Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (BigJohnsonUT)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-17-2014, 1:52 PM Reply   
Hey guys, this is my first post. I have been a boater my entire life, but have been out of it for the past 2 years as we had a new baby (our 3rd and last) and so we sold our boat at the time. Now we are ready to jump back in and get going this summer. I have owned at different times a 2006 Malibu Wakesetter VLX, 2007 Mastercraft X30, Tige 22V Cant remember what year it was, and a Centurion Elite V.
As I have ventured out this week to go Boat shopping I was shocked by 2 things: 1. The huge price jump that has occurred since i was last a boat owner, and 2. The awesome amount of new technologies and luxuries available on these new boats.
Anyway, I have looked at all 2014 models of the following: Tige Z3, Mastercraft X30, Nautique G21, G23, and 230, MB F22, Malibu 23 LSV, Centurions, Supra SC450, and Moomba Mojo 2.5. When deciding on a boat the Dealership Service area, Customer Service, Etc is a HUGE factor. I am not brand loyal in any way. They all seem to be great boats. My family is comprised of myself, my wife, a 12 year old, 8 year old, and our 2 year old. My wife and I wakeboard and my oldest 2 want to learn, but we dont need a huge wake. I like the wake to be clean with no wash however. We can do minor tricks etc as we clear the wake but nothing extreme. My wife and I LOVE to wakesurf and will spend the majority of our boating time, wakesurfing and then tubing with the kids hanging out on the water etc...We go to Lake Powell a couple times a year when possible and so Rough water ride is also a big deciding factor for us...We want to narrow down our choices to 2 or 3 then go demo.
Based on that info here are my thoughts. Let me know if im on the right track here

1. The MB dealership is tiny and turned me off a little bit, but i loved the MB F22 and more importantly my wife loved it. They would be on top of the list if it wasn't for the tiny/new dealership.
2. Malibu: we have owned Malibu before and I was not happy with the rough water ride and the wakeboarding wake was always washing out on us. The dealership is nice and the salesperson that helps us there is awesome/treats us great! but the service area always seems backed up and very busy. Nice place though.
3.Mastercraft: In my opinion the best dealership in the area by far. The customer service is AMAZING and we had an amazing experience with our previous X30 that we bought from them. They bend over backwards to keep people happy. Delivered a brand new tower 5 hours each way to us on a vacation when ours broke while boating in Island Park Idaho. Delivered it and installed it for FREE the same day and didn't even question it. wow. For this reason the X30 is back in the top 3 of our list, but the price is a little high. Nice boat. nice things but Im not sure if it is worth 106-108K for an X30. Seems priced to high.
4. Nautique. The G21 and G23 are my wifes favorite based on storage capacity and nice features. I love the look of the boats and the features offered as well. The dealership treats us well but it is a bit smaller and Im not sold on the service there yet. The owner and salesman are great and treat us like family. So i'm sure that would continue. However the price for the G23 and G21 are out of this world. Not sure if its worth the extra $$$. Dealership is only a mile or two from our home...
5. Tige Z3. Dealership is very nice and seem to be on top of things. Furthest away from our home though so the drive out there would get old. Our mid-Late 2000's Tige 22V was a piece of crap. My wife and I hated it Had tons of problems and we sold it after 1 summer. The new Tige's seem to be much improved and we have heard good things about the wake and rough water ride. at 90K for a pretty loaded model the price was decent compared to the other brands. We are just not sold on the quality of Tige.
6. Supra SC450: The happens to be my favorite of the list based on looks and amenities etc...The dealership seems awesome and they have treated us great so far and they have a huge service dept that seems to be on top of things. It is a bit of a drive but not too bad. Loaded out its priced out around the high 90s. I don't know anything about this brand and so it would be great to hear from you all about your experiences with it. quality, rough water ride, wake capabilities etc. I will say their wakesurf system seems to be awesome. Looking forward to getting out on a demo.

