Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-18-2013, 7:53 PM Reply   
Is it normal to have very jerky/resistant steering in one direction?

I know it's normal for it to be harder to steer in one direction due to prop direction (my 2009 MB is left hand, I believe), but above about 10MPH if I steer left and then try to steer right (back to center), the wheel pull is hesitant and almost feels like the rudder is sticking. When I'm going straight and try to turn right, it's fine - the "issue" only happens when trying to get back to center after steering left.

I don't notice it at all at slower speeds.

I remember this last year, but not sure if it was as noticeable the first 2 years I had the boat.
Old     (01centurion)      Join Date: Jun 2010       05-18-2013, 8:02 PM Reply   
Having the same problem on my centurion, lube up the steering box. mine has 2 zerk fitting on it. Also see if u have movement on your rudder if you do then it's most likely the steering box(not sure if that's the correct term on a boat)
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-18-2013, 8:08 PM Reply   
Okay I'll look into that. The rudder itself was supposedly greased at the end of last year.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-19-2013, 6:38 AM Reply   
It's probably the Teleflex steering cable but try lubing up the rudder box first
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-19-2013, 6:51 AM Reply   
Is it likely that lots of hard turns would affect that? I end up having to pull kids tubing a couple of times a year (for the few years I've had the boat), and I worried that all the hard turns would do damage but the boat dealer and another mechanic said it would not do any harm.
Old     (01centurion)      Join Date: Jun 2010       05-19-2013, 7:24 AM Reply   
If you can turn your steering wheel with one finger or fairly easy without it hanging up I'm not sure it's the steering cable. But like I said I'm having the same problem with my boat I turn left and try to turn back right it gets very tight. I know most my buddies who had to change steering cables they has problems turning the wheel in and out of water.....
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-19-2013, 8:57 AM Reply   
steering cables wear out and need to be replaced. That is most likely the problem.
Old     (01centurion)      Join Date: Jun 2010       05-19-2013, 11:54 AM Reply   
For the ones that say its the steering cable why would it be hard in the water and not out of it? Not saying you guys are wrong just wondering why it wouldn't be hard all the time.
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-19-2013, 8:16 PM Reply   
On other forums I read that problems might only manifest at speed because of the additional rudder pressure. Not sure if that means there's a problem with the cable on my boat - just what I read.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-21-2013, 11:41 AM Reply   
Last year mine was stiff, replaced the cable and it now turns with a finger either direction, under way and on the trailer. Like bftskir says, they wear out replace it. hard turns should not cause your steeering to get hard to steer. It's about 150 to get a new cable and they are not that hard to put in.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-21-2013, 12:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndk View Post
On other forums I read that problems might only manifest at speed because of the additional rudder pressure. Not sure if that means there's a problem with the cable on my boat - just what I read.
I test drove a boat last weekend that had the same problem. While sitting still the wheel could go from side to side without any effort. While moving though, the thing took two hands to turn. The dealership I'm buying it from told me it was the steering cable and that they would fix it before I pick it up, I'll let you know if they say it was the cable or something else.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-21-2013, 2:17 PM Reply   
if you really want to learn something from this thread learn that difficult steering means replace the cable. that's just the way it is. accept it and move on.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-22-2013, 9:03 AM Reply   
Johndk, 'sticky' steering usually indicates a dry rudder box, not a bad cable. Get your grease gun and pump in as much grease as you possibly can. Some rudder boxes will have two zerk fittings, one on top of the other. Do this annually.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-22-2013, 11:10 AM Reply   
Thats the fact anchor......... what happens is when you load the rudder up in the water while cruising, the inner teleflex chafes against the dry outer casing.. It doesn't do it when unloaded sitting still..
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-22-2013, 11:21 AM Reply   
CHANGE THE STEERING CABLE........just sayin, all the grease in the world won't break loose a stiff steering cable.....