Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (turbojedi)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-26-2014, 9:31 AM Reply   
So go out ridding yesterday and my boat is struggling to get on plane,it was set up the way I always have and no more people that normal . Also just ate a ton of fuel. Now I have had this problem in the past, took it to the shop like 10-12 times, they went throw everything and could not figure out the problem. That was end of the season, so first day of the next spring we go out let the boat warm up and I hit the throttle and BAM the flex plate snaps. So i do believe that is the issue that I am having again. Why would the flex plate be going bad a 2nd time and what are the causes of the flex plate problems in the first place. Anyone else have this issue ? Thanks guys
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-26-2014, 10:26 AM Reply   
I am not sure this is your issue and could be a ton of things, but here are a couple things to check out....
-The front ballast bag tends to fill with a lot of air. When you fill the ballast you think it is filling and it looks like it is filling, but if you open the plug on top and burp it you might find you are running a totally empty bag full of air. This happens from towing and air going into the exit tube I believe..... Not stating this is your problem, but if you had a bunch of people in the rear of your boat and your ballast was full, this would possibly do that. Regardless, get in the habit of burping front bag on every outing.
-Try doing it with your cruise control off or on and see if you are having the same issue. I tend to remember sometimes the cruise control would limit the throttle on occasion and would have to turn it off and on to get full response. Again, not sure this is your issue, but easy things for troubleshooting.

If the boat is running like normal, but just dogging to get on plane, I would really think about that front ballast... Most people never figure that out. The ballast looks full so people just roll....
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-26-2014, 11:06 AM Reply   
My flex plate cracked because of too much stress.. I was running 3k of ballast with the wrong pitch prop.. This put undo stress on the flex plate.. (damper plate) what pitch prop are you running?.. I run a 14 pitch now with 4k of ballast and no probs..
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-26-2014, 11:32 AM Reply   
Charlie Zulu - That was kind of my feeling as well and why I was thinking that he was actually running all rear ballast and trying to hard to get on plane and hence the stress... Just a thought...
Old     (turbojedi)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-26-2014, 12:40 PM Reply   
Diggs, I know of the air that can get trapped in the front sack, that is not the issue, I burp it and it never leaves the water. Boat is weighted same as every time that I ride and I always have people sit next to the driver , I am what they call a wake snob so I very picky and check my bags often..

ZULU. I have the wake prop on there and have sense day one of buying the boat. Like i was saying this happened before . ZULU did you replace your flex plate yourself ?

thanks guys
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-26-2014, 1:21 PM Reply   
Brain
Cool. Just thought I would throw it out there... Good luck figuring it out.
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-26-2014, 1:34 PM Reply   
The only other thing I could think of is an O2 sensor. I have had 3 replaced on my 08 even after the program update. That should affect power all the time not just loaded.
Old     (turbojedi)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-26-2014, 1:47 PM Reply   
Mark, I know when I was going down this road last time they eliminated the sensors( supra recall) on the exhaust manifold, also wouldn't the computer tell me that a sensor is out ?
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-26-2014, 1:57 PM Reply   
The last sensor I had go out after the update no, it did not say anything. The ones before that yes the computer said needs service and went into limp mode.
Old     (turbojedi)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-26-2014, 3:41 PM Reply   
So on the one that did say anything how did you discover it went out, and which one was it and where did you get it.. Also did your boat seen to be under powered due to this problem and use tons of fuel?
Old     (dcooper)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-26-2014, 5:36 PM Reply   
I had problems with my 2009 last year and replaced the fuel filter and all was good. That could explain bogging down but not using tons of fuel.
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-26-2014, 5:53 PM Reply   
The one o2 that did not display anything about service went in to limp mode so we loaded the boat back up and took it back to the dealer. Did not notice the gas I rarely pay attention to gas. I just keep the boat full.
I have on occasion had some strange issues with perfect pass that sounds similar. When that happens I turn it off run the boat up to speed without perfect pass on and then try reengaging perfect pass.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-26-2014, 6:29 PM Reply   
Yes Brian.. I replaced it myself... You have to split the engine from the trans.. Not a bad job... just pull the trans/ Vdrive out as one unit and it's right there... Get a heavy duty damper plate for it..
Old     (turbojedi)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-27-2014, 8:58 AM Reply   
Where did you find the flex plate?. I'm going to change my fuel filter and toss some fuel cleaner in the boat see if I get lucky,it's been two seasons sense I changed my fuel filter..