Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-08-2010, 7:52 PM Reply   
Sorry if this is redundant, i could not find it anywhere.

Any one surf at night with under water LEDs that light up the wake? We have surfed it at night, but with above the water lights (flashlights mostly)

just wondering, would love pics!!
Old     (deepcove)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-08-2010, 8:05 PM Reply   
A good set of tower lights work best!
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-09-2010, 9:28 AM Reply   
Necklace glowsticks.

Would like to have underwater LEDs this year but it's low on the mods list.

Pics would be cool
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-09-2010, 9:48 AM Reply   
i have seen pics of boats running and some videos, but none of a person actually surfing on a lit wave...

any out there?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-09-2010, 9:49 AM Reply   
It's a criminal code offence in Canada for the boat driver. Like drunk driving or armed robbery.
I don't think there is any problem for the rider though, so if you could convince your mother-in-law... Naw, probably not worth it.
Old    mobster            01-09-2010, 1:11 PM Reply   
DJ James Z has a sick set up If he see's this thread maybe he can give you the details I've seen some of his shot's he has it dialed in
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-09-2010, 3:53 PM Reply   
i would like to offer led lights with an optic sensor with solar panel as an option on boards but dont think it would sell. So how many states allow night wakesurfing or watersports???
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-09-2010, 4:44 PM Reply   
Illegal in Ohio
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-09-2010, 9:09 PM Reply   
I think its probably illegal in every state to be riding after dark. I know its illegal in TX. Doesn't really stop anyone, but its very much frowned upon
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-09-2010, 10:00 PM Reply   
is it legal in California in the delta?
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-10-2010, 7:03 AM Reply   
Any watersports after dark in Cali is illegal per law and as i was told by the watercops
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-10-2010, 7:32 AM Reply   
illegal in oregon to but we do it anyway i just installed three bullet led's on the transome. to cold to see how good they work
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-10-2010, 7:51 AM Reply   
illegal in AZ and UT, but it happens because it is AWESOME...
Old     (atlmobiuslsv)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-10-2010, 3:25 PM Reply   
we do it all the time
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-10-2010, 4:03 PM Reply   
going to call you on that Chris , you must be on lanier, my bro lived in sugarhill down from the new school.
Chris check your PM

(Message edited by brewkettle on January 10, 2010)
Old     (atlmobiuslsv)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-11-2010, 4:41 PM Reply   
Yes on Lanier on the south end. call me on what? i dont have any pm's......
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-11-2010, 8:01 PM Reply   
USCG law for inland waterways is 5 mph after sunset. So I guess if you can surf at that speed, it might be legal?
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-12-2010, 7:51 AM Reply   
think your off on the law our river has barge traffic at night and they travel way faster than 5mph law is any thing inland and up stream of a 5mph zone is a 5mph zone.law states you can not have riders in tow after dusk but only illegal if you get caught
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-12-2010, 5:08 PM Reply   
No, if it’s illegal its illegal, regardless of whether or not you get caught.
Old     (deepcove)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-12-2010, 6:02 PM Reply   
hhmmmmm
Old     (gotwakex45)      Join Date: Jun 2008       01-28-2010, 8:08 AM Reply   
Upload
Old     (gotwakex45)      Join Date: Jun 2008       01-28-2010, 8:10 AM Reply   
Pretty sure your not suppose to cruz over 10 Mph at night?!?!? Not sure tho, but these lights above are dope, need about 10 more to light up an X-80 wake.
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-28-2010, 8:29 AM Reply   
looks great! anyone ridden wave that was lit like that?
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-28-2010, 11:36 AM Reply   
A good GPS system makes it much more manageable.
Old     (lakemillssurfer)      Join Date: May 2008       01-29-2010, 11:50 AM Reply   
I'll get you some good video soon.
We just got the 2010 Super Air Nautique with tower lights and underwater led lights.
Can't wait to surf it at night.
We have surfed at night quite often with glow sticks on our boards, wrists and ankles, but not yet with the underwater led lights.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-29-2010, 11:56 AM Reply   
I have KC daylighters pointed forward and LED for lights pointed back. Works like a champ. We surf at light a lot. Only thing is the bugs can be nasty!
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-29-2010, 1:07 PM Reply   
Cant wait to see pictutres!

we had thought of using glow sticks, but never did.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-29-2010, 1:28 PM Reply   
My KCs really light up the night and it's very easy to see surfers. We don't use glow sticks.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-29-2010, 2:59 PM Reply   
The law pertaining to pleasure craft does not apply to commercial vessels on harbors/rivers due mostly to the fact that pilots are required for navigation at night (day in some areas as well).

