Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (nittyp)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-30-2014, 11:24 AM Reply   
I am shopping for a few new boards for the boat and was hoping I could get your opinions on a few things:
1) I am reading a lot fo things here that say the Wakesurf only companies are making a better board than the WB/WS manufacturers.. However these boards are definitely more expensive. I am more concerned about learning and progressing for everyone that will be wakesurfing in the best manner possible.. Meaning, is it better to invest in a few nicer, handmade boards as they are going to perform better (?) and last longer (?) or is it better to just a couple mass produced boards from LF, Ronix, CWB, Hyperlite etc.. Knowing that they will be community boards.

I don't want to buy the cheaper alternative to regret it after a few months and then have to spend the bigger money shortly thereafter.. Are all of the $300 to $600 boards fragile and not made as well?

These boards will be for beginner to intermediate experience levels.

Thanks for any insight. ; - )
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-30-2014, 1:01 PM Reply   
It's kind of a catch 22 in my opinion. You really need a beginner board to get you going for a few months and then when you are ready, bump up to a custom. They ride completely different and I can't imagine trying to learn on one. The mass produced boards are definitely more durable than the customs and they are easier to ride. My brother got the LF Custom Quad (now called the Fiver) in a 5'0" and it's actually a decent board, heavy, but decent. LF put a few more coats of glass/resin on it to try and make it more durable but even it is still somewhat fragile. Buy a used pop-out board to learn on and then get yourself a custom and keep the pop-out as a boat board for teaching new people on.
Just my opinion, other's may, and probably will, vary.
Old     (JMoore15)      Join Date: Sep 2012       08-30-2014, 2:19 PM Reply   
Plus, it's nice when you do upgrade to have a board to keep in your boat for beginners and keep them off your custom.
Old     (CRS_mi)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-30-2014, 2:57 PM Reply   
I agree. Get something compression molded for a "boat board" and then something good for the experienced riders.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-31-2014, 7:37 AM Reply   
There is very little difference between the construction of most boards from 'wakeboard' companies and 'wake surf' companies. The vast majority, especially surf style boards are hand shaped, laminated, etc. Many even use the same factories. A lot of boards might look like they are compression molded, but they are not, and in fact virtually only price point skim style boards are compression molded.

The main difference between a wakesurf company, that knows what they are doing (there a numerous out there that clearly have no idea what they are doing), and a wakeboard company is shapes/designs. This is what wakesurf companies do, and why the boards tend to 'ride' better. Wakeboard companies produce boards for dealers, and what a dealer expects to sell on the floor at a price/margin that makes since. Wakesurf companies produce board for riders.

Nick
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-31-2014, 4:10 PM Reply   
Serious question for Nick and anyone else in the know...

Why is a 4'8" wakesurf board significantly more money than a 6'+ regular surfboard - when they're essentially the same thing in different sizes? (logic would dictate that the bigger board should be more expensive - more materials).

I have my suspicions on the reasons.. but curious to hear your take.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-31-2014, 5:19 PM Reply   
I think its called "premium pricing"....basically the higher the price, we believe it is a higher quality...so therefore we "have to pay that" for the board. I think the bigger wakeboard companies will be putting forth a slow death for some of boutique wakesurf board companies sadly. Some of the "wakeboard" surfboards aren't so bad.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-31-2014, 8:21 PM Reply   
Well in reality, they cost more to build. It is a specialized product that is not produced by lots of shops/factories. Your average polyurethane shortboard is $450 to $675. EPS/Epoxy surfboards are on average $100 to $200 more. Add S-glass or higher strength fiberglass and now you are in the premium surfboard range which will run you $800 to 1200. Virtually all wakesurfs are eps/epoxy. They are built stronger than your average shortboard; more layers of fiberglass and higher weight fiberglass, requiring more epoxy. Molded boards have the front end expensive of the mold, and good molded boards use expensive materials, like carbon fiber and ballistic fabrics. The raw materials cost more, even though the boards are smaller on average.

Yes, you can find cheap knock off surfboards from china on sale for $350 or $400, but you get what you pay for. The average cost of manufacturing a surfboard in the US, wholesale is $400.

I doubt any of the wakeboard brands will kill the custom board market. Good custom board manufactures can constantly be innovating while the wakeboard brands play catch up. We already see this with some wakeboard brands simply emulating the look of wakesurf company boards. Wakeboard brands change color and designs every year to keep their warranty program in check, but the board still do not ride as well as wakesurf company boards on average, and get more expensive every year. Your higher end LF or Ronix board produced in China is nearly as expensive as many custom boards now and is comparable to most wakesurf company production style board models.

