Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-14-2009, 9:42 AM Reply   
So I understand the need for winterization in most areas, but here in NorCal, I keep my boat in heated indoor storage so no real need to be concerned about freezing....

My question is related to what else I should do to my boat during the winter for proper maintenance:

All suggestions appreciated. I assume I should blow the water out of the motor but what about the fogging, etc.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       10-14-2009, 9:53 AM Reply   
I store mine outdoors under a canopy, I usually put in StaBil fuel stabilizer and unhook both leads off the battery, I took one of the p;ugs out of the block in an effort to drain it and some came out but I think you have to take out all of them to truly get the water out, not going to do that this year. It never gets below freezing for more than a few hours less than 20 days in the Central Valley. So for you just put in Sta Bil on your last fill up and you should be good to go, even since its indoors not sure if you need to do that but its only like 10 bucks, the temp fluctuations cause the moisture build up in the gas tank, with no fluctuation indoors I would think minimal moisture buildup
Old     (justsan)      Join Date: May 2009       10-14-2009, 10:27 AM Reply   
Are you riding at all during the winter? ...or calling it quits?
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       10-14-2009, 10:39 AM Reply   
I drained the block, pulled the back plug, disconnected the battery leads, and gave the boat a thorough cleaning with some conditioner on the vinyl. I live up towards Grass Valley though at about 2000 elevation where temps get down in the teens sometimes during the night, but I just keep a light on in the engine compartment while the boat is stored inside the detached garaged.

I read somewhere that you should fill the gas tank all the way up to prevent condensation? But I've also read that others do the opposite... hmmm
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-14-2009, 11:10 AM Reply   
I live in the central valley as well. I drain everything, change fluids, clean and button it up under an enclosed shelter outside, no issues. I was told by a couple dealers that the condensation issue only applies if you have a metal gas tank, condensation doesn't build up in the plastic tanks. So you could leave it empty but i fill mine and add Stabil anyway, old habits.

Also, i do remember about 10 years ago we had a cold snap for about a week where it dipped below 20 degrees at night for about a week and barely above freezing during the day. So yeah it can get cold enough to do damage.

(Message edited by Razzman on October 14, 2009)
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-14-2009, 11:26 AM Reply   
Winters are soo short in cali that I don't worry too much. Add a battery tender and start it once or twice during the winter on the fake-a-lake. That should take care of it.

There are a lot of guys that go overkill and drain the block, add coolant, fog the motor, etc. It really isn't that necessary and I've never had a problem with any of my boats.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-14-2009, 1:03 PM Reply   
All depends on where you live Evan. Bay area, no. I never winterized mine when i lived there either. Disco/Delta, probably not. Some areas of the valley, the foothills and up, yes. An acquaintance of mine who lives in Valley Springs/Hogan Lake lost an engine (block & heads) by not winterizing soon enough and that's only 669 feet in elevation.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-14-2009, 5:12 PM Reply   
I just make sure to take it out and ride twice a month in the winter time!!
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-14-2009, 5:43 PM Reply   
I drain the water and disconnect the battery. That is all. No reason to do anything else really.
Old     (05elitevc4)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-14-2009, 6:08 PM Reply   
Anybody have any negative feedback on StaBil??? I though about draining my tank and running the engine out of gas on the fake lake for winter this year?????? That way there is nothing to "go bad"
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-14-2009, 6:16 PM Reply   
Razzman, you're right on. Sorry, I should have been more specific.

We lost a manifold on my parents boat back in the 80's when it sat in our driveway through the winter.
If the boat is stored inside and freezing isn't an issue, then I wouldn't worry about it.

If freezing is an issue and you wont be running it, then it's a good idea to drain the block, add some stabil (though I've never had a problem without it), make sure the gas is topped up in the tank, disconnect the battery (preferably put it on a charger) and if it's sitting outside under a cover, then putting a 40 watt lightbulb inside the boat plugged in with an extension cord is a good idea. It keeps the mildew down and the temp up to keep anything from freezing.

I also like to give the boat a fresh oil change and change the fuel filter/water seperator before putting it into storage. Fogging the motor is a good idea if it is sitting for a longer period of time, or if it's exposed to any salt air.

Sorry... My early post omitted a bunch.
Old     (denystaucd)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-14-2009, 11:38 PM Reply   
Been using stabil for years with no problems. Also filling up the tank prevents condensation through the vent and causing bad gas. Versus only having a 1/2 tank of gas. Gas tends to go bad in 4-6 months versus 10 years ago when it would last 8-10 month reliably.

Cheers,
DC
Old     (andrewjet)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-15-2009, 9:25 AM Reply   
I am in Dallas and we do get a few freezing days per year. I just Stabil the gas and pull the block drain plugs. And then bump the motor once a month or so, don't start it. So that the rings don't stick. Jet
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-15-2009, 11:12 AM Reply   
Thanks everyone. I appreciate your advice. I am going to change fluids, add stabil and potentially pull the plugs in the block, don't like having water in there all the time.
Old     (05elitevc4)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-16-2009, 8:53 PM Reply   
Pulling the plugs is really easy, just make sure you know exactly how many you pulled so they all go back in. Check your owners manual for locations of all of them. The first time I pulled all of mine I was surprised how much water actually came out. I would recommend plugs out,stabil,oil change,moisture absorber,block wheels off ground for winer. Start of season: fuel filter,new impeller,grease everything,wax.
Old     (hank_rearden)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-16-2009, 8:57 PM Reply   
Hmmm...have never winterized in 5 years of Norcal boat ownership.

The boat has been stored outside (covered) in the Delta (Methyl Island).

This year it's going up to indoor storage in Redding and still no winterization.
Old     (jimmy_z)      Join Date: Jun 2009       10-16-2009, 10:02 PM Reply   
If possible use Sta-Bil on your last fill up of your last session of the year.

That way the complete fuel system is treated.

Unless your from So Cal or Florida. Then we winterize by doing a few sets in November through March!!!!!!!