Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (tmb80)      Join Date: May 2010       06-23-2011, 2:30 PM Reply   
I need help. I have already sent an email to the Indiana DNR and am in the process of contacting all of the local marinas that sell wakeboarding boats. What else can I do? This makes me sick to my stomach. Are there any other states like this?

Ind. watersports to be restricted 7/1
Updated: Thursday, 23 Jun 2011, 2:58 PM EDT
Published : Thursday, 23 Jun 2011, 2:24 PM EDT

Myra McCain
INDIANAPOLIS (WANE) - The Indiana Department of Natural Resources announced Thursday that starting July 1, a new law will go into effect that will restrict wake boarding/surfing and teak surfing behind certain motorboats.

Teak surfing, or holding onto the swim platform while the boat is underway at any speed including running idle, will become illegal behind all motorboats powered by an inboard, inboard/outboard or outboard engine.

The same law will apply with wake boarding/surfing.

According to DNR Commander, Lt. Gary Whitaker, the new law was proposed after the state saw an increased number of carbon monoxide poisoning cases from teak surfing and propeller injuries from wake surfing.

Whitaker said this new law applies to activities that take place directly behind the boat in the wake where the wake is the means of propulsion to the individual.

Whitaker said if a person is skiing or tubing and is not directly behind the boat and the rope is the means of propulsion, then the law does not apply.

Whitaker also said wake surfing has increased the amount of damage to other vessels due to the fact that the boats are producing huge wakes. Those wakes then crash into boats and piers and end up causing secondary damage.

Violation of the new law could include up to $500 in fines and court costs, which estimate to be around $130