Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Andrew14)      Join Date: Apr 2011       10-11-2012, 7:25 AM Reply   
Hi guys - trying to decide which boot to go with for boat riding only (board will be a 145cm Marek) and not sure which one I should choose. I've read a few of the HL Systems threads on here and it looks like people are pretty impressed by the Process boot and the Marek is kind of just Status Quo (along with the Web, Murray, AJ, etc.). I have pretty weak ankles from years of wakeboarding and also would like a boot that helps with softlandings as I'm getting older and would like to give my knees a break.

Any input would be helpful - thanks in advance.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-11-2012, 7:33 AM Reply   
The Process boot is pretty awesome and also very supportive. The Marek however is a lot stiffer side to side. The reason I liked the Process was that it was supportive but still had great mobility (taller wrap but still moveable). If you want max support the Marek is still the way to go.
Old     (Andrew14)      Join Date: Apr 2011       10-11-2012, 7:55 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info Small Light - would you happen to know which boot would land softer? Does one boot have a better footbed than the other? Sounds like for max support, Marek is the ticket - but don't want to sell myself short on the landings. Thanks!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-11-2012, 8:04 AM Reply   
Per their website, they have slightly different heel features. I think the Gel Inserts are the little pockets under the heel. Perhaps you could feel the difference. All top end boots these days are made to land soft, both of these fall in that category.

Marek - TPR Impact Gel Inserts, Custom Ultron Insoles
Process - EVA Heel Impact Inserts, Custom Ultron Insoles
Old     (Andrew14)      Join Date: Apr 2011       10-11-2012, 8:31 AM Reply   
Stephan - thanks for the research. I think I'm gonna go with the Marek boot to protect my weak ankles.....I'm not good enough to start poking/tweaking stuff right now, so support should probably be my number one priority.

Excited to try out this new HL gear - I've heard great things about the System set-up.
Old     (MattAlz33)      Join Date: Jun 2011       10-11-2012, 6:15 PM Reply   
The Marek has great ankle support. I've torn my ankle up three or four times playing other sports and my doc suggested surgery, which I declined because it would take me out for the season. I have the Marek's and I've never felt one ounce of pain or discomfort in the two years since my last ankle injury.
Old     (mtownrydr)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-11-2012, 11:14 PM Reply   
I got a kickass deal on 2012 marek boots and 12 system bindings and I haven't ridden them yet but I can say I am really impressed with the fit and finish of the marek boots and the bindings. They are super light and seem very supportive. Haven't seen the process boot in person but i'm sure both are great. Really looking forward to riding these systems though.
Old     (Andrew14)      Join Date: Apr 2011       10-12-2012, 9:03 AM Reply   
Thanks guys - I ended up picking up the 2013 Marek boots yesterday...tried them on last night. They feel very stable (which is what my ankles need) and I love the BOA system.....excited about trying these out tomorrow on the lake!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-12-2012, 9:45 AM Reply   
Good job man! Way to pull the trigger. Let us know how it goes. Which Systems bindings did you get?
Old     (Andrew14)      Join Date: Apr 2011       10-12-2012, 11:50 AM Reply   
Thanks Stephen - yeah, I had been thinking about the 2013 Marek combo for a few months now and realized I wasn't going to grow out of it - so dropped the coin yesterday. I ordered the Black System Pros, but the boat dealer I ordered them from bricked and sent me the regular Systems. They are letting me keep the regular Systems to ride with this weekend and said they will have the Pros for me next week. Super excited around riding tomorrow - I rode a 2012 Marek Bio 140cm at the Boarding School back in April and really liked it (although a little on the small side for me). So I went with the 2013 Marek Nova 145cm - hope it rides as good as it looks!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-15-2012, 4:55 PM Reply   
Dang that is going to be one good looking setup. Congrats on figuring out what you want and making it happen.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       10-16-2012, 3:28 PM Reply   
I ended up with the AJ boots, system pros, and the Marek Nova 145cm. I have the Aj's and the board and bindings are supposed to be here by te end of the week. Can't wait to ride it. Glad we live in Texas!!!!
Old     (Andrew14)      Join Date: Apr 2011       10-17-2012, 2:18 PM Reply   
Thanks Small Light! I'm still waiting on my local MC Dealer to get my System Pros in (they gave me some regular Systems as a loaner), but I rode the 2013 145cm Marek Nova and Marek boots this past weekend....wow! Thing has a ton of pop and tracks really nicely (maybe a tad tight, but I could get use to it...also smaller P-Wing fins would help some). I couldn't get it working Toeside though (my TS form is still terrible....have a tough time leaning down the line and keeping weight on my front foot). Hope to get back out there again this weekend and get it dialed in though. Board also lands really nicely in the flats.

