Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-16-2016, 6:11 AM Reply   
So I have a large scratch down the side of my boat probably 2' long and pretty deep. Any ideas what kind of cost is reasonable? I plan to take it to my dealer for some warrantee work and I figure they have someone they recommend but wanted to ask what others typically have payed for something similar? . (Had my last boat 6 years and zero scratches that couldn't be buffed out!(1 year in a new boat and I have 3! Go figure!

Not sure if color matters but my hull is yellow and black and its split between the colors!

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Old     (Blamey)      Join Date: Apr 2016       10-17-2016, 6:59 AM Reply   
Fixing gel is pretty easy. You make the scratch bigger so the gel has something to stick to, fill the whole, let it cure and sand it down. Probably about an hours or two's work.

The hard part matching the color. This takes skill and because you have two different colors that will increase the cost. I have never had gel coat work done but I have received vastly different quotes and damage to my boat. My guess based on your description is $200 to $500 depending on who you get to do it. I really have no idea whats reasonable but I feel like this type of thing can vary greatly based on where you are.

Not sure what boat you have but Spectrum sells patch kits for gel coat, because your boat is new it may be a pretty close match. If you are feeling adventurous you may want to try fix it yourself using a kit. I have been doing this on my boat and am getting better with each repair. I was estimated $800 (by a very expensive marina) to fix the nose of my boat and did it myself with a $20 Spectrum patch kit. Repair looks okay I'd give it a 7/10. Looks fine from 5 feet away but close up you can see a color difference. I doubt anybody would notice it unless I pointed it out. But I have a 20 year old boat.
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-17-2016, 12:51 PM Reply   
thanks for the info, yeah I am hoping for the 300-400$ price but if they ask above 500 I plan to try myself. My only reservation is weather that would somehow effect the warrantee? I wouldn't think so but these days you never know.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-17-2016, 1:44 PM Reply   
unless your gelcoat is warrantied, shouldn't have any affect on it. I'd try a single color no problem, matching 2 colors is above my pay grade
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-17-2016, 1:48 PM Reply   
also, buy these
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-18-2016, 10:51 AM Reply   
lol I have the exact 4 shown in that photo!

made the mistake of letting my brother take my nephew out wakeboarding while I was out of town! UGGHHH!!!!!!
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-18-2016, 11:34 AM Reply   
I got a quote at the boat show some Gel work on the nose of my boat. It was 700 for the Gel with two different colors. They did tell me if I drop it off in non boating season I could save a couple hundred bucks. So I'm going to take it to them this winter.

Here are some pic's. Was going to do it my self but change my mind after really thing about it. Since it's on a point and has two colors.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=804585
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       10-18-2016, 1:16 PM Reply   
Fixing it is easy I fixed a good gouge on mine BUT getting the color right is impossible it seems . I tried 4 different times and we decided it was perfect and applied it to the boat and low a behold it doesn't match . I was going to remove it and redo it but after a couple of my friends couldn't find the repair I decided it must be good enough hahaha
Old     (Blamey)      Join Date: Apr 2016       10-21-2016, 4:59 PM Reply   
Here's a pic of my repair. Was my first attempt and I paid the price for cutting corners. Firstly I didn't clean up the area enough first, I though leaving some of the existing gel coat would make shaping the repair easier but it didn't. Also I got that chip because I didn't remove the rub rail before doing g the repair. Overall it looks much better than before. All the spots you can now see are lighter white were basically down to fiberglass. Looked similar to the link in the post above. I was just lucky it was one color.

I'll probably redo the repair when I replace my rub rail, which I plan to do sometime in the next couple years. But for now you really have to look at the nose close up to notice the repair.
Attached Images

Old    ddummitt            10-25-2016, 2:39 PM Reply   
A buddy that does custom kitchen and bath counter tops did my repair for a case of beer. I provided a patch kit from spectra and you can't find the repairs.

He didn't start on the beer until he was finished with the gel coat