Anyway, please weigh in on your experiences and thoughts. I appreciate your insight. I know many of you will say go demo them and see what we like but we don't have the time nor do we want to demo the entire list so help me narrow it down to 2 or 3. If any of you are from Utah you can weigh in on local dealer experiences as well. Price is a factor as I want to get the best deal possible, but we can handle any boat on the list...
My initial top 3 would be:
1. Supra SC450
2. Mastercraft X30
3. Nautique G21/Malibu 23 LSV

I thank you in advance for your honest and helpful comments and opinions!
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-17-2014, 2:25 PM Reply   
Good luck! That is a list of the best wake boats on the planet. The 4 you listed are the 4 boats you should be looking at. All have surf systems, all have clean wakeboard wakes, all have top notch surf waves. Man, in that list it might come down to the little things for you. The interior you prefer, the tower you like better (If you have to fold it a lot, how easy is it to fold), the storage, the rear facing seating, stereo, looks, and dealer. Well, not little things I guess, but all 4 boats will be more than enough wake and wave wise. I actually posted a similar thread 2 years ago debating between the 23LSV and the new at the time X-30.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...12+X-30+Malibu
Old     (whatshesaid)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-17-2014, 2:38 PM Reply   
If yall enjoy surfing, you need to demo the Z3!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-17-2014, 3:27 PM Reply   
One thing to consider might be surf systems. 2 of the 6 boats don't have surf systems. Those 2 boats might be the best pure surf boats of the 6 but it also means they need to be listed which also means more ballast taking up storage, lots of weight to switch side to side if you want to surf the other side and just a listed boat to deal with. I don't know if the surf system boats create the surf wave as a heavily weighted listed boat but from reports they can make very good waves with extra ballast evenly distributed side to side. Instead of plumbing a a 1500# sack on each side for surfing you can plumb a 750 on each side and evenly weight. The convenience of the surf systems is just awesome in my opinion.

You mentioned clean wake at slower speeds for the kiddos. I don't know about the G but from all accounts the new Supra's, Malibu's and X30 all have nice, clean wakes at lower speeds. I am not sure about the F22 and Tige but traditionally deeper V boats don't clean up at lower speeds so that may be something to check.

I feel like the G is in a class of it's own with the boats you mentioned. IT is so much bigger and different then the others. The SC is also smaller(at least length wise) then the 23LSV and X30.

Man, that is a tough call. It sounds like you really had a great experience with the MC dealer so that would be hard to overlook. I have a solution. Buy 2 of them and whichever one you like less give to me.
Old     (Tims)      Join Date: Feb 2014       04-17-2014, 3:52 PM Reply   
I had the exact same list and requirements that you did!! Went with the #1 choice, SC450! After I test drove all 3 the decision was easy.

Good luck!!
Old     (saae4)      Join Date: Feb 2014       04-17-2014, 4:01 PM Reply   
X25
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-17-2014, 4:11 PM Reply   
Curious what motors the dealers are spec'ing for these boats given that you are at altitude?
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-17-2014, 4:21 PM Reply   
Sounds like surfing and rough water ride and the key elements on the boat, Centurion Enzo should be at the top of that list! Not knowing what your local dealer situation is, but an Enzo 233, or 244, or FX22/44 wins over the others in those two categories hands down, plus one of the best warranties in the industry. The SV233 has a killer wakeboard wake too!
Old     (BigJohnsonUT)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-17-2014, 4:40 PM Reply   
The lower end boats MB and Moomba have the 350 horse. Tige has the 409. The mastercraft has the ilmoor 6.0. Malibu has the 450. Supra has the 450. The G23 has the 550 the G21 has the 450 I believe...
Old     (BigJohnsonUT)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-17-2014, 4:41 PM Reply   
My wife immediately said no to centurion as the storage in those is terrible. (Her opinion). She said no way
Old     (jdhart73)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-17-2014, 4:50 PM Reply   
If the X30 is spec'd with a 6.0L you can get it much cheaper than 106k, thats nuts.
Low 90's should be easily attainable and upper 80's without tricked out trailer.

