Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       12-06-2013, 8:35 AM Reply   
I am sure others have been doing this for ages. But this worked out awesome when changing the filter on the boat. Always seems some oil spills out of the filter (even when using rags under the filter) or I end up touching the boat with my oily hands when trying to get out of the boat with the oily filter in my hands.

This worked great, cracked the filter loose, held the bag underneath and spinned it the rest of the way off. No oil in the bilge, minimal oil on my hands, and I was able to put the new filter right back on instead of having to get the old one out of the boat right away.
Attached Images

Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-06-2013, 8:45 AM Reply   
So simple. That's a good idea. I'll have to do that myself next time.
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       12-06-2013, 2:37 PM Reply   
Great Idea! I will do that as well next time!
Old     (JCat)      Join Date: Nov 2013       12-06-2013, 2:38 PM Reply   
Simple solution to a chronic problem. I need to remember this one.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       12-06-2013, 4:19 PM Reply   
I've been doing this for years and it save a big mess.. I still lay a few towels down on the carpet area.. There's a bit of chance you can get a drip or two on the rug..
Old     (PotatoShack)      Join Date: Aug 2013       12-06-2013, 4:39 PM Reply   
I have always used a plastic groc bag.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-06-2013, 5:53 PM Reply   
sweet
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-06-2013, 8:42 PM Reply   
Yep. I use a garbage bag below.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       12-07-2013, 12:41 AM Reply   
I use a plastic flower pot proper size that match over the filter and storage this one after cleaning on the top on engine always.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       12-07-2013, 11:26 AM Reply   
Good work, I use the plastic bags we get from the store.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       12-07-2013, 11:44 AM Reply   
I have done this also for a couple years. What I do not understand for the life of me is why they tighten the filter down so tight. I literally almost broke the bracket off my buddies boat because of this. Maybe it's a contest witht the people at the factory.

Geez!!!!!!!
Old     (sprocketeer)      Join Date: Nov 2012       12-07-2013, 1:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by downfortheride View Post
Good work, I use the plastic bags we get from the store.
I tried the a plastic bag from a store once... It had a hole in it.
I only use zip-lock bags now!
Old     (Kwclark)      Join Date: Oct 2013       12-07-2013, 4:16 PM Reply   
Thanks for the tip. I used to shove alluminum foil under my filter to catch the runnoff. I will do both now.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       12-08-2013, 10:50 AM Reply   
Being a very "neat" mechanic in a past profession. I appreciate anything that keeps me and the machine I am working on cleaner.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       12-09-2013, 1:04 AM Reply   
So very simple. I'm surprised I hadn't thought of or heard of this before for oil changes. I will definitely be using this trick from now on.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       12-09-2013, 1:04 AM Reply   
So very simple. I'm surprised I hadn't thought of or heard of this before for oil changes. I will definitely be using this trick from now on.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-09-2013, 6:45 PM Reply   
Yeah I use a drawstring kitchen garbage bag. It too works well.
Old     (onthecreek)      Join Date: Apr 2013       12-10-2013, 8:41 AM Reply   
plastic bag definitely helps but spinning the filter when oil is running down it is a b!tch. would be nice if the filter manufacturers made the outside finish of the canisters rough rather than so smooth.

once the oil starts overflowing you can't move the bag or oil gets all over the bilge. so i've been spinning the filter by grabbing it with the bag. that of course it also very slippery. maybe there's a better way?
Old     (nelson)      Join Date: Jan 2009       12-10-2013, 9:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecreek View Post
plastic bag definitely helps but spinning the filter when oil is running down it is a b!tch. would be nice if the filter manufacturers made the outside finish of the canisters rough rather than so smooth.

once the oil starts overflowing you can't move the bag or oil gets all over the bilge. so i've been spinning the filter by grabbing it with the bag. that of course it also very slippery. maybe there's a better way?
I was shown the bag trick 20 years ago been using it ever since. If you take a small punch and puncture a small drain hole in the bottom (if you have room) or lower side of the oil filter you can drain the filter into the bag then remove the filter without oil running down the filter. Down side is you have to wait for the filter to drain for a min. before you spin it off.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-10-2013, 9:31 AM Reply   
^ I like this idea!
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       12-10-2013, 9:46 AM Reply   
I usually have a pair of those thin gloves with the rubberized coating on when I am working on stuff. so the slipperiness is not as issue.

Also, with the filter in the bag while unscrewing, I can unscrew the filter quickly and just let it drop into the bag. Without the bag I would turn it off slowly (while oil is dripping all over) so I didn't accidentally drop it once it release from the threads.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       12-10-2013, 9:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson View Post
I was shown the bag trick 20 years ago been using it ever since. If you take a small punch and puncture a small drain hole in the bottom (if you have room) or lower side of the oil filter you can drain the filter into the bag then remove the filter without oil running down the filter. Down side is you have to wait for the filter to drain for a min. before you spin it off.
I like it. I have punched a hole in a filter before, but its usually for a different reason
Old     (Kwclark)      Join Date: Oct 2013       01-01-2014, 4:57 PM Reply   
I did the bag trick last week and it worked beautiful. Barely a dropped spuilt.
Old     (dhcomp1)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-05-2014, 8:22 PM Reply   
Try a 1 qt plastic paint container.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Argee-Ver...512/100404513#

It is rigid, you can grip the filter though it, and it doesn't leak.

You will never use a plastic bag again.

Break loose with filter wrench, then throw container on there and spin loose.

Even reuseable, if you feel like cleaning it.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       01-05-2014, 9:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
I tried the a plastic bag from a store once... It had a hole in it.
I only use zip-lock bags now!
You have to inspect the bag before action, LOL
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-06-2014, 12:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhcomp1 View Post
Try a 1 qt plastic paint container.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Argee-Ver...512/100404513#

It is rigid, you can grip the filter though it, and it doesn't leak.

You will never use a plastic bag again.

Break loose with filter wrench, then throw container on there and spin loose.

Even reuseable, if you feel like cleaning it.
Yep. This flower pot works even better, as for me.