Got busted for tower lights on the last boat twice (Pedro & Hogan) so didn't bother to put 'em on the new one. And as any watersport is illegal after dusk here the transom lights are useless as well. Look at all the money i've saved!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-29-2010, 3:07 PM Reply   
I have Led's that light up the wave and the wash on the other side. We definietly use led sticks on the rider and the board to see them at night. We've tried to capture it on film but it doesnt turn out.
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-29-2010, 6:06 PM Reply   
I have some sick pictures of wakesurfing at night I will post some tomorrow .
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-29-2010, 6:54 PM Reply   
Against the law here in NC and SC, but we did it any way, just had to at least once

For underwater LEDs, check out the Shadow-Caster LEDs http://www.shadow-caster.com/ Or for a little easier on the budget, look at the Sea Blaze series from Lumitec http://lumiteclighting.com/products.html
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-30-2010, 9:14 PM Reply   
Upload this was in the summer with the light set up,11 a night.the leds I have five of the under the swim deck you can ride the wake no problem.
Old     (deepcove)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-31-2010, 7:59 AM Reply   
Nice pic!

I am going to look into the under water LED's for sure!
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-31-2010, 10:54 AM Reply   
You just have to run more batteries in the boat and ,depending on how you weigh your boat you need to have the lights shine with the angle of your wake.
Old     (LIFEFORM_LED)      Join Date: Oct 2013       10-14-2014, 9:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by newwhit View Post
Sorry if this is redundant, i could not find it anywhere.

Any one surf at night with under water LEDs that light up the wake? We have surfed it at night, but with above the water lights (flashlights mostly)

just wondering, would love pics!!
Hands down the best most affordable options are from Lifeform LED. Check out their site for gallery pics

and go to the facebook page for tons of customer pics https://www.facebook.com/LifeformLED
Old     (piper907)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-14-2014, 11:29 AM Reply   
Under water LED lights definately light up the wake for surfing at night... I only have two but I would like a couple more for sure... I would also recommend a couple LED flood lights on the tower and you will be good to go! Make sure you have some angle adjustment on the tower floods like mentioned above.
Attached Images

Old     (Jbort)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-14-2014, 12:04 PM Reply   
I have gone twice on buddy's boat w underwater LEDs and badly hooked. Super great rides and the wave looks very different w light shining thru-way cool. It was so dark pics not workable to capture wave glow.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-14-2014, 1:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20king View Post
think your off on the law our river has barge traffic at night and they travel way faster than 5mph law is any thing inland and up stream of a 5mph zone is a 5mph zone.law states you can not have riders in tow after dusk but only illegal if you get caught
Yeah, there's no way there's a 5mph speed limit at night. I've blasted past a sheriff on the Willamette at 20 to 25mph at midnight after the 4th of July fireworks. No worries!

Also, you're right that OR law says that you have to stop at sunset. WA law however says that you can ski/wakeboard/etc until a hour AFTER sunset! Yeah!!!!

I haven't had a chance to LED up my new boat, but this is what I had on my Supra:

six homemade underwater LED's. each light has 30 of the SMD 5050 chips.