You can also find a gang load of 2013's in the X30 out there right now with little to no hours for less than can be retrofitted with Gen2.
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-17-2014, 5:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
My wife immediately said no to centurion as the storage in those is terrible. (Her opinion). She said no way
I know a lot of dealers are making the mistake and ordering all of their boats with ramfill, and with that I agree. The boats with the bag ballast setup retain the storage with the bags empty, and they actually surf better IMO, more weight and you can place it where you want it. Any boat with over 4K lbs of ballast has to sacrifice some storage, much better in my eyes to have all of the ballast from the factory (covered under warranty) then have to add it later, pay for more ballast installed and finally you end up with an average wave!
Old     (Rusty)      Join Date: Mar 2014       04-17-2014, 7:08 PM Reply   
To answer your question about info on the SC 450, I've driven and boarded behind one and I gatta say I think from a performance perspective (handling, ride, comfort) it will be hard to beat. Not to mention, the new SA/SC hull is definitely one of the best in the business for wakeboarding and swell is an awesome surf system. It's pretty cool to have two types of waves that you can make (skim and barrel) and also switch sides on the fly as well. I think you're on the right track with SC being your favorite, it's an impressive machine.

Also, the 450 motor with the tuned exhaust on the Supra sounds AMAZING

Last edited by Rusty; 04-17-2014 at 7:12 PM.
Old     (BigJohnsonUT)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-17-2014, 7:18 PM Reply   
Is 98-100K for a loaded out SC450 in the right ballpark? Has almost everything but the upgraded bimini...Thanks to all for your replies so far. Im getting a lot of love for the Supra...I'll definitely put that in the 3 to demo. Then MC x and the last im still deciding...
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-17-2014, 7:33 PM Reply   
You my friend are in a hell of a tough spot. It's gotta be rough choosing between those. You live a hard life my friend!! Ha I wish I had your problem! Good luck!! My vote is for the G series.
Old     (Rusty)      Join Date: Mar 2014       04-17-2014, 7:34 PM Reply   
I think that's a fair price to start at for sure. I think MSRP on that is at or above 120K but that's a guess. I think mid to high 90s on a loaded 450 is definitely a fair number. Make sure they get you the upgraded 750 ballast bags for the rear compartments. Those things make the wake freakin sweeeeeet.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       04-17-2014, 7:41 PM Reply   
Go with the Supra SC 450! Has all the qualities you're looking for and Marine Products is an awesome dealership! Randy Casper and the MP crew will treat you right, always!
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-17-2014, 8:32 PM Reply   
For me it would be really hard to pass up at least a demo of the F22! That boat brand new loaded with a 409 can be had for atleast $40 lower than your x30. But if money isn't a issue then I really see no reason to go with anything other than a g, unless u need to keep it in a garage and trailer it wherever u go.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-17-2014, 8:32 PM Reply   
If you have to limit your demo to three I'd go LSV, X30, and SC. They can all be had for around $100k, they all have surf systems, clean wakes at low speed, and top notch interiors. All around good, fair comparison. Just be sure each boat is set up for best possible surf wave (e.g. right size bags, optimal speed, proper wedge position, etc.). Getting one small detail wrong on any of these boats will leave you with the impression that it's inferior, and it might just be user error.

As for the G... it's really in a different class from a size, capability, and price perspective. Unless your prepared to spend $30k - $40k more, why torture yourself. You already know the wife is going to want it. I'd be sure to have my affairs in order before letting myself get too tempted by one.

I should address MB since you're wife liked the F22. I agree with her, it's a home run for MB. But I don't she'll feel that way after demos in the other 3 - 4 mentioned. No surf system, antiquated dash, and a wake that won't clean up until you get to 21mph (not good for kids who want to go 17-18 mph). At least that was my experience with my two previous MB's.

