Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-01-2011, 10:28 AM Reply   
So we have tried a few times with the Go Pro on a wakeboard with mixed results. Is there a place people have found to work best for mounting them on a board. I'm not sure if a few inches makes a difference but it seemed a lot of the time the cameras just saw water spray.
Old     (jonori)      Join Date: Oct 2001       04-01-2011, 1:49 PM Reply   
I have not tried mounting to the board. I too have been thinking of the best way to use the GoPro and Contour for filming wakeboarding. I only have had one run since I got my GoPro and I used a Chesty Mount. It did not hinder my riding too much, but it didn't give me any decent footage either.

I have seen a video of someone riding a cable with a board on his back with straps to wear it like a backpack. Then there was a piece of metal that extended a 2 to 3 feet up and to the right. He mounted the camera on the top of the metal piece looking back down at the rider.

I think to get the best shots you would need to get the camera somehow 2-4 feet away from the rider and point it back at them. I don't think that backpack rig could handle a full set behind a boat.

I was thinking if there was a way to mount the camera at the base of the handle rope that would generate a good shot.
Attached Images

Old     (wakerpunk)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-02-2011, 6:23 AM Reply   
I highly reccomend attaching a teather string to something like your bindings incase the mount breaks. The black piece that slides into the mount broke on me at odub after coming off a kicker. Luckly it didnt break open the housing and i had a zip tie holding it to my binding..
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-02-2011, 8:05 AM Reply   
If you get the GoPro Surf edition, it comes with a different mounting system which includes a separate mount and teather. The teather works awesome. I snapped my mount surfing and the teather saved my GoPro. I went back to GoPro and they sent me some free hardware to fix it.
Attached Images

Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       04-02-2011, 9:34 AM Reply   
Maybe tie it around your front or back boot. That might give a pretty cool view.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-02-2011, 7:00 PM Reply   
The plastic mount WILL break. Jus got back from riding and my buddy had his break after only a few minutes of riding. Granted he rides at a pro level and goes huge but none the less the mounts they provide are not suitable for being attached to a wakeboard. The Surf mount may hold up better. Will be testing that out next time. Either way I would not trust anything without a tether
Old     (wakerpunk)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-03-2011, 7:26 AM Reply   
Just be aware that depending on how the mount breaks, it has the potential of cracking the housing therefore killing you're gopro. Think of how much beating its taking on landings... Never had a problem using it on helmet cam during falls or using it on the end of a pole.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-03-2011, 8:56 PM Reply   
A friend of mine cut the plastic mounting rings off the bottom of his so the case was flat and bent a piece of aluminum to attach it to his board because he kept breaking mounts. He just drilled two holes through the bottom of the aluminum to mount it to the fin holes and used adhesive tape to attach the other end to the case.
Old     (ICU81240)      Join Date: Apr 2013       04-10-2013, 5:57 PM Reply   
I haven't tried it yet but how about using the head lamp strap take off the strap that goes on top of your head(the one that keeps the mount from sliding down. It does come off) then put it around your leg. I've seen it done with a snowboard.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       04-10-2013, 7:50 PM Reply   
Used the suction cup to attach to board. Came down heavy on a landing and the housing, NOT the suction cup mount broke. Camera went about 15 feet in the air and that was the end of that... Had the mount tethered to boot using wire.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-10-2013, 7:52 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9lWZlm6v3o
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-10-2013, 7:58 PM Reply   
also.. use the big kahuna leashes.. they attach to the housing AND the mount so your camera hopefully won't fly too far.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-10-2013, 9:24 PM Reply   
Has anyone actually ever seen the housing itself break and let water in???
Old     (jamesruberti)      Join Date: Nov 2012       04-11-2013, 10:16 AM Reply   
Buy the backdoor floaty and you don't need a tether. I have it and it works great
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-11-2013, 11:00 AM Reply   
I don't think you'd get great video from the board itself but if you are set on mounting it there this is the only way I'd try it: http://camrig.com/gopro-fin-mount
Old     (annq42)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-11-2013, 2:27 PM Reply   
Careful about putting mounts on the wakeboard and hoping that the floaty back will float it. It will not... I found this out the hard way, and there is currently a Hero2 at the bottom of the lake.

I am not sure how much the float will float, but it will not float the suction cup. I suggest testing the float with your connections before you go.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-11-2013, 2:49 PM Reply   
I use the GoPro suction Cup to secure mine, then I usually tie it with a shoelace to my bindings. This angle worked out alright. You're right though, it's definitely hit and miss.

