Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (jiicon)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-27-2009, 2:15 PM Reply   
So I picked up an 02 xstar took it out for the first time yesterday and was using perfect pass. How come you set it to 24 it has to pull the living hell out of you,like up to 30 before it drops back down to 24 basically have to hold on for your life? I kno its probly trying to plain out but its already plained when it hits 24 the first time? Also Im used to riding behind my buddys mb v23 and my riding was alot better, I could not do anything behind this xstar yesterday is it just a matter of getting used to the hole new wake shape or is the mb just a better wake?
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-27-2009, 2:23 PM Reply   
are you just mashing the throttle to the ground and allowing the PP to kick in? The driver should try to get close to 24 on their own then the PP doesn't have to compensate too much.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-27-2009, 2:29 PM Reply   
I will tell you no matter how slowly you do that it still surges way past! I have the same exact boat. I use this time to adjust my shorts, private parts, life jacket, anything else that I need to do before I start riding. Also surgy if its rough or going through turns. My buddy that has the GPS version of PP and one that has Zero off is MUCH nicer. There are other things that will drive you crazy about that boat. However, one of the BEST wakes ever. If you have any question yell at me I am past my learning curve I HOPE!
Old     (shellyrn)      Join Date: May 2006       07-27-2009, 2:33 PM Reply   
PP works great on mine...throttle up to speed...beeeep...stays right on!
Old     (pdub)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-27-2009, 3:24 PM Reply   
^^^^ SAME ON MINE
Old     (jiicon)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-27-2009, 3:28 PM Reply   
So are you guys throttleing it manuley or are you slamming it all the way down?
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-27-2009, 3:47 PM Reply   
if you slam it to full. it will blow past. what we do. is slam it to full. then as soon as the rider is out of the water. we pull the throtle way back to about where it needs to be. it never goes above a mile an hour or two above the speed we set
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-27-2009, 4:49 PM Reply   
Perfect pass works freaking awesome on my 99 Xstar.

You have a couple adjustments like KDW and maybe NN depending on the model.

I had a surging issue about 4 years after owning the boat and tech support had me add a couple cable clamps to the throttle cable to add a little more resistance to the throttle (since it wears a bit over time).

Been 100% perfect since the cable clamp addition, mash the throttle all the way, start pulling off a bit about 1 mph before the set point, it beeps....done.

Oh yeah, I run about 2K lbs of ballast.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-27-2009, 4:56 PM Reply   
Paddle wheel might be coming out of the water?
Old     (jiicon)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-27-2009, 5:19 PM Reply   
i will try that out tomorrow! thx guys
Old     (shellyrn)      Join Date: May 2006       07-27-2009, 5:26 PM Reply   
Yep, full throttle then bring it back down to meet the pp speed.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-27-2009, 5:51 PM Reply   
my perfect pass on my 02 x-star works great too. Never slam the throttle, just ease the rider up and get it close to speed and when I hear the beep, it takes over. When I have a lot of weight, full ballast and 9+ riders, it does seem to slow a little on corners.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-28-2009, 12:59 PM Reply   
Mine works great as well. Some surging issues on windy days to around .5mph but that is about it. Maybe you KDW/NN settings are the wrong settings. How much weight were you running and what is the configuration you are running. This is arguably one of the meatiest wakes produced til the school bus size 24ft'rs.

I run roughly 2k as well. As others have stated, we floor the throttle but pull back once the boat hits roughly 20mph. By the time the boat planes it's at 24.5 like magic. This is the way I tell a couple of my newb friends to drive and it seems to work for them as I get a solid pull. If you ask me you pull back just before it actually planes which is when the speedo reaches around 20.

WHAT KDW/NN VALUES ARE YOU GUYS RUNNING ON YOUR BOATS?
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-28-2009, 10:39 PM Reply   
I just installed PP on my '97 VLX and it was really bad. Up and down 1.5 mph. I called perfect pass and they had me adjust KdW to about 70 And NN up to about 160, I had them the oppisite. Works pretty good now but still +/-.5 mph. I run about 2500+, any suggestions? Sounds like alot of you have it dialed in perfect.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-30-2009, 11:26 AM Reply   
Again, what are the settings some of you guys riding with and how much ballast to go with it?
Old     (wakesurfer08)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-30-2009, 1:15 PM Reply   
Nick,

I run KDW @ 60 and NN @ 100 with 3250lbs ballast plus 2-5 riders and have no problems. It holds right on and will only vary when you need to turn which is not much and I believe that's probably normal. We are running the Acme #1235 prop now but before this prop the factory prop still held the speed darn close also, just did not give us the power to start like the Acme does.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-30-2009, 9:23 PM Reply   
Thanks Jeff, I'll try it with the NN set a little lower.
Old     (jiicon)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-30-2009, 9:55 PM Reply   
Ya I got it now just full throttle then bring it back. Works good. This is my first boat and ya this wake is pretty big for a new guy with stock ballast full! I admit I was a little scared of it. LOL!

S
Old     (xmarksthespot)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-30-2009, 10:33 PM Reply   
There is a way to reset the pp back to stock, I had to do that with my 01 x star right when I got it... Since then all good w 3500 plus of ballest
Old     (jiicon)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-09-2009, 12:17 PM Reply   
Now my pp is really messed up the boat speed is at 15 when pp beeps and the pp stays about 30mph so its going really slow its like its trying to fight the 2 different speeds. does it need to be redone? how do I do this?
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-10-2009, 10:26 AM Reply   
Here is what I would do and my numbers.

I would just do a system reset. Go to pp's page and it will explain how and go from there. Check the paddle wheel itself and see if it is straight in line with the hull. Check to see there is no debris in there. Do a servo motor check (again pp page).

My values are 80 NN and 170KDW Running the Acme 1235 as well with about 2300lbs

Sometimes the computer in there just needs a reboot
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-10-2009, 10:28 AM Reply   
What speed is it set for? Mine only engages within like 1 mph of the actual set speed.
Old     (kal_dude)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-17-2009, 10:10 PM Reply   
mine works perfect as well!! you shouldn't need to slam it to full throttle to get anyone out of the water.

kal
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-18-2009, 6:59 AM Reply   
To reset PP hold the On/Off and Menu button down at the same time. Then turn key on and continue to hold buttons down. In a few seconds it will ask you if you want to reset the PP. Yes, then answer the questions it asks you.