Last edited by ixfe; 04-17-2014 at 8:38 PM.
Old     (jdhart73)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-17-2014, 9:39 PM Reply   
Good points ^^^
Old     (BigJohnsonUT)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-17-2014, 9:53 PM Reply   
Good Points, I agree. The 23 LSV scares me for some reason. Our '06 VLX was a sweet lookin boat and the fit and finish was amazing, but the rough water ride killed us and the wakeboarding wake seemed to be so finicky. We always had wash out on the wake even at speed. So constantly rearranging where people and our friends were sitting etc.
Are the newer models improved in these regards? I guess the 23 LSV would ride better in rough water for sheer size...
The wake surfing wave would be great no doubt...
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-18-2014, 5:11 AM Reply   
Something to keep in mind about the g series is you will probably need a 3/4 ton truck to tow it effectively. If you currently have a 1/2 ton and have any sort of distance to the ramp, you should reconsider.

But the Nautiques are the best boats, hence the price.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-18-2014, 5:56 AM Reply   
from your comments it sure sounds like you guys really want a G. Don't let people fool you on here, if you work with your dealer you can get a nicely equipped G21 much closer to $100k than you might think! Although 100k is big money and really kinda stupid for any run around boat, I'd feel much more comfortable dropping it on a G than a supra or Malibu! And really there is nothing in the MC lineup that can compete with the g series either and they are more expensive than supra or Bu! Most of these other boats your looking at really can only be compared to the 230 or 210 not the G.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-18-2014, 6:02 AM Reply   
Your 06 vlx experience notwithstanding (in my experience that boat cleans up slow no problem), flatter bottomed boats like the malibu will generally have a low speed wake that cleans up earlier, and a poorer rough water ride. On the other hand a v-hulled boat like the MB, Supreme, Centurion, etc. will have a significantly better rough water ride and more surf wake potential, but at the expense of a clean low speed wakeboard wake.

Rumors abound about a forthcoming (retrofittable!) MB surf system, but I'll believe it when I see it (on my boat).

The LS3 seems like the way to go on the 23' surf system boats, especially for you in Utah.

If you'd consider lightly used, I've been hoping someone will buy this 2013 230 soon, so I don't have to look at it on my local CL: http://reno.craigslist.org/bod/4351495207.html

Last edited by shawndoggy; 04-18-2014 at 6:07 AM.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-18-2014, 6:07 AM Reply   
Easy choice you love your Mastercraft dealer and want to surf so buy the X30. It has an awesome surf wave. These guys use the X30 and im sure they could answer any questions you have just drop them a line http://www.wakesurfaz.com/Our-Wave.html
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-18-2014, 7:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
Your 06 vlx experience notwithstanding (in my experience that boat cleans up slow no problem), flatter bottomed boats like the malibu will generally have a low speed wake that cleans up earlier, and a poorer rough water ride. On the other hand a v-hulled boat like the MB, Supreme, Centurion, etc. will have a significantly better rough water ride and more surf wake potential, but at the expense of a clean low speed wakeboard wake.

Rumors abound about a forthcoming (retrofittable!) MB surf system, but I'll believe it when I see it (on my boat).

The LS3 seems like the way to go on the 23' surf system boats, especially for you in Utah.

If you'd consider lightly used, I've been hoping someone will buy this 2013 230 soon, so I don't have to look at it on my local CL: http://reno.craigslist.org/bod/4351495207.html
CJ,

Shaw is 100% right about the pros and cons of flat bottom vs. deep v-hull boats. That's why I cringed when I read you say you want a great rough water ride, but also a clean wake for a young family. Those characteristics are generally at odds with eachother.

Here are some other characteristics of flat vs. deep V: flat bottom boats handle better and turn tighter (not saying that's the most important thing, but it can be fun and it's noticable). Also, the wake shape at wakeboarding speed tends to be different. The deep V boats like the MB and the SAN 230 have a tall, steep wake (some say it's like hitting a curb) while the flat bottom boats wakes feature wakes that have a longer, mellow transition before you get to the lip. As previously stated the flat bottom boats will have a cleaner low-speed wake (e.g. 17 - 19 mph), while the deep V boats will be washed out at those speeds. Finally, the deep V boats tend to be more side-to-side sensitive than the flat bottom hulls. That's because it takes less weight (e.g. a small child changing seats) to roll the deep-v hull on it's side which produces wash on the opposite side.