(Around 1:15)
Old     (Jibbo)      Join Date: Apr 2013       04-11-2013, 11:23 PM Reply   
Try mounting your Gopro with a Wakeye system
http://www.wakeye.com/pages/wakeboard-towers
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       04-12-2013, 6:03 AM Reply   
^^^I like it! How much is $280NZD in real money?
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-12-2013, 6:08 AM Reply   
That wakeeye thing.. I couldn't find any footage showing how well it works for wakeboarding, only slalom. It does seem to track smoothly, though.
Old     (Jibbo)      Join Date: Apr 2013       04-12-2013, 4:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonshark View Post
^^^I like it! How much is $280NZD in real money?
There is a currency option at the bottom of each web page i think where you can choose USD
Old     (zenxteninc)      Join Date: Oct 2013       08-04-2014, 6:38 PM Reply   
I know everyone is lookking for a good way to get some great footage with their gopro at the lake.. This is what I came up with..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDuG...Cw8jNylfU3wO1Q

I am looking to license it / get industry support to get this out there.. hit me up if your interested..
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-04-2014, 6:51 PM Reply   
Lax stick for the win.
Old     (Krimp)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-04-2014, 7:04 PM Reply   
I really like the mount zenxteninc. I produce wakeboard short fims and this sure would come in handy. You can check out my work at http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqcmX218VCu-SMbH8Y0NPEQ or on Instagram. The account is eagle.eye . I made a camera mount similar to the wakeye and with the two combined filming would be a lot easier.
Old     (awolfinwater)      Join Date: May 2013       08-04-2014, 8:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenxteninc View Post
I know everyone is lookking for a good way to get some great footage with their gopro at the lake.. This is what I came up with..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDuG...Cw8jNylfU3wO1Q

I am looking to license it / get industry support to get this out there.. hit me up if your interested..
Love the mount. Checked out the website and would be interested in the prototype offer. My crew is bunch of weekend warriors that would love this thing.

Great idea. Hope it is successful for you. Let me know next steps.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-04-2014, 8:33 PM Reply   
SIMPLE!!!! You screw it into the built in mount on your new O'Brien wakeboard!
Old     (pipeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-04-2014, 11:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
I don't think you'd get great video from the board itself
kinda feel the same. also yea, be careful with the floaty thing and have some extra line attaching it to you somewhere. a friend of mine also lost one to the bottom of the lake.

i like the ol dude in an inner tube trick.
(a vid my buddy put together)

most of the footage from the vid is from the back of the boat with something other than a gopro but you can tell which ones are from the innertube, and those are the gopro....

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9Hr...VUU/edit?pli=1
Old     (parkerbomar)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-05-2014, 6:43 AM Reply   
That tube technique can end in some bad rope burns.

Love the rope mount I have seen those before.
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-05-2014, 6:53 AM Reply   
The floaty's are great but I have seen them rip off the camera on a bad crash, so do not depend on them entirely. I also lace the camera through the doors iron bar to my binding. It has saved my camera once already!

I like sticking mine to my handle, I use a rollbar mount, it gives some pretty cool angles.
The chesty does not really work for wakeboarding.
If you are at a cable though, if you are allowed, sticking the camera to obstacles with the suction cup gives some pretty cool shots.
Old     (pipeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-05-2014, 8:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbomar View Post
That tube technique can end in some bad rope burns.
I do agree with you there. A buddy of mine pretty new to the sport wanted to give it a shot with a friend he brought... I told him the dangers of it and they decided against it.

That post with the fin mount thing did actually have some cool footage. I might give that a go.

zenxteninc...
i also like the mount, but would like to see it a little more stable. Have any plans to further it any?

Also how does it do with flip tricks and other tricks where slack in the rope comes into play a little (like spins) ?

would like to see some footage of how it handles that. Pretty cool though!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-05-2014, 12:03 PM Reply   
my obrien mana surf has a mounting hole on the front. I'm sure board makers will follow suit.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-05-2014, 12:10 PM Reply   
I am so totally going to try that fin mount shown in the video. Here's a video I made with my helmet mount.

Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-05-2014, 1:38 PM Reply   
cool! good riding there John!
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-05-2014, 2:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesruberti View Post
Buy the backdoor floaty and you don't need a tether. I have it and it works great
I don't recommend a floaty by itself. 1) some mounts weigh enough to sink the camera with a floaty. If the mount breaks off the board and is still attached to the camera, your camera could sink. 2) floaties can rip off in a crash - has happened to me several times. I now run a bead of aqua-seal around the floaty to supplement the sticky pad (be careful it doesn't interfere with the housing seal), plus I add a leash as backup.

