Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (RonBurgundy)      Join Date: Jun 2012       04-22-2016, 8:21 AM Reply   
Getting close to pulling the trigger on a z5 or some better racks for carrying wakesurfs on my A22. I've found a couple companies that make a rack with larger openings and longer fingers...but I'm still concerned about an epoxy board shaking around on a rack like that...anyone done this/not have an issue?

The other idea would be a Z5...but I have to think that those things being opened all of the time has got to become a wasteland for dead bugs, bird crap, etc. I tow about 30 minutes when I go to the lake and that alone leaves me cleaning the tower arms, etc each way as I'll grab a good number of dead guys up there.

I do a good volume of cleaning to keep my boat looking great, but want to make sure I'm not going to be removing the canvas constantly to wash it, or regretting it due to attempts to keep it clean.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-22-2016, 8:35 AM Reply   
We use board racks and have never had one problem. We keep our boards in bags and just put them in the racks while still in the bag. Just make sure the bungee is not to tight .
Old     (RonBurgundy)      Join Date: Jun 2012       04-22-2016, 1:20 PM Reply   
what rack do you use? I've got a happy pill from liquid force that some like to ride and its like 2.5" thick.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-22-2016, 2:36 PM Reply   
Samson swivel racks. We have a soulcraft 5'4'' soul slider long board we carry and it fits no problem.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       04-22-2016, 3:46 PM Reply   
I keep my nice boards on a Monster Cargo Bimini. It costs WAY less than the Z5 and has basically the same functionality. I rigged up another set of bungees on teh crossbars so I can hold boards on them without the bimini cover being on. we like our sunshine. I wouldn't trust my nice epoxy boards in a board rack. or another way of saying it is that I wouldn't use the board racks on my nice boards because I have the other option of the cargo bimini. THe exception would be if I had the super nice, super expensive PTM Edge Board racks that are options on the new supras and MC's. those are flat out amazing. But cost, WAY too much for me to justify.
Old     (RonBurgundy)      Join Date: Jun 2012       04-22-2016, 5:54 PM Reply   
Trayson what type of tower do you have? Ill be reaching out to monster to see if it would be compatible with my Axis. Funny you bring up those racks...saw them today at the dealer and they priced at $1500 each!!! hahahah
Old     (volzalum)      Join Date: May 2009       04-22-2016, 9:33 PM Reply   
Have you thought about the corson piper surf racks? They are really nice and then you still have the wakeboard racks.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       04-24-2016, 10:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBurgundy View Post
Trayson what type of tower do you have? Ill be reaching out to monster to see if it would be compatible with my Axis. Funny you bring up those racks...saw them today at the dealer and they priced at $1500 each!!! hahahah
I have a 2008 moomba xlv with the rad-a-cage tower.

And 1500 is crazy. They sell for $650 all day long online.
Old     (RonBurgundy)      Join Date: Jun 2012       04-25-2016, 7:37 AM Reply   
Where are you seeing the ptmedge racks for $650? I'd love to know.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       04-25-2016, 7:47 AM Reply   
Sorry, I thought you meant the monster cargo Bimini.

Yeah those ptm racks are crazy expensive
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       04-25-2016, 8:09 AM Reply   
Trayson.....how far/speed do you tow with the cargo bimini on? I was thinking about getting one but was a little skeptical about towing with it. I know they advertise you can but can you real world?

Last edited by soonerbilly; 04-25-2016 at 8:10 AM. Reason: spelling
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       04-25-2016, 8:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerbilly View Post
Trayson.....how far/speed do you tow with the cargo bimini on? I was thinking about getting one but was a little skeptical about towing with it. I know they advertise you can but can you real world?
Okay, so I did a couple things. 1) as I mentioned above, I added bungees to the padded crossbars so I can put boards up without having the bimini cover on. I really like this mod because it lets us have tons of shade and I don't worry at ALL about towing with just the frame on. With the cover off, I've towed 3+ hours with no worries.

Note: I've since changed the bungee so that it has spots for two boards. having the 3 spots was too narrow and not as practical. To attach the bungees to the padded crossbar I used a couple of zip ties padded with some black rubber hose. It's a little ghetto, but it's damn effective and you don't notice the black on black.

2) I changed the rope that runs around the cover so it detaches on either side of the bimini between the crossbars. By doing this, it makes it so I don't have to unstring the whole thing to remove the cover. All I had to do was cut the rope and put a knot on one side, and a loop on the other side. when the knot/loop are connected together with tension, the rope secures the bimini to the frame just as before. but it makes it so the cover comes off and on a lot quicker.