Last edited by Chaos; 08-31-2014 at 8:24 PM. Reason: fun
Old     (dejoeco)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-02-2014, 6:11 AM Reply   
Are you looking for Skim or Surf style in this board? Do you have wakeboarding or ocean surf experience? The first question is obvious as why I am asking so you can get the correct board. The second may indicate how fast you would progress in the sport. It is always nice to have a beginner or boat board, but depending on your circumstances you may want a better board to start with. I have always found that beeter equipment, regardless of the sport, helps.
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       09-02-2014, 7:43 AM Reply   
Ride the board you like, try as many as you can before you buy. We have both, small shop customs and from large companies. They each have their pro’s & cons. I’m an old guy so I remember this same debate in the 90’s over buying wakeboards from ski companies.
Old     (nittyp)      Join Date: Aug 2014       09-02-2014, 11:17 AM Reply   
Thanks for the replies. The entire family is new to the sport, we just bought a new boat (A24). We have been into boating for years. My daughters 8 and 11 have tubed, ski'd on doubles etc. We are now getting ready to learn how to surf and wakeboard. I've wakeboarded over the past fifteen years, but maybe once a summer. My daughters are both interested in learning to do both, more anxious to try surfing since the speed is a bit slower. I think the thought of it may be less intimidating for them. I've got experience in boogie boarding and mud-boarding, and tried to surf in Hawaii a few times.. Took lessons twenty years ago! I'm forty BTW. I want the best boards for me to learn, and for them to learn. I will have other newbie surfers on-board, both men and women. I want to buy three beginner boards. One for the kids, one for a lighter weight adult and one for bigger guy format (200lbs).

I don't want to buy $300 boards and then realize in six months they aren't what we need.. Right now I am eyeballing Phase 5 Scamp and Oogle.. Also checking out Inland Surfer and Shred Stixx but they are a bit more pricey. Seems like LF, Hyperlite, Ronix, CWB etc offer higher end boards, that run along the $600 - $800 mark too.. Just want to buy the three best for what I'm looking for that will help everyone on the board learn and have fun, but be able to use these boards and have them quality enough to last a while (hopefully!)..

Thanks!
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-02-2014, 2:05 PM Reply   
Phase 5 , Shredd Stixx and Inland surfer, should be the 3 you buy. IS for the beginners, Phase 5 for the intermediate, and the Shredd Stixx for yourself.
I would buy a IS for the groms, a Phase 5 skim style and Shredd Stixx surf style, these will both work for a variety of weight ranges
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-03-2014, 8:59 AM Reply   
If the entire family is new to the sport, buy a board that you can all use and go from there. You don't need to spend $500+ per board, per person to have fun. Take a season to learn airs and 360s (super easy on any board any size) and go from there. Based on how you all progress, you can pick a route to go. There are plenty of great boards at every wakeboard shop that will last a lifetime and cover any size beginner to intermediate rider.

If you have a $500+ board and can't do a 360 you are a sucker (I added this last line just for fun).
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-03-2014, 9:09 AM Reply   
I think you should get an inland surfer Taco and use if for everyone for a while. http://inlandsurfer.com/boards/2014/tako.htm

This board can be configured for both surf style and skim style by changing fin configurations. It can also accommodate a very wide range of rider sizes.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-03-2014, 9:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
I think you should get an inland surfer Taco and use if for everyone for a while. http://inlandsurfer.com/boards/2014/tako.htm

This board can be configured for both surf style and skim style by changing fin configurations. It can also accommodate a very wide range of rider sizes.
Ahhh, yes. The Inland Surfer TACO

Seriously though, I've owned a Tako and it worked for anyone from 125lbs to 200+lbs. I was able to air it out and 360 it all the time. Great board.

Last edited by petrie141; 09-03-2014 at 9:57 AM.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-03-2014, 10:44 AM Reply   
skiboarder.....Just because someone can't do a 360 doesn't make you a sucker! Thats like saying, if you cant do invert on a wakeboard, you should be riding a 1980's Skurfer. If you can do a 360 on a wakeboard brand wakesurfer, it does not mean you will be able to do one on a 500 $ plus custom wakesurf board.
just sayin.......... always a bunch of haters on this site! Unbelievable!
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-03-2014, 10:45 AM Reply   
By the way, my liquid Force custom fell apart, along with my Ronix Koal, they will not last a lifetime!
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-03-2014, 12:40 PM Reply   
Anthony, It was trolling and made I it super obvious. Relax, dude.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-03-2014, 3:00 PM Reply   
its all good, relaxing now. LOL obviously I'm still working on my 3 LOL
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       09-04-2014, 11:12 AM Reply   
Another vote for the Inland Surfer Tako - very versatile. We ride it surf style and skim. We have taught plenty of newbies on this board from 7 yr old kids to 40 yr old overweight dudes and the more experienced riders enjoy it too. It will last for a long time is very well built and lots of fun.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-15-2014, 11:46 PM Reply   
If you ride a compression moulded board and ride a custom board. You will notice a world of difference in how they handle, how well they ride, the control they have. it is actually a different style of surfing.
The same goes for riding surf style and riding skim style. They each have their own riding qualities and skillsets. You don't ride a skim style the same you would a surf style and you don't ride a custom the same way you would ride a compression moulded.
The characteristics of the boards dictate a different style of riding.

I wouldn't recommend a custom board to anyone learning. It would most likely discourage you because they can be harder to ride if you aren't experienced already. Even if you are experienced, there can be a learning curve.

The best way I can describe the riding styles between your out of the box Ronix, Hyperlite, etc. compression moulded board as compared to riding a custom board like a Soulcraft, Doomswell, etc. is with this phrase we say jokingly
"Stop trying to screw the board. You have to make love to the board."

You don't do short, quicker, jerky movements. The boards don't like that too well. The way they ride is if they want longer, deliberate, smooth, fluid movements. You surf like you mean it, not like you're just trying to stay on top of the water like a cat avoiding the bath.