Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-19-2014, 6:41 AM Reply   
Did I miss why this became a thing? To each is own, and maybe I'm getting old, but I don't get it. I assume this started with riders wanting to rep their sponsors, but now every kid at the park is doing it. Help me to understand!
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-19-2014, 6:51 AM Reply   
just a style thing for the most part to switch up the look and make it look more skater-like. if anyone asks me I usually use the ole sunburn excuse.
Old     (chrislandy)      Join Date: Mar 2014       09-19-2014, 7:40 AM Reply   
I used to have to do this in comps 18 years ago but it was mandatory to advertise the event sponsors. Prolly just style now
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-19-2014, 7:57 AM Reply   
I wear a long sleeve surf style shirt but under the vest to keep the sun off. In fact I wear it most of the time even when just hanging out in the water. Perhaps I have no style but performance wise the shirt needs to be tight to the skin.

I wear limited amounts of sunblock and long sleeve shirt and I find its much more comfortable in the Florida sun and a wet surf shirt keeps much cooler while riding around in the boat. When it dries I take a dip and get it wet and instant A/C. If I lived in snow country I probably not wear the shirt as much as enjoy the sun before its gone for 6 months.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-19-2014, 9:53 AM Reply   
it hides the comp vests at cable parks.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-19-2014, 10:08 AM Reply   
^^^^^ yup.
Old     (mcdye)      Join Date: Apr 2009       09-19-2014, 11:12 AM Reply   
they are hiding something.... the vest that is not CGA approved.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-19-2014, 12:03 PM Reply   
Sun protection. Don't need to hide your vest at Odub. Although I've switched to rash guard type shirts under the vest because the vests started giving me a rash on my back. Plus you get the sun protection as well.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-19-2014, 12:18 PM Reply   
I hear the vest hiding, but all the CGA guys do it as well.

And sun protection seems like like a strange excuse. Why weren't all these same people wearing shirts at the lake 3-5 years ago for sun protection?
Old     (tnbrooks01)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-19-2014, 12:37 PM Reply   
It started at parks for hiding comp vest. Then to fit in, everyone started doing it.

Kinda like board shorts over a wetsuit if you ask me.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-19-2014, 4:42 PM Reply   
It's not an excuse, it's a reason. Younger guys might not do it for the sun protection thing. But I grew up on the gulf and have a lot of sun damage, so I pay attention now.

I imagine it's a style thing for a lot of people. But who want's to admit that to someone who thinks dressing for style (or that particular style) is stupid. I totally put my boardshorts over my shorty. Looks better.
Attached Images

Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       09-19-2014, 6:20 PM Reply   
Coming from a skate/snowboard background I just like how it looks and feels. I feel naked in just a vest. To his, his own though.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-19-2014, 6:49 PM Reply   
I do it to hide my muffin top!!
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-19-2014, 7:18 PM Reply   
Diggin the Cire's John, I wore that pair today when I rode cable....
So I would say you do have style : )
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       09-19-2014, 8:41 PM Reply   
I slipped off the side of a rail once and rail-rashed the entire underside of my arm, armpit and high ribs... I've worn a shirt pretty much ever since. I won't deny that it's a style thing as well, and it's easier to put a sponsor on a t-shirt that a life jacket for those guys as well.
Old     (hyperliquidliteforce)      Join Date: Aug 2013       09-19-2014, 8:43 PM Reply   
I do it to make people who ask these questions, have a reason to ask questions?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-21-2014, 9:00 AM Reply   
Thanks Dustin, I practically live in Cire's. You'd be hard pressed to catch me when I don't have a pair on.
Old     (pipeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-21-2014, 2:21 PM Reply   
i like to ride wearing my green snowboard pants sometimes.

is that weird?
Old     (J_Swelly)      Join Date: Aug 2014       09-21-2014, 6:58 PM Reply   
I cut my shoulder up real bad on a rail once and it got infected from the water, so ever since then I've worn a shirt to protect my shoulders from getting cut up if I fall and to cover my comp vest.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-21-2014, 7:01 PM Reply   
While my shorty keeps me warm, I just think I look weird in it… so the shirt comes out haha
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-21-2014, 11:16 PM Reply   
Can anyone explain the t-shirt over a full suit phenomenon (but no boardshorts because THAT would be uncool)?
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-22-2014, 6:26 AM Reply   
I only do it for photos for sponsors, thats it. That's the only purpose. I am always super confused when I see a video of a guy in a hoodie, or jorts or something like that. Especially wakeskaters rocking Jorts, it cant be comfortable at all.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       09-22-2014, 9:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeworld View Post
I do it to hide my muffin top!!
Single greatest response ever!!! I'm stealing that one Dave!!
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-22-2014, 10:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_nintzel View Post
I only do it for photos for sponsors, thats it. That's the only purpose. I am always super confused when I see a video of a guy in a hoodie, or jorts or something like that. Especially wakeskaters rocking Jorts, it cant be comfortable at all.
I like wakeboarding in Jorts!
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       09-22-2014, 11:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane View Post
Can anyone explain the t-shirt over a full suit phenomenon (but no boardshorts because THAT would be uncool)?
Guilty. I truly don't have an answer for you. It just happens.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-22-2014, 1:55 PM Reply   
I wear regular board shorts usually, but a lot of wakeskaters where normal shorts or cutoffs while winching for protection. Falling at winch spots will shred apart thin board shorts quickly. I have definitely torn myself and my board shorts up while winching in board shorts.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       09-22-2014, 2:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
thanks dustin, i practically live in cire's. You'd be hard pressed to catch me when i don't have a pair on.
AMEN
Old     (revolutionwake)      Join Date: Sep 2014       09-22-2014, 3:59 PM Reply   
I think there are several reasons, depending on the type of wakeboarding. Sponsors, sun protection, style, etc...Although, I think mainly it's for looks. It's like any other fad. Look at snowboarding. People wear the goofiest **** for no reason. Like those tilly hats. No idea why that's a thing.
Old     (pipeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-22-2014, 6:07 PM Reply   
maybe i'm wrong, but i felt like wearing the goofiest ***** snowboarding started from those that were really good did it to stand out. they could get away with it because they were good. what other snowboarder was going to bash them on what they wore when they just hucked a rodeo 5 or something? then the wanna-bes started wearing goofy **** to look better. then it just kinda fell out from there.

