Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (86skier)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-06-2015, 4:37 PM Reply   
So if I turn my Perko switch off and my Auto-Bilge Switch on. Will this keep my boat from sinking with out draining the battery.

All of the other threads that I've found say that the Auto- Bilge runs every 3 minutes for a "Scan" and then shuts off.

I have read that the Auto bilge should be hard wired with a breaker to the battery by-passing the switch all together. Not sure how it is exactly wired since I had it professionally installed a couple of years ago (the switch and dual batteries). But I understand the Auto- Bilge even though it has a float needs a power source to operate(A battery)

My auto-bilge doesn't automatically kick on as I have found out over filling the ballast. (my overflows are not connected and they drain into the boat. I suspect the original owner had additional ballast plumbed and never re-hooked up the overflows.)

I did stay up a bit on the houseboat wondering exactly how this works. (The Auto-Bilge)

Any help thanks!
Attached Images

Last edited by 86skier; 08-06-2015 at 4:38 PM. Reason: wrong meaning of words
Old     (Giddyup)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-06-2015, 7:54 PM Reply   
on my boat the bilge with the float switch, is wired direct to the battery, so even when the perks switch is in the off there is still power to the bilge, that way there is no other drain on the battery but the bilge if the shaft is leaking for it rains, it should come on and pump it out, as long as the float switch is working
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       08-06-2015, 8:16 PM Reply   
Your bilge pump probably goes to dash switch and then to a distribution block of sme sort and then to the house or cranking battery. The easiest way to tell is just to test it. Try the pump on manual and switch the Perko to each position and note if/when the pump stops working.
Old     (SangerTom)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-07-2015, 1:39 AM Reply   
Had the same set up on my Sanger. The auto bilge has a float in it - kinda like a toilet - and when the float rises it kicks the auto bilge on. If it runs continuously when the boat is "parked" the least of your worries is running the battery down as something is leaking.

We were in Laughlin a few years ago when a huge monsoon rolled through. Went up at midnight to the marina to check on the boat after it had rolled through and the battery was fine and the bilge was pumping.

Mine was wired to the #1 position (probably a mistake) but it worked fine.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-07-2015, 7:32 AM Reply   
There is no one answer.... Different builders use different pumps and different wiring configurations. Some auto pumps use a "sniffer" circuit, the pump turns itself on every few seconds and check to see if it senses a load from pumping water, in which case it stays on until the load goes away. These pumps will eventually draw down the battery after many weeks of the "check" cycle, even if they never have to pump out any water. Some pumps use a mechanical float that activates the pump when water lifts the float. The main problem with these pumps is debris can stick the float and cause it to run dry and either burn up the pump or drain the battery. Other pumps use a set of contacts that activate the pump when the water level rises across both terminals. If the boat only has one pump and it is equipped with a auto float, the float switch should be wired directly to a battery so it is not dependent on the battery switch being on for it to function. The switched side of the pump is typically wired thru the battery switch so that it can't be accidentally left on, the pumps switch becomes disabled when the battery switch is turned off. Again, you'll need to research your particular setup, we've seen so many different combinations between different builders and different years there is no way to say there is any type of industry standard.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-07-2015, 6:50 PM Reply   
"All of the other threads that I've found say that the Auto- Bilge runs every 3 minutes for a "Scan" and then shuts off. "

So why don't you just try turning the battery switch to off and see if the bilge pumps cycle or lift the float or whatever you have?

As people said mfgrs do things different.
Old     (86skier)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-10-2015, 5:07 PM Reply   
Thanks for the help guys! I'm going to run all on/off positions in "Auto Bilge mode" and in manual to find out how it exactly works.
Old     (BurnMac42)      Join Date: May 2015       08-11-2015, 7:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SangerTom View Post
We were in Laughlin a few years ago
The butthole of America....Lord I hated that place..