I have owned two MB's (TWB & F21) and two Malibu VLX's (with and without surf gate). I'm not sure what your VLX experience was like, but it surprises me to hear that. It's the opposite of anything I've ever read or seen on a VLX. With a flat bottom Malibus don't roll over as easily as most boats which means they are less side-to-side sensitive. As Shawn pointed out it also means they take more weight to roll over for surfing, but trust me, it can be done (the LSV is widely regarded as an excellent surf boat). The other factor on the Malibus that make them super stable side-to-side is the wedge. When it's deployed it has the effect of pulling the transom down and "locking" the boat into position. This makes it even more stable and impervious to people moving around inside.

Here's a video of my VLX at 18mph (no ballast, no wedge) pulling my daughter. Whatever boat you get, make sure it can do this.

Last edited by ixfe; 04-18-2014 at 7:27 AM.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-18-2014, 7:33 AM Reply   
Yeah you have an awesome line up of boats to pick from. You probably can't go wrong with any of them. I will profess that I just bought a new Supra SC350 and I am really digging it. Supra has come light years from past years. Interior, wake, surf system, dash technology/integration, etc are all different and top notch. I have heard that Marine Products in Utah is awesome as well. I got the 350 and it seems to have plenty of power loaded down, but we are at no altitude here. You probably are at altitude, so the 450 is probably a must. Definitely demo it and make your own opinion. As I stated, you are in a lucky spot with a great list of boats and make sure you have fun with the process. Don't let all of us folks on the interweb pick for you. Go with your gut after demo'ing them and building a relationship with each dealer. Pics once you decide...
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-18-2014, 7:37 AM Reply   
I agree with the above post regarding Malibu.

I however, do contest the this notion that boats with flat hulls at the transom ride worse.

As evidence, see the following video and note the explanation at 2:11 regarding hull design and the breaking point.

http://youtu.be/6ouc1Fw0NKQ?t=2m11s

Last edited by boardjnky4; 04-18-2014 at 7:39 AM.
Old     (BigJohnsonUT)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-18-2014, 8:46 AM Reply   
The Malibu VLX that we had was our very first direct drive/v-drive boat. Because of that we probably didn't know how to weight it properly etc and therefore had issues with the wake always washing out on one side...I'll demo the LSV and see what I think...
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       04-18-2014, 8:46 AM Reply   
With a " new small dealer " you know that there will not be 100 boats in front of you.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-18-2014, 9:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
I agree with the above post regarding Malibu.

I however, do contest the this notion that boats with flat hulls at the transom ride worse.

As evidence, see the following video and note the explanation at 2:11 regarding hull design and the breaking point.

http://youtu.be/6ouc1Fw0NKQ?t=2m11s
My experience is limited to five different malibus, including one I owned and put 150 hours on. They all had substantially worse rough water ride than my MB. There are many many other factors that go into choosing the right boat for your family, but if rough (or "big") water ride were the ONLY one, I'd prefer the deeper V hull, at least to a malibu.

Of course, I've not been on a 2014 LSV and that boat could be substantially improved in this regard. It does have a lot more freeboard than LSVs of years past.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-18-2014, 9:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
My experience is limited to five different malibus, including one I owned and put 150 hours on. They all had substantially worse rough water ride than my MB. There are many many other factors that go into choosing the right boat for your family, but if rough (or "big") water ride were the ONLY one, I'd prefer the deeper V hull, at least to a malibu.

Of course, I've not been on a 2014 LSV and that boat could be substantially improved in this regard. It does have a lot more freeboard than LSVs of years past.
Personal experience does trump theory. If that's what you've experienced, then it's a valid point.

All I am saying is, don't discount flat-transom boats completely, go demo them.