Handle mounts that put the camera 4-5 ft in front of the rider give a great point of view, but they are quite difficult to make that don't have huge camera shake.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-05-2014, 3:59 PM Reply   
No where, it bounces around too much
Old     (pipeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-13-2014, 1:47 PM Reply   
i really liked that fin mount setup so i did my own.
here it is...

it's a piece of aluminum with some holes drilled into it. i used some pieces of wood under the aluminum to dampen the bouncing (i think it will anyways) but also to not scratch the board, and to make the machine screws the right length for the fins.

i've got it tethered to my front binding, and also have a floaty on it (it floats the original gopro, which is what i have.)

the base mount plate thing is screwed into the aluminum because i already know those adhesive pads don't do crap really.

here's a pic of the mount on my wifes board so you can see the screws. i set them down into the plastic so the gopro slides right on. (i made two so the gopro is easily swapped out from board to board).

i don't have the original box packaging mount like in that vid that biggator posted above cuz i threw it away.

can't wait to try it out this weekend.
Old     (pipeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-18-2014, 9:04 AM Reply   
would just like to share my results with this...
it kinda worked, but for the most part did not. i found many things others above have found...

so for spray... there was minimal spray on my board, my wifes board had much more spray in the cam. i think it's the fin on mine being centered vs the fin(s) on hers on the outside. my footage was pretty good regarding spray though.

we did get some decent footage, but it didn't last too long. the landings of a few jumps would move the angle of the gopro, even though it was tightened down with tools to get it hella tight. that wasnt too bad though cuz i could reach down and move it back.

it lasted alright on my board until i landed a raley, (which i got a sick shot of...)

but on the landing it snapped the plastic mount on the metal piece, and also bent the metal piece.

that was that for me.

so we put it on my wifes board. figured she doesnt ride as hard so it would do better. even she still got the angling thing, and then the floaty came off for her. she didnt have the strength to angle it back up so that was that for her too.

thinking about trying to add some sort of spring system in there to lessen any impact on the whole rig on the landings.

G
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-18-2014, 9:28 AM Reply   
The raley shot was pretty sick!
Old     (pipeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-22-2014, 11:22 AM Reply   
k so trying this again.

here is what i came up with...

i slammed the board down on the couch as hard as i could a few times. (figured the couch was prolly the closest thing to water that wouldnt break my board haha)

it held just fine. the video definitely bounces a little on the impact but i dont mind and it didnt break or change the angle.

not sure when i'll be out next but ill post my results again when i do. anybody wanna take me out to the delta midweek this upcoming week?
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       08-22-2014, 12:06 PM Reply   
Nice work Greg! that looks legit, cant wait to see the results
Old     (twowake)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-22-2014, 12:34 PM Reply   
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-23-2014, 10:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowake View Post
I've been experimenting with a camera mount very similar to this. If you haven't tested it yet, the problem you'll find with that design is the camera will twist because there is nothing to stabilize the tube from twisting back and forth. It still makes for some cool angles on your shots, but its hard to get much good material because of camera wobble.

A decent solution I'm working on is if you can find one of the old, carbon fiber triangular handles. What this does is allow you to anchor the tube that holds the go pro directly to the handle, which because it is a stiff handle instead of rope, adds torsional stability the rig. The camera will mostly twist only with your handle - still not perfect since your hands and the handle will bounce and move some, but far better than when you use a soft-sided handle.

Those old stiff sided handles are hard to find now, so I'm trying to come up with a new idea that will somehow anchor the tube that slides over the rope directly to the handle to still provide that torsional stability... I just haven't had the time to go play with pvc pipe and see if I can figure something out.
Old     (parkerbomar)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-24-2014, 2:37 PM Reply   
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       08-25-2014, 10:17 AM Reply   
The safety leash will by your friend! I attached my GoPro to the board and came up with this footage awhile back. Mount did end up breaking and the leash saved by cam from being on the bottom of the lake.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=3&theater
Old     (svnfightsvn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-26-2014, 8:59 AM Reply   
the 2014 obrien paradigm has a built-in go-pro mount
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       08-27-2014, 10:12 AM Reply   
^^ You have pics of this mount? I can't find one myself... ^^
Old     (pipeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-27-2014, 11:50 AM Reply   
^^ ditto i also couldnt find it. the only pics i could find of that board did not have a mount
Old     (pipeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-03-2014, 2:38 PM Reply   
twowake and orange...
id be interested in seeing some video of those if you have any!

parkerbomar...
nice! but not for me (i think it would get in the way...)

more results of the springy fin mount...
so the spring helped dampen any change of angle on landing impact. although it did change angles once or twice, it did not do it nearly even close to as much as with my first trial run with the more rigid mount. the first trial would change angles even on a small one wake jump.

