Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wake_dad_sc)      Join Date: Aug 2009       07-20-2011, 9:53 AM Reply   
The IOC has wakeboarding (cable I believe) as one of the sports they are considering for 2020 Olympics. While this is not an official pole it never hurts to show support. If you want to take this viral please do so Here is the link: http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/poll/
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-20-2011, 2:25 PM Reply   
I got the same e-mail today David.

C'mon everyone.....let's help get wakeboarding in the 2020 Olympics!
Old     (d4m0)      Join Date: Apr 2009       07-20-2011, 3:23 PM Reply   
got my vote
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-20-2011, 3:53 PM Reply   
who was the email from?
Old     (wakecumberlandky)      Join Date: Feb 2011       07-21-2011, 8:16 AM Reply   
In the email it says Cable... can anyone clarify? Either way still pretty cool for the sport!
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-21-2011, 10:48 AM Reply   
It should be cable. much more likely to get in that way. No (less) mechanical factor, plus it's more universally accessible, and Asia will be building more to keep up with Europe, especially if this gets in.

I hope this is WWA affiliated, and not IWWF/USAWB, especially given that it is cable. They have the world circuit, that the top riders attend, and have had that established for years.
Old     (alevitt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-21-2011, 2:10 PM Reply   
^^^^^
It's IWWF affiliated, not WWA. Not sure how, but they're the sanctioning body when it come to the Olympics.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-21-2011, 7:09 PM Reply   
not to be a debbie downer but i thought it had to be an olympic rule that the sport had to be completely man controlled or self propelled and the cable would go against that rule
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-21-2011, 7:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by alevitt View Post
^^^^^
It's IWWF affiliated, not WWA. Not sure how, but they're the sanctioning body when it come to the Olympics.
Well then the wakeboarding world should notify the Olympic committee that IWWF is not the accurate representation of the sport. In fact they have less than half of the years of backing the sport than WWA...... or, instead of pro's writing whining editorials about style and losing to people who add extra 180's, maybe they should stand up for something that actually benefits and represents the sport.
Old     (alevitt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-22-2011, 8:27 AM Reply   
^^^^^
It's just the way Olympics work. You think that all of the snowboarders who want to compete in the Olympics are happy that they have to go through the International Ski Federation instead of a true snowboard sanctioning body like the old ISF or the current TTR? Or how about skateboarding being in the Olympics? I have it on pretty good authority that the International Rollerskating Federation (who even knew something like that existed!) would be the sanctioning body if skateboarding ever made it in. Rollerskaters having authority over skateboarders, now that's a good one.
Old     (ToPHeR35)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-22-2011, 8:50 AM Reply   
It will be part of the 2014 games in Brazil as a trial sport....
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-22-2011, 10:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by alevitt View Post
^^^^^
It's just the way Olympics work. You think that all of the snowboarders who want to compete in the Olympics are happy that they have to go through the International Ski Federation instead of a true snowboard sanctioning body like the old ISF or the current TTR? Or how about skateboarding being in the Olympics? I have it on pretty good authority that the International Rollerskating Federation (who even knew something like that existed!) would be the sanctioning body if skateboarding ever made it in. Rollerskaters having authority over skateboarders, now that's a good one.
Did TTR not become the International fed for slopestyle? I thought that was the case. I'll look.
Old     (alevitt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-22-2011, 1:24 PM Reply   
^^^
TTR and the FIS have "technically" partnered up to create a taks force, but it sounds like FIS still has most of the power in the relationship.
This is quite a good summary: http://snowboarding.transworld.net/1...sk-force-snow/
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-23-2011, 12:13 AM Reply   
What is benefit to be olympic sport? More fun? More names? More tricks? More officials? More rules? More lakes or rivers? Less prices for gas, boats, gear or cable even?
Fencing is olimpic sport but has less spectators and funs compare with wakeboarding.
We can get the same result.
Olympic committee is commercial but not sport organization last 20 - 25 years.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-23-2011, 4:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToPHeR35 View Post
It will be part of the 2014 games in Brazil as a trial sport....
Dude you know that was an april fools day spoof.....