I'm a huge Malibu fan and having driven several different ones (all 2012 or newer), I don't think they have such a bad ride as people say. Older ones that I have been in (sv23 hull) were CONSIDERABLY worse.
Old     (Capt_Moe)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-18-2014, 9:26 AM Reply   
The G was made for Lake Powell (ask the people that run Antelope Point). Lots of storage, lots of free board and has a nice rough water ride. It also has an adjustable surf wake and an awesome wakeboard wake. The G has started a new class for tow boats. I guess you know what my vote is. Good luck with the hull process. .02
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-18-2014, 9:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
Personal experience does trump theory. If that's what you've experienced, then it's a valid point.

All I am saying is, don't discount flat-transom boats completely, go demo them.

I'm a huge Malibu fan and having driven several different ones (all 2012 or newer), I don't think they have such a bad ride as people say. Older ones that I have been in (sv23 hull) were CONSIDERABLY worse.
Yes, mine was 06 vride (SV23). My brother still gives me a hard time about when we had to traverse about 8 miles of whitecaps at about 11 mph and were dying for kidney belts. 03 lsv was similar. 05 vlx, and 12 vlx a bit better. 11 lsv better still. But still not "great" by any means.
Old     (mxvet)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-18-2014, 9:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnsonUT View Post

1. The MB dealership is tiny and turned me off a little bit, but i loved the MB F22 and more importantly my wife loved it. They would be on top of the list if it wasn't for the tiny/new dealership.
!
That tiny dealership in Utah is second to none. I live in CO and bought from those guys. The local MB guys in Utah have nothing but good things to say about them. BIG dealerships are not always the best IMO and the quality /service level of the dealer is extremely important when buying a new boat (ask me how I know). You are gonna have issues no matter how big/small or which boat you get in the first 50 hrs.

Also of the boats you have listed, ( I would take any of them) the MB will be 20-30K cheaper. food for thought.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-18-2014, 9:52 AM Reply   
CJ, one other consideration, especially at altitude where you need to go over/through the mountains... what are you towing with? Those G series boats would pretty much require a diesel in Utah, I'd think.
Old     (BigJohnsonUT)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-18-2014, 11:02 AM Reply   
I have a '13 ford raptor...plenty of power but I'm not sure if the suspension can handle it...might be time for a diesel or a ecoboost?
Old     (BigJohnsonUT)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-18-2014, 2:37 PM Reply   
The MB dealership told me that the sold the second most amount of boats last year in UT second only to malibu, but they only have 1 service bay? That concerns me. They seem nice but im not sure they can handle the load. Maybe im off base...
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-18-2014, 2:57 PM Reply   
Supra for sure. I too am about 40 miles from my dealer but it was well worth the boat we got.
and you will love the eco boost
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-18-2014, 5:25 PM Reply   
Of those 3 boats the supra is the smallest and X30 is the largest. The X30 will also have the most storage of those 3 boats. Supra and Bu have wake plates while the Bu has the wedge.

I own a 2013 X30 and much like all the other owners, have been totally happy with the boat and it's performance. From a family perspective it has been almost perfect.

Once you actually drive and use all 3 boats you will have a clear winner in your own eyes. Very comparable boats.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-18-2014, 11:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
Of those 3 boats the supra is the smallest and X30 is the largest. The X30 will also have the most storage of those 3 boats.
Are you sure that's still true? It certainly was last year, but have you compared the X30 to the new LSV?
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       04-19-2014, 6:00 AM Reply   
Man what a choice you're up against... Bought our MB with Reboats and never had a problem with them servicing the boat. I have had mine in for service and all the time it's been same day.
Marine Products will have everything under the sun you will need. Randy is one of the best dudes I have met and really knows how to run a shop. I have never used their service department so cant plug my opinion there. The SC has really stepped it up, good luck with your choice. Hope to see ya one the waters of UT real soon.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-19-2014, 8:28 AM Reply   
Hey ifxe, I'm sure it's a lot closer than in 2012. The X30 actually has the most storage out of the entire MC line up, even more than the X55. It's listed at 107 cubic feet. My kids called in the tunnel boat at the boat show because they could climb in at the bow and crawl all the way under to the rear lockers.

