Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-17-2014, 1:42 PM Reply   
I'm so excited for him. He's 8 and learned to ride a 50cc w/o training wheels at 4y/o. He moved up to a yamaha TTR110 trail bike last year. Unfortunately, it's really hard to get him out to ride regularly. but if he enjoys racing (I know he will), I guess i'll start shopping for a 65 or 85 proper MX bike for him to move to. I think Honda is the only one who makes a 4stroke MX bike smaller than 250, huh? I think he's still a little small for the CRF150R though. It'd be nice to see other mfr's put better suspensions on their smaller 4 strokes.
Here he was at 4 on his 50 (1st pic) .And here he is at 8 on the 110 (2nd pic).
Attached Images

Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       10-17-2014, 2:21 PM Reply   
Nice!! My buddy has a 4yo and he started his first race circuit this summer. It's a blast to watch them roll around the track! Hahahah
He just picked up a KTM 50 for him that he should be on this spring. Can't wait to watch him rip it with his gopro on
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-20-2014, 11:32 AM Reply   
He had such an awesome time! He took 2nd in his division (0-65cc A-Class). It was a field of about 11 bikes in his race (mix of A, B, and C riders). He was so stoked! The kid that dominated his race was on a tricked out KX65. Sounded like a chainsaw on steroids. So, as I guessed, now he wants a new bike ha ha. Admittedly, he is bottoming out the suspension on that trail bike on a few jumps.
Attached Images

Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-20-2014, 1:08 PM Reply   
Nice! Next step would be a good KTM 65sx. Stay away from the KX's if you are racing moto the suspension is archaic- My younger one at 9 on his KTM-
Attached Images

Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-20-2014, 1:20 PM Reply   
DAAAUUUM! @ that 1st pic!! that's straight up Evel Knievel!

He's on a 65 in both of those?
Old     (allzway)      Join Date: Feb 2014       10-20-2014, 1:27 PM Reply   
Very cool.. I raced MX all of my teenage years and a couple before.

Great memories...but now lots of aches and pains in my 40's as a result.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-20-2014, 1:35 PM Reply   
Excellent! Congrats to him! Love the pics.

As always, great pics of the kid, Tractor.
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-21-2014, 10:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by snyder View Post
DAAAUUUM! @ that 1st pic!! that's straight up Evel Knievel!

He's on a 65 in both of those?
Thanks! Yep, on his 65 in both. The best thing you can do for your kid is get him riding with other kids that are faster. Caiden has his big brother to chase around-
Attached Images

Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-21-2014, 10:54 AM Reply   
BTW, keep that 110! My boys have a ton of fun ripping around at banging bars on pitbikes. Moto is all about fun, not speed...............
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-22-2014, 7:23 AM Reply   
My 7 year old has been racing since he was 5 and is plenty fast. I have been through the learning curve having purchased a Honda 50 and then moving to a KTM50 a year later. The 4 strokes are nice from a maintenance standpoint but they are trail bikes that will not compete against the 2 strokes in those smaller sized packages. They are way to heavy and do not have the suspension.

You really have 2 choices for MX or any type of racing - the KTM 65 or Kawasaki 65. He can race the 65 typically until 11 years old. The 85 or a CRF 150 is a lot of bike for an 8-9 year old beginner and even with starting blocks he will not reach the ground. If he keeps at it you will find yourself upgrading bikes as he progresses. The 65 is more than enough bike to give you plenty of scares as parents.

Don't make a mistake here or you will be buying twice. I would keep the 110 as a pit-play bike. You don't want to run the race bike if the kids are goofing off or the maintenance will kill you.

My sons racing has been a great family experience and my son even got me to start racing with the old and slow guys. Find your way over to KTM Talk and start reading up and have fun.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-22-2014, 7:46 AM Reply   
"You don't want to run the race bike if the kids are goofing off or the maintenance will kill you. "

That's a great point! We have 34 acres of land and he likes to just rip around out there too. And I wouldn't want him unnecessarily wearing out rings/piston on a race bike just playing around.

My problem is we already have 4 bikes... and I want a SxS too lol. One side of my garage is full of bikes and tools, the other side has 2 portable 1/4 pipes that I built him (as a father's day present ha ha.). My wife has been on my case to build a barn on our property just so she can park in the garage again.

...1st world probs I suppose.

