Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-01-2016, 3:36 PM Reply   
Old head unit had 4 pre outs and I have a 4 channel amp and 4 speakers. It was good.
New head unit has only 2 pre outs labeled rear and I still have a 4 channel amp and 4 speakers.. hmm.
So do I just use a couple splitters and fade the unit all the way to the rear? The amp has no regular inputs, only RCA.
Thank you,
John
Old     (RAMZAK)      Join Date: Aug 2014       04-01-2016, 4:04 PM Reply   
The splitters will work. But most 4-channels have the ability to accept 2 inputs and run 4 channels off of it. I'm equally plug into channel 1&2 on the amplifier.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-01-2016, 4:13 PM Reply   
Depends on the amp, not all require occupying all 4 inputs for 4 chnl stereo operation.

Wont have to fade the unit to rear. "Center" is the same level as all the way to rear.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-01-2016, 4:15 PM Reply   
It's a pp900 4 El cheapo but works. I'll dig out the manual and check that option. Thanks
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-01-2016, 4:25 PM Reply   
Thanks for the tip. The amp has a 2 or 4 switch.
Yea
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-02-2016, 1:27 PM Reply   
Swell, 3 of four speakers are toast. Not even 2 years old. one pair of 6x9 infinity marine, dead. I can put my VOM on the leads at the speaker backs and watch the voltage peak in time with the one speaker playing but el-zilcho out of the speaker. Funny, They are reading weird resistances, like 2-3.5 ohms and not steady. One of two 8" Fosgates.. dead. Knew I should have ponied up for the JLs. now I'm stuck with the holes that only this crap will fit. I had the amp "professionally" tuned too. whatever that means. Think I'm gonna go out back and burn $100 bills for fun. I dont play bay base heavy bumpity bump at crazy volume and its not corroded so why is all this stuff blowed up? I think my my pro may have burned a bit too much at lunch cause it never really sounded right to me. I have no other "professional" options within 50 miles either. Guys I am gonna buy new gear and as much as I hate it, Im going to pester the crap out of this brain trust with (stupid) questions and do it myself. "pro" is gonna get a phone call Monday AM.
We'll chat soon,
John
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       04-02-2016, 3:51 PM Reply   
Go easy on the blame. Good tuning can reduce the potential for speaker damage but can never completely eliminate the possibility for blowing speakers.
It's almost impossible to blow speakers without first hearing audible clues. Although those clues can be more difficult to hear when on plane. And there are countless other issues that can contribute to speaker failure.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-02-2016, 4:56 PM Reply   
I know, not gonna be that guy..thanks for the head check. Its too easy to start tossing rocks these days.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       04-02-2016, 5:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by baitkiller View Post
I know, not gonna be that guy..thanks for the head check. Its too easy to start tossing rocks these days.
But bring along the rocks just in case.

Proper tuning is part of the process. In addition to having a basic understanding of that process it is important that the person doing the tuning gives you a quick education on usage. The two go hand in hand. Sometimes at speed, after a long day, and loud volume levels adding to trauma, it is hard to perceive when damage is being done. Sometimes you have to trust the visual readout more than your ears. Little differences in EQ settings or different sources at a hotter gain can override the best tuning.