the springs caused the video to be much more jittery though during regular riding which was not nearly as bad in the rigid mount. This can be seen much much more in the original video at 60fps.

and it still snapped the same way on landing a krypt (which i did not ride away from, i have a hard time landing in revert). no need for a pic of it snapped cuz it was basically the same as the first time.

im guessing having the spring on the bottom but not the top doesnt help. maybe it needs it on both top and bottom so there is no hard abrupt changes in direction both up and down, like the suspension on your car :P

off to trying it again version 3.0 next

short clips of video of both trials if you care to see...
little bit of riding, wake to wake jumps, flips and the killer of the mounts.

another cool frame pulled from the video again, this time the scarecrow (which again i landed but did not ride away from >< )

ps. trial one was with the original goPro, trial two got upgraded to the hero 3.

G
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-04-2014, 4:36 AM Reply   
putting the lacrosse stick in your vest like a samurai sword actually kinda produces some sick shots.
Old     (twowake)      Join Date: Jun 2010       10-06-2014, 1:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange View Post
I've been experimenting with a camera mount very similar to this. If you haven't tested it yet, the problem you'll find with that design is the camera will twist because there is nothing to stabilize the tube from twisting back and forth. It still makes for some cool angles on your shots, but its hard to get much good material because of camera wobble.

A decent solution I'm working on is if you can find one of the old, carbon fiber triangular handles. What this does is allow you to anchor the tube that holds the go pro directly to the handle, which because it is a stiff handle instead of rope, adds torsional stability the rig. The camera will mostly twist only with your handle - still not perfect since your hands and the handle will bounce and move some, but far better than when you use a soft-sided handle.

Those old stiff sided handles are hard to find now, so I'm trying to come up with a new idea that will somehow anchor the tube that slides over the rope directly to the handle to still provide that torsional stability... I just haven't had the time to go play with pvc pipe and see if I can figure something out.
Actually it doesn't twist. The tube is connected to the handle and turns with the handle. Here is a clip of a friend of mine.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-06-2014, 2:04 PM Reply   
I used a helmet mount to capture this back roll from Bill Tonis
Attached Images

Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       10-06-2014, 6:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowake View Post
Actually it doesn't twist. The tube is connected to the handle and turns with the handle. Here is a clip of a friend of mine.
Actually your video is showing exactly what I meant. Soft sided handles allow the tube used to mount the camera to wobble or twist under impact so the horizon bounces back and forth. If you can mount the tube to one of the old carbon fiber handles, the tube can't twist when you jump and land.

Soft sided handles are about all you can find anymore, so I want to find a method that still has a more direct mount between the grip, which is stiff, and the tube used to mount the camera. I've wondered if I could let the pvc tube extend well beyond the Y in the handle and actually connect to the grip to reduce the twisting motion. It's far from ideal from a wake boarding standpoint as the handle is non-standard, but might be good for some low level tricks not involving handle passes. I'll post photos if I ever have time to work on this and get it figured out.
Old     (zenxteninc)      Join Date: Oct 2013       07-07-2015, 10:55 AM Reply   
When this goes to a mold the video should be even more stable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mapJ8lb-r8w
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-07-2015, 2:01 PM Reply   
I'll take 2 please
Old     (feral)      Join Date: Oct 2011       07-07-2015, 6:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyA View Post
I'll take 2 please
I have been testing the prototype - get on them, they are great.
Old     (RS172)      Join Date: Jul 2015       07-15-2015, 4:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by feral View Post
I have been testing the prototype - get on them, they are great.

How can i get one?
Old     (zenxteninc)      Join Date: Oct 2013       10-06-2016, 6:19 PM Reply   
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       10-07-2016, 5:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenxteninc View Post
Love that angle. Nice clip.
Old     (gqjeff)      Join Date: Sep 2014       10-07-2016, 8:58 AM Reply   
We've been mounting on the rope. We take burst of 30 and then go through them and grab the good pics. I lost a 4 Black with the surfboard mount this summer.

Old     (mikeab8)      Join Date: Jan 2013       10-07-2016, 11:55 AM Reply   
I ride with it on my board a lot. You get some really different angles but I agree with the tether. I made mine out of some thin climbing rope from REI and attached it to the back loop on my boot. I've broken 3 mounts but the tether saved it every time. You just have to mount it far enough back if its on the tip of the board so if the wake washes it won't knock/break it off.
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       10-07-2016, 1:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqjeff View Post
We've been mounting on the rope. We take burst of 30 and then go through them and grab the good pics. I lost a 4 Black with the surfboard mount this summer.
How are you mounting it on the rope and making it stay upright?