Video where you can see the lights under the platform as well as my Ronix LED vest.. Also, when nightsurfing, the LED vest is awesome. when the rider goes down, they DISAPPEAR and it's pretty stressful for the driver to find them otherwise.
http://youtu.be/PpVsYygFdrc?list=UUu...uss8sv6B8xganQ

My last run. The gopro does a great job of adjusting to the low light. Rest assured it's dark out.
http://youtu.be/gjcJ3Ja4N14?list=UUu...uss8sv6B8xganQ
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-14-2014, 2:22 PM Reply   
ive always wanted to do it but never have
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-14-2014, 2:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICAH_HARPER View Post
ive always wanted to do it but never have
Well, over the winter, I hope to do lots of LED work on my boat. So next season come visit the PNW and we'll go out!
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-14-2014, 3:02 PM Reply   
The best part of that night surf session me and Trayson did was that when the sun was setting, we were in the Oregon side. The sheriff was there and we figured we'd just go until they said otherwise. They hung around for about 10 minutes or so enjoying the set and then took off. It was pretty dark then too. Continued for about another hour and surfed all the way back to Washington and half way to the dock. It got kind of sketchy though when we were like oh, those lights are coming towards us. Oh crap, that's a barge, maybe if we can't see a huge barge we should stop.
Old     (Jbort)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-15-2014, 10:34 AM Reply   
What's the info on the LED jacket? looks way cool
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-15-2014, 10:53 AM Reply   
http://www.ronixwake.com/default_men...-/ONELEDImpact

Comes in blue and green. I think they had a red one at one time as well. They come in Comp vest and in USCG. The blue one he is wearing is a USCG one.

http://www.evo.com/outlet/wakeboard-...=EB-64179-1003
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-15-2014, 4:14 PM Reply   
Be careful using blue lights. My brother almost got a ticket for having blue lights on his party barge. The law enforcement officer told him that only law enforcement officers are allowed to have blue lights. He let us go with a warning.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-15-2014, 4:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker1234 View Post
Be careful using blue lights. My brother almost got a ticket for having blue lights on his party barge. The law enforcement officer told him that only law enforcement officers are allowed to have blue lights. He let us go with a warning.
Wow.. that's a new one on me. I know you can't have blue lights on a car.. but underwater LEDs?
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-15-2014, 4:20 PM Reply   
We looked into the blue lights already before doing the install on the Supra.
Basically if it's solid, you're fine. It's when they are flashing when they are considered to be imitating a law enforcement officer.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-15-2014, 8:03 PM Reply   
Technically the underwater LED lights are illegal while the boat is underway but I've yet to know anyone being stopped for them but night watersports behind the boat I've know people to get tickets.
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-15-2014, 8:14 PM Reply   
My brother's lights were LED strands on a party barge. They were not below the water line lights and we were in no way trying to imitate flashing lights. Every lake is different so that is why I am suggesting to be cautious.
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       10-16-2014, 8:53 AM Reply   
Heres an idea of what it looks like behind a pair of Rigid Industries Dually Marine lights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GObTUkWj6sk#t=14
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-16-2014, 9:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker1234 View Post
My brother's lights were LED strands on a party barge. They were not below the water line lights and we were in no way trying to imitate flashing lights. Every lake is different so that is why I am suggesting to be cautious.
Yep, every LEO is going to be different. I've ran mine right in front of sherrif and coast guard and been fine.

However, when I do them in the Moomba, I'm looking to go RGBW so I have any color of light I want.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-16-2014, 9:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathom View Post
http://www.ronixwake.com/default_men...-/ONELEDImpact

Comes in blue and green. I think they had a red one at one time as well. They come in Comp vest and in USCG. The blue one he is wearing is a USCG one.

http://www.evo.com/outlet/wakeboard-...=EB-64179-1003
No, the blue one I have is a comp vest.
Old     (wakesetter672010)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-19-2014, 6:58 AM Reply   
Shasta lake, We use glow stick around our necks and Lifeform LED light work awesome!!
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-19-2014, 8:17 AM Reply   
I always have a pack of glowstick bracelet deals in my boat bag just for this reason.
Old     (clay_denk)      Join Date: May 2007       10-22-2014, 9:45 PM Reply   
Full moon surfing!
Attached Images

Old     (LIFEFORM_LED)      Join Date: Oct 2013       11-24-2014, 11:05 AM Reply   
For those that really want to light up their wake. We just started our Black Friday sale.
30% OFF all LED's when you use the promo code "BLACKFRIDAY30"

http://lifeformled.com/products/

We love you guys, this community is awesome.
Old     (dDubya)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-08-2014, 2:43 PM Reply   
We do as much night surfing as possible. Its an amazing feeling to be out there behind the boat at night. The only thing you see is the boat and the wave. Epic.
Old     (dDubya)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-08-2015, 8:12 AM Reply   
Here's a bunch of night surfing pics from this past season. We LOVE surfing at night...especially at http://www.thewatersportsfarm.com/ where there is no law against it.