Rance - nice!!!! The AJ boots are gonna look great on the Nova.....love that blue suede look.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       10-26-2012, 8:19 PM Reply   
Can't wait to ride it.
Attached Images

Old     (Andrew14)      Join Date: Apr 2011       10-27-2012, 8:07 PM Reply   
Rance - Wow!! That set-up looks incredible - you're gonna love how it rides. Nice MB too - those things throw great wakes.

Pic of my Marek Nova set-up below - still waiting on my System Pro's...hoping they will be here soon. Going riding in 12 hours.....can hardly wait....feel like a little kid at Christmas.....only sport I've ever done that I can never get enough of!
Attached Images

Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       10-28-2012, 6:49 AM Reply   
Andrew- I am with ya. I'm 34 and just started 2yrs ago and I want to be on the water all the time. I love that Watson and the way they ride I just didn't get the pop out of the hybrids like I hoped for, plus I think their a little short for me.

I see you went with the 145 also, I am 6'4" 210. Are you a bigger guy and is that why you chose 145.

Enjoy!!!
Old     (Anaru)      Join Date: Jan 2012       11-01-2012, 2:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatTexasBoy View Post
I ended up with the AJ boots, system pros, and the Marek Nova 145cm. I have the Aj's and the board and bindings are supposed to be here by te end of the week. Can't wait to ride it. Glad we live in Texas!!!!
Have you tested it out yet? I'm looking for a cable set up and can't decide on the process boots or the AJ boots... I will be going with the process board though, but love the look of the AJ blue boots...
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       11-02-2012, 7:17 AM Reply   
I rode the board yesterday for the first time and was very impressed with the boots and system pros. The response that I feel in the boot/board combe is way better than the standard boots for me. Had no problems with putting them on and taking them off either. The whole reason I switched to this setup is that with the Harley my knees would kill me for a week after a hard day of riding and I can say I woke up this morning PAIN FREE. Good luck. I can't compare to the process boots, but these AJ's feel awesome!!! Hyperlite has a new follower......
Old     (Andrew14)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-02-2012, 9:26 AM Reply   
Rance - I'm not that much of a bigger guy (5'10" 175lbs), but I just like the extra lift and softer landings that a bigger board provides....plus I'm not good enough to worry about things like swing weight, so I went with the 145cm. I rode the Marek boots a few times though, and just didn't find them all that comfortable....so I just swapped them for the 2013 Process Boots (they came in yesterday). Going to give them a go this weekend! I'll report back on how comfortable they are.
Attached Images

Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-02-2012, 12:55 PM Reply   
Andrew and Rance - one reason why your boots may not be the most comfortable fitting is that in all of the pictures you guys have posted I have noticed that the tongue of the boot is outside the cuff of the liner, when in fact it should be tucked inside the cuff of the liner (just like a shoe).

Now I know that for some reason it appears they are shipped from the factory this way (judging by the photo of the boots out of the box), but I can promise you that the tongue goes underneath the cuff and not on the outside of the liner between the liner and the laces.

Let me know if I am not explaining this well enough.

Hopefully tucking the tongue inside the cuff of the liner will be more comfortable all around. Glad you guys like your systems, I know I do.
Old     (Andrew14)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-02-2012, 1:10 PM Reply   
Tom - thanks for the post/advice. I am definitely that "noob" that was out there riding my new system boots with the tongue outside of the cuff (rode the Marek boots about 2-3 times that way) and the boots felt very uncomfortable around the joints of my ankles. I'm riding again tomorrow, so I will take your advice and tuck the tongue inside the cuff of the liners....hopefully that will do the trick. Good thing there aren't many good riders on my lake that saw me riding this way....hahaha.

Thanks
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       11-02-2012, 3:23 PM Reply   
NO, I do tuck mine inside when I ride. They are just always outside the cuff when I take them off. Thanks for the heads up though.
Old     (Andrew14)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-15-2012, 11:00 AM Reply   
So I finally got to take a few sets on my 2013 HL Process Boots and WOW! I really didn't think boots made much of a difference, but they worked for me significantly better than the 2013 HL Marek Boots that I had been using with my new 2013 HL Marek Nova 145cm board. The landings on the Process Boots are easier, the less "stiff" cuff/boot design enabled me to twist up more toeside and so I was able to start clearing/landing my TS jumps. For some reason, I couldn't twist enough in the Marek boots when cutting TS and I was getting really bummed because I thought my new Marek just wasn't going to work for me. However, changing out the boots made a big difference and I'm happy I did so. +1 for the new 2013 HL Process Boots.....they are really nice although my riding buddy refers to them as my "Clown Shoes".