So to answer your question, I've towed around 10 to 15 mins on the freeway at 60 with the cover on. But 99% of the time, I am rolling with the cover off and have no worries at 70+ for any period of time.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       04-25-2016, 10:07 AM Reply   
I might have to hit you up for some more pics.......down here in the deep south the summers can be brutal. 100+ and all sun makes for a long day. Been wanting a bimini for a few years but haven't pulled the trigger yet. ( always made people that were hot get in the dang water...lol ) But it would be nice to be able to just escape it a bit. We don't sit still that often so it hasn't been as big of a deal but now my kids are getting older and not as inclined to come with us we might be doing more chilling while listening to music floating this year so maybe the bimini might make more sense this year.
Old     (stingreye)      Join Date: Oct 2012       04-25-2016, 11:03 AM Reply   
I just upgrade to the monster cargo bimini on my boat. A friend of mine had one and I really liked how easy it was to remove the fabric and put it on. I leave the frame up 24/7 and tow with it. He does too, no issues with that at all. He added some quick release key chain things to his cord on the bimini fabric to make it really easy to remove the fabric. I added them too. It takes much less time to put up the fabric than my old factory bimini and you can do it by yourself. Old bimini was a challenge by yourself. The last positive was that it was actually bigger than the factory 2004 Tige bimini, so more shade.

I also have the Corson surf racks that I really like.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       04-25-2016, 11:28 AM Reply   
S.R....Gpt any pics of that. I also have 2 of the corson racks, they have been great. Just thinking I might want the shade this year.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       04-25-2016, 2:17 PM Reply   
+1 on seeing pics of a setup with both the corson racks and a cargo bimini. that's some serious board storage. Although honestly, I have had plenty of times where we have way more boards than space. and when I can only put my nice epoxy custom boards on the Monster, it means that we're having to juggle with 2 real storage spots for the thicker boards. I currently have two custom boards and my buddy also has one. If we got suckered into bringing the kneeboard for the kids, it gets tricky.
Old     (stingreye)      Join Date: Oct 2012       04-26-2016, 8:20 AM Reply   
 photo boat pic_zpshxnsfzba.jpg

This is the only picture I have (Trayson, I actually stole it from facebook from one of your fellow Moomba XLV friends that took the pic )

I have 4 boards in Corson's racks here. Nothing in the bimini in this pic.
Old     (RonBurgundy)      Join Date: Jun 2012       04-28-2016, 9:34 PM Reply   
I really like the rack...but considering how the Bimini opens on the tower and with speakers I cannot figure out how I could spot them on my axis
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       05-04-2016, 6:44 PM Reply   
Z5 for the win. Absolutely the best bimini and storage space that I have purchased. Also, their customer service is amazing. I had a problem with my z5 and contacted the factory directly. I spoke with the engineer that designed it for the new Axis tower (sent pics of problem, etc..). He personally oversaw the construction of a completely new bimini for me then worked with my dealer to exchange the bad fitting one. I'm a huge fan of z5!
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       05-05-2016, 11:06 AM Reply   
I've had the Z5 on my boat for nearly 6 years. It is still in perfect condition and I only clean it 2x per year. That said it does get a little buggy with a lot of spider webs after while (then time to clean it). It is a little extra maintenance but it is 100% worth it. Since we would use a bimini all the time, we don't have to worry about setting it up and taking it down. The Z5 is always ready to go. We only tow with it 2x per year so I can't really answer that. I keep the boat on a lift all summer. The two trips per year are only 45 min away and we've had no issues at highway speeds. The storage is super convenient. We wakeboard, ski, and surf so I normally have the wakeboards in the racks, two slalom skis in the center of the Z5, and two surf boards on each side of the Z5. We've even thrown a tube to float in on top of the boards and skis without issue. I will never have another boat without a Z5 - I like it that much. My wife and kids love it too.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       05-06-2016, 12:25 PM Reply   
I agree with the utility of a Cargo Bimini. I love my Monster Cargo Bimini. I've never had a Z5, and while I am sure they're nice, I don't know if I could justify paying over 3x the price for a Z5 over a Monster. It seems from a functionality perspective they're pretty close to accomplishing the same. Is the Z5 really nice enough to justify triple the price?