Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (carter13)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-01-2009, 11:33 AM Reply   
Hey girls,
I am currently riding in a 134 board. I am 5'9" tall and weigh about 158. This weekend, my husband got a few tips from a local expert and we realize he has been riding in a board that is too small for him. I think I am too. When I ride I can only go for about 10 mins then I have to take a break, my arms are tired. Is the board sinking and pulling on my arms?
Thinking about getting a new board?? Any suggestions. I would say I am an intermediate rider.
Old     (sexynakedboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-01-2009, 12:03 PM Reply   
hey Carter. I had use to ride a 134 also and thought any bigger it wold be huge. im about same height and weight as you are. I just went up to a 137 which is made by Ronix its called the Coy and let me tell you i love that board and ride so much better it gives you great pop and everything on it. i wouldnt go up to a huge board because i find it alot harder to control and throw around as easy. well i hope this helps if you have any questions on the ronix coy let me know its a great board
Old     (carter13)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-01-2009, 1:11 PM Reply   
Thanks Brittany for the info. I will look into that board.
Old    wakejjboard12            06-01-2009, 7:14 PM Reply   
What board are you riding? Some boards are wider and made to ride down a size. If thats the case you may be on the correct size.
Old     (carter13)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-01-2009, 9:08 PM Reply   
My board is a 134 Liquid Force Angel.
Old    wakejjboard12            06-02-2009, 6:56 AM Reply   
Weight range for the '09 LF Angel: 90 lbs. to 165 lbs.

I would say you are ok and just need more water time to get your arms used to the strain.

If you go up a size it will prob easier to ride longer but DEF more difficult for you to control.
Old     (sexynakedboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-02-2009, 7:26 AM Reply   
Hey Carter that was the same board hat i was riding before.I switched it to a cwb for a year same size and then went right back to it. then i got that ronix which is a little better and love that board. Are you holding onto the handle for dear life when your riding? cause i tend to do that when im trying new tricks and the next day my arms get super sore. but i think you do just need to get out and ride more. stretch your arms out before going in that helps alot also. and force your self to just hold on a little longer each time you go out and ride.:-)
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-02-2009, 9:10 AM Reply   
Is it your arms or your hands/grip? At the right speed any board should float you in the water so I'm less likely to think that it is the size of your board.

When you are riding and carving your arms should be relaxed with softly extended elbows - if you keep trying to hold the handle in the whole time you are using your muscles too much and they are getting over-worked. What part specifically gets tired?
Old     (carter13)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-02-2009, 10:36 AM Reply   
Hey Girls,
Thanks for all the response. We were with a pro this weekend and he felt my board was too small for me. He thought I should move up to a 137-138. I am also tall.
I am very fit, lift weights 3 times a week and run. So I don't think it is the strength. I certainly haven't been out much yet this year.
I have been working on keeping my hands to my waist and find that there is a lot on tension on my arms from the boat.
I am looking at getting the Ronix Coy 137 or the Liquid Force Syn 137. Hoping it will improve my ride some.
I appreciate the comments:-)
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-02-2009, 1:14 PM Reply   
Great thinking to ride with a pro. I bet he helped you with a lot of issues.
Old     (carter13)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-02-2009, 1:26 PM Reply   
Thanks, he felt both my husbands board and mine were to small and we were sinking some in the water.

(Message edited by carter13 on June 02, 2009)
Old    wakejjboard12            06-02-2009, 4:44 PM Reply   
I've lifted weights for about 8 years but the pull of a boat is different. No matter how in shape I am if I haven't ridden in awhile I'll be sore.

Good Luck with the new board though :-) I love the feeling of a new ride!
Old     (carter13)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-02-2009, 8:15 PM Reply   
I just ordered an 08 LF Melissa 138. Can't wait to try it out.
Thanks girls for your help
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-04-2009, 7:32 PM Reply   
I have the 08LF Melissa 138 and love it!
Old     (sexynakedboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-05-2009, 8:00 AM Reply   
yeah i rode that board carter and i did like it alot i just didnt get enough ride time on it to really fall in love with it then i had the whole weekend and rode the coy in the comp and it gave me such huge pop and i feel in love with it. so i got that one instead
Old     (erbear)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-18-2009, 9:58 AM Reply   
I have the 08 LF melissa also. I love that board! I have improved so much since i switched over to it
Old     (bfnaci)      Join Date: Dec 2008       06-18-2009, 10:15 PM Reply   
Hi Carter,
My wife is also very fit and about your size.
She rides three or four time s a week and rides a loong time each session. She has some serious guns and its not from weights in a gym, its all wakeboarding. If you rode more often you would break through the arm pump sooner. Lifting weights might be doing you more harm than good, a weight trainer could explain it better than me.

I'm sure you will love the new board, when you start getting tired again, force yourself to ride switch and keep going with your primary pull on the other arm. You will break through the arm pump, we all face it at the beginning of every summer.

Happy Boarding