Old     (dDubya)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-08-2015, 8:19 AM Reply   
...and here is a video Creatingrockstars put together of Night Surfing centered event http://www.westriders.org put together at The Watersports Farm in August...

Last edited by dDubya; 01-08-2015 at 8:21 AM. Reason: link
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       01-08-2015, 9:16 AM Reply   
Rub it in Dan why don't you ....Gonna have to come and harass you and Lysle this winter!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       01-29-2015, 10:39 AM Reply   
As mentioned above the Lifeform LED's are awesome! Crazy bright, well built, and outstanding customer service. I have recently partnered with them as a rider I'm able to offer a discount to others via their website www.lifeformled.com. Use code DFTR2015 before you check out and save some cash for night surfing! Nothing better then boating at night lit up having a great time.
Old     (dDubya)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-06-2015, 8:35 AM Reply   
I put lifeforms on my Malibu lsv and loved them. Super bright in AND out of the water.
Old     (robmc9)      Join Date: Mar 2015       03-12-2015, 12:18 AM Reply   
We do a lot of midnight surfing,usually stay out til 2 or 3 am, its when the men go out and actually get a few hours to our selves but we've all decided the less lights the better. I have underwater LED's and thats about all we have on (own a 2014Tige RZ2 and they came from the manufacturer) we may be a bit different a) we're on a small private lake with no other boats b) We've tried every set up as my tower has lights but c) they attrack way too many bugs d) extra light is not really needed. Our only ask is if you fall you hold up the board so our running lights reflect of the board and we can see the fallen rider a bit better but thats very rare as there is usually 4 or 6 of us on the boat to help spot the rider and the board if it shots off.
Any one else like almost no lights or is it just us?
Old     (dDubya)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-12-2015, 7:03 AM Reply   
We usually run only underwater lights and rear tower lights at night. We don't run the forward facing lights and I have to cover the touch screen too or it decreases my night vision.
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-12-2015, 1:12 PM Reply   
Dan, that video rocks! Looks as though your crew is havng a good time.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-12-2015, 3:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmc9 View Post
We do a lot of midnight surfing,usually stay out til 2 or 3 am, its when the men go out and actually get a few hours to our selves but we've all decided the less lights the better. I have underwater LED's and thats about all we have on (own a 2014Tige RZ2 and they came from the manufacturer) we may be a bit different a) we're on a small private lake with no other boats b) We've tried every set up as my tower has lights but c) they attrack way too many bugs d) extra light is not really needed. Our only ask is if you fall you hold up the board so our running lights reflect of the board and we can see the fallen rider a bit better but thats very rare as there is usually 4 or 6 of us on the boat to help spot the rider and the board if it shots off.
Any one else like almost no lights or is it just us?
I get what you're saying about the bugs, they seem to just be attracted to them, especially certain colors like blue. I mean bug lights are blue and are made to attract them, kind of makes sense. It doesn't help that my buddy is obsessed with blue leds everywhere, we are like a giant bug beacon at night I'm not complaining, because we still get night surfing in, normally right after dusk. One thing we do though is put some lights on the rider. We always stock glow sticks/bracelets/necklaces to go on the rider/vest. He even has a blue LED vest as shown above.

I'm not a fan of the big lights shining everywhere, if you're behind the boat, you're blinded. Any forward facing ones don't do that good of a job anyway. It can get kind of scary though, considering we're in the Columbia, a major shipping channel. A few times we have had a little shock, of "Oh, S*** that's a barge right in front of us!, better call it a night" So sometimes I wish we had an effective front lighting system at least. I know it's not really legal, but then again, is any of it
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-06-2015, 1:17 PM Reply   
So my team rider in France said that night surfing is legal as long as the boat has proper lights.
This concept is not new but will be offered on the Lakewakes Hooligan wakesurf board, naked versions for 659.00 base price
Attached Images