Storage isn't as big a deal for some as it is for others, but for us it was pretty important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfe View Post
Are you sure that's still true? It certainly was last year, but have you compared the X30 to the new LSV?
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-19-2014, 8:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
Hey ifxe, I'm sure it's a lot closer than in 2012. The X30 actually has the most storage out of the entire MC line up, even more than the X55. It's listed at 107 cubic feet. My kids called in the tunnel boat at the boat show because they could climb in at the bow and crawl all the way under to the rear lockers.

Storage isn't as big a deal for some as it is for others, but for us it was pretty important.

Yeah, I love that "tunnel" feature. Very cool. Wish all boats did that.
Old     (LeeG23)      Join Date: Feb 2013       04-20-2014, 6:34 AM Reply   
I have a G23 so I realize I'm biased, but I have to say the G is the type of boat that will continue to impress you each time you are on it. It is huge inside with tons of storage. Handles rough water and rollers very well. The entire boat well thought out. I have a Malibu 23 lsv and and nautique 230 prior to this boat. Have a buddy with an axis a22. I've been in a lot of different boats and they all have great features but currently the G series has the best of the combination of features

At Dallas boat show I really liked the supra SA 450. My neighbor looking at them hard right now. I think u wouldn't be unhappy if that was your choice.
Old     (CCWakerider)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-23-2014, 10:58 AM Reply   
I had a VLX here in Utah last year and recently sold a 210 Nautique with NSS. I chose to go with the new 23 LSV for this year. The changes made on the LSV make it a great rough water boat with the high freeboard, plus the new dash and great interior layout, plus the Surfgate is bar-none the BEST Surf system on the market today. I would encourage you to reach out to Taylor's and get a demo, as you will not be disappointed!
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       04-23-2014, 11:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCWakerider View Post
I had a VLX here in Utah last year and recently sold a 210 Nautique with NSS. I chose to go with the new 23 LSV for this year. The changes made on the LSV make it a great rough water boat with the high freeboard, plus the new dash and great interior layout, plus the Surfgate is bar-none the BEST Surf system on the market today. I would encourage you to reach out to Taylor's and get a demo, as you will not be disappointed!
what makes surfgate the BEST? So many brands out there with great systems and I'm not saying it's sub par at all, but since this thread is requesting first hand experience can you explain why you feel surfgate is the BEST.
Old     (Tims)      Join Date: Feb 2014       04-23-2014, 3:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakedaveup View Post
what makes surfgate the BEST? So many brands out there with great systems and I'm not saying it's sub par at all, but since this thread is requesting first hand experience can you explain why you feel surfgate is the BEST.
Since Malibu did not change the running surface of the new 23LSV, how did the rough water ride improve? Was it just the addition of weight?
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       04-23-2014, 3:30 PM Reply   
If you're really OK with spending in the 100K range. Do yourself a favor and buy the G.
If you're in the 80's & 90's then the others are best.
Old     (CCWakerider)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-23-2014, 8:31 PM Reply   
In my firsthand experience, as I have have experienced both systems, I do believe it is the best. I maybe should have prefaced that IMHO of experiencing both the NSS & Surfgate, that surfgate was better for me.
Old     (Captain_obvious)      Join Date: Jan 2014       04-23-2014, 9:20 PM Reply   
Mbs F22 is really hard to beat for the money and they are getting better,handle very well but when your in rough water or rollers it feels hollow just like a Malibu. If the sticker price doesn't bother you do yourself a favor and demo a gen 2 x30. If surfing is the main watersport choice ilmors 5.7L will do just fine in that hull. The ease of dialing in the surf wave and Fusions new zone controlled stereo have been huge improvements for MCs 14 line.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-24-2014, 6:13 AM Reply   
I think the running surface of the new lsv was slightly tweaked. I was originally told that it had not changed, but I think it was - at least slightly. The wake and wave seemed improved on the one I demoed. I loved the wake and wave behind the '13 lsv I had, but the '14 lsv seemed better. The wave was noticeably taller.