I did go check out the 65 SX yesterday. I think now's as good a time as any. He's pushing the limits of that trail bike and like others have said, he'll get about 4 years out of it before needing/wanting an 85. I might have to opt for a used one though. They're pretty proud of them new.
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-22-2014, 11:41 AM Reply   
Used is a great way to go. Try and find one where the kids was a mid-pack racer and is moving up. Look carefully on how it has been maintained and who has done the work. If you keep up on them the KTM's are great bikes. The 2011 is a great year as it was before they ruined the front forks. We have ran KTM's, Cobras & the KX's and the KTM is hands down the best bike made...............Like Tim said, goofing off & muddy days are exactly what we keep the 110's around for. We have a track in the "backyard" (that's where all the pic's above are from) and the 110's can take a beating with very little maintenance...................I have torn the KTMs down to pieces so feel free to ask away if you have questions..............

Last edited by tracktor; 10-22-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-22-2014, 11:43 AM Reply   
Also, the bullriding vest style chest protector is a must IMO. They have saved both my boys many times from serious injury........www.2ndmoto.biz are the ones we use.........
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-24-2014, 8:35 AM Reply   
I see your got your kid all geared up which is important. My son is using the Fox Raptor. Its a fully wrap around vest they started making about a year ago. I think is supplies similar protection to the bull riding style vest but it may be a little cooler. (heat wise not cool to look at)

Tracktor, are you using any knee braces or knee protection?
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-24-2014, 12:01 PM Reply   
Gotta agree with the sx65. One thing these guys are lacking as far as info is the $$$ you'll end up spending. A second bike will be a must so double your purchase price. You're going burn through top ends about every ten hours so plan on getting real familiar with tearing the bike apart and replacing them. You'll start out with the back of a pickup for transport but you'll end up with thousands of dollars invested in a fully tooled trailer or toy hauler. About the time you have the 65s dialed in your kid will have outgrown them. Next up will be doing the whole conversion to the 85s. One nice thing about them is the fact you can convert them to expert bikes without breaking the bank. I could go on and on and on but I'll stop here.

Best part... You'll absolutely lover every minute of the time you spend with him in this sport! You will form a bond and amazing memories for life.
Attached Images

Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-24-2014, 5:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by srock View Post
I see your got your kid all geared up which is important. My son is using the Fox Raptor. Its a fully wrap around vest they started making about a year ago. I think is supplies similar protection to the bull riding style vest but it may be a little cooler. (heat wise not cool to look at)

Tracktor, are you using any knee braces or knee protection?
Not as of yet. I am torn between using them and now for kids. My older boy tried some Asterisks and like them so probably at some point when he settles down from growing. I have wasted knees so I think protecting them is worth it just have to decide when. I have PODS right now and they work pretty good.. We also run mouth guards for concussion protection & concentration..............
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-29-2014, 9:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle View Post
Gotta agree with the sx65. One thing these guys are lacking as far as info is the $$$ you'll end up spending. A second bike will be a must so double your purchase price. You're going burn through top ends about every ten hours so plan on getting real familiar with tearing the bike apart and replacing them. You'll start out with the back of a pickup for transport but you'll end up with thousands of dollars invested in a fully tooled trailer or toy hauler. About the time you have the 65s dialed in your kid will have outgrown them. Next up will be doing the whole conversion to the 85s. One nice thing about them is the fact you can convert them to expert bikes without breaking the bank. I could go on and on and on but I'll stop here.

Best part... You'll absolutely lover every minute of the time you spend with him in this sport! You will form a bond and amazing memories for life.
Every bit of this is so true. I throw my receipts into a box and never add them up. Picking up the new trailer this week. Sold the backup bike last week.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-30-2014, 1:50 PM Reply   
Spoke to a guy on CL who's selling his son's '12 65 SX.... because he also has a '13 practice bike and TWO 2014's for racing.

Another lady has two KX 65's for sale... one for race and one for practice.... because their son has switched to KTM... lol. Looking at the results in our district 21 AMA series and almost all the bikes are KTM in the 65cc classes.

At first i was like WHAAAT. But when you compare the cost of 2-4 bikes to a new wakeboard boat... it's a cheap hobby by comparison. Actually you could just about hire an entire pit crew, multiple bikes and a pretty decked out trailer for the cost of some of these boats these days!

I already have a camper, not a toy hauler though and I'm good to go w/tools and a truck.

I've got a lead on a 2011 65 SX that looks like a pretty good deal. but he'll have to start out w/just one bike for now unless you count the trail bike as a "spare". He'll need to spend some quality seat time w/it for a while anyway...learning to use the clutch and learning to love the power band. Maybe by spring time he'll be ready to get into a series.