I used to get that sorta thing all the time about 10 years ago, but in reverse. i would wear two pairs of jeans, no gloves, and a button up wind breaker because i had no money to buy decent gear since i made nothing and what i had i spent on the season pass and boards i was going though.

I used to get made fun of sometimes at the top of a jump because of what i wore. i'd just look back, smile, ride down and throw misty, rodeo or backflip and then later at the lift i'd get apologies on occasion.

i did know a local crew that was hella good and they were wearing goofy ***** long before anybody else was at the mtn.

not sayin that's how it is here with wakeboarding. just an observation, which again, could totally be wrong.
Old     (spencercoon)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-23-2014, 11:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane View Post
People do this?
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-30-2014, 3:50 PM Reply   
I wear my WakeWorld jersey over my vest, when I'm feeling super awesome!
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-01-2014, 8:31 AM Reply   
I think the people who wear shirts over a vest are like the same people who are afraid to go swimming without a shirt on in the first place. I mean it's different if you are wearing a rashguard or something UNDER the vest, that way it protects you from the sun, gives you a little more warmth, etc. I can see a t-shirt doing the same kind of thing if you didn't have something water specific available, but under the vest, not over.
It just looks silly.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-01-2014, 8:53 AM Reply   
Why are people afraid to go swimming without a shirt on? Just curious because I'm wondering how they are like wakeboarders who wear a shirt.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-01-2014, 9:04 AM Reply   
Insecure about their manboobs I guess
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       10-01-2014, 9:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_nintzel View Post
I only do it for photos for sponsors, thats it. That's the only purpose.
This is really the only good answer. Anyone who is not sponsored but is wearing a t-shirt over their vest is just copying an image of sponsored riders. There is no functional reason. Any kind of protection - rash guard, sun, abrasions from rails, etc. - would be better done with something underneath the vest like a heater top or sun shirt.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       10-01-2014, 9:57 AM Reply   
I started wearing shirts in kiteboarding for abrasion protection (we dont wear vests). I just got used to it.

Then when I started riding cable, I didnt have a CGA vest that fit so I was wearing a comp vest under a shirt. Then after a year or so I got busted and had to dig up an old CGA vest to wear. Its an oldschool oneill from back when they were way short. I wear a shirt over it until they check, then swap back to my comp vest.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-01-2014, 10:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathom View Post
Insecure about their manboobs I guess
So wakeboarders are afraid of manboobs poking out of their vests?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-01-2014, 10:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange View Post
There is no functional reason.
I can guarantee you that a t shirt over the vest is functional as sun protection. Rather than rationalize why people do it, you could just ask them. Then you can tell them all the other ways that are better because well... you're the expert.

I see people wearing button up shirts wakeboarding. Sometimes they just like the way it looks. I wear a rashguard under my vest now instead of a shirt over, because my vest has been causing a rash on my back. But I like the way a t-shirt looks over the vest better than a rashguard under it.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-01-2014, 10:19 AM Reply   
I'm ok admitting that it's aesthetic more than functional. So what? It looks cooler. There.
Old     (Wakeska89)      Join Date: Jan 2011       10-01-2014, 10:45 AM Reply   
I wear a shirt over my vest just because I think it looks cool. When I think I look cool, I feel cool, and when I feel cool, I ride better. It's a psychological thing for me
Old     (aljazp)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-01-2014, 10:45 AM Reply   
+1
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-01-2014, 11:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
So wakeboarders are afraid of manboobs poking out of their vests?
Not any I ride with. We're proud of our manboobs
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-01-2014, 11:24 AM Reply   
Wow, so many hot sports opinions on this topic! I don't really care...just think it's a funny fad. For me, I think it's uncomfortable and who the heck wants more laundry to do?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-01-2014, 11:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubanks01 View Post
....who the heck wants more laundry to do?
Wakeboarding is how I do my laundry.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       10-01-2014, 11:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Wow, so many hot sports opinions on this topic! I don't really care...just think it's a funny fad. For me, I think it's uncomfortable and who the heck wants more laundry to do?
Says the guys who has never had a kite drag him through the sticks, LOL!
Old     (kevSML)      Join Date: Jun 2014       10-01-2014, 4:28 PM Reply   
2nd odd stmt recently:
The "one leg wetsuit pant" look. I REALLY don't understand this. Does one leg just get colder than the other?
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       10-02-2014, 10:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
wakeboarding is how i do my laundry.
hahaha!
Old     (Goonz)      Join Date: Sep 2012       10-02-2014, 1:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevSML View Post
2nd odd stmt recently:
The "one leg wetsuit pant" look. I REALLY don't understand this. Does one leg just get colder than the other?
It's not a wetsuit, it's a compression sleeve.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_garment
Old     (kevSML)      Join Date: Jun 2014       10-02-2014, 5:01 PM Reply   
The wiki... Always useful. I'm glad that's covered..
Old     (kevSML)      Join Date: Jun 2014       10-02-2014, 5:04 PM Reply   
I just hope that doesn't catch on. Then we will all be as bad as those nba players