Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (slax303)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Portland to Boston       06-24-2015, 10:31 AM Reply   
John Dorton (ex Mastercraft CEO) has come out with a completely different idea of a budget
based V-Drive. It won't be under the Bryant name, but will be made at the Bryant factory.

18' LOA by 8' Beam (but with the same practical displacement as a 21')
Crusader 5.7 ltr V-Drive
Simple ballast system
Blue tooth sound system
Smart phone/pad gauge system
Tower
Speed control
Single Axle trailer
Target retail price $39,995

Quote:
“It’s all about the wake,” John Dorton said. “The wake and the music.”

The 18-foot boat will have a 21-foot boat’s wake because it has the same amount of hull in the water as a 21-footer, John Dorton said. It’s built for six passengers, which gave designers more ballast capacity and made for more versatile interior space. It’s powered with a 5.7L engine from Crusader, one of Correct Craft’s latest purchases.

A professional wakeboarder, Ben Dorton said the boat produces a good wake, which was crucial for its success with his demographic.

When designing the boat, Bryant tried to do three things.

“We saw a demand for a rugged boat,” he said. “It had to be able to be stored, clean easy, trailer easy. There are a few things we’ve done on the exterior to offer protective surfaces instead of gelcoat that can scratch really easily. So when they rub up against the docks, it won’t faze the finish. The interior vinyls are really dense, so they have no chance of tearing, scuffing, scratching when your friends jump on the boats with a 12-pack and their shoes on.”

“We knew we had to make the boat lighter and easier to store so they can tow it with their Xterra,” Ben Dorton said. “And we knew we’ve got to hit a price point where they were comfortable buying it.”

The Wake Tractor is set to retail for $39,900 with the trailer, tower, bimini top, speed control ballast and music system.

“We designed a lot of content out that’s not important to this group,” the elder Dorton said. “It’s a good-looking boat. You just won’t miss it. The boat’s a head turner. But there are significant content pieces in traditional boats that aren’t in this one.”

And as important, the Wake Tractor opens up a whole new realm to enable people to connect via social media, Ben Dorton said, using Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and video integration with monitors.

“We knew we had to make it become that tool to communicate with friends,” he said. “They can connect GoPros to the tablet at the helm and record the ride. And when they’re done after, they can share it with everyone.”

The Wi-Fi-based boat will be driven off a smart tablet, where all of the gauge readings will be displayed. It will have Bluetooth connected to the system so the stereo head unit can be eliminated.
Not sure that I can release the picture yet, but there you have it....
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-24-2015, 10:41 AM Reply   
So it's called the wake tractor? That's awesome.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       06-24-2015, 10:45 AM Reply   
now make that in a 21' boat and we are talking ... i'd take that every day for 50-60k
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-24-2015, 11:02 AM Reply   
This is what the used boat market is for. I saw an episode of Top Gear once where they showed a car that you could get bran new for 5 or 6 thousand dollars. Then they showed what you could get used for the same price. It was ridiculous how much more car you could get used than what this bran new car had. The same will be true for boats. If you want it cheap, get it used. Add to this the huge amount of cash you will lose on resale and you will end up paying triple or more in the long run. Buy a used boat for 50K and sell it on 3 years later for 47K. Buy a bran new "bargain" boat for 50K and sell it on 3 years later for 25K. The used boat costs you 3 thousand to own. The "cheap" one costs you 25K to own. Even if you had to completely rebuild the engine of the used boat you'll still be way ahead. This isn't brain surgery. It's common sense. I bet the profit margin is even higher on the cheap boat. It usually is.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-24-2015, 11:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartt3 View Post
now make that in a 21' boat and we are talking ... i'd take that every day for 50-60k
For 50-60k you can get into a base Axis, MB, Moomba ... the market is already pretty saturated with good boats in the 50-60k range.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-24-2015, 11:05 AM Reply   
I really really hope it's got more than a 6 person capacity plate!!!!! That's stupid if it can't legally hold more than 6!
Old     (MarkMason)      Join Date: Feb 2014       06-24-2015, 11:11 AM Reply   
Let's see the picture, Sean!
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-24-2015, 12:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
i'd take that every day for 50-60k
all day?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-24-2015, 12:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicron View Post
I really really hope it's got more than a 6 person capacity plate!!!!! That's stupid if it can't legally hold more than 6!
The capacity on the plate in your boat is not a legally binding capacity.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-24-2015, 12:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
The capacity on the plate in your boat is not a legally binding capacity.

Wisconsin DNR and their $180+ ticket per person over says it is.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-24-2015, 12:51 PM Reply   
Pics or it didn't happen LOL
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-24-2015, 12:52 PM Reply   
BTW where does it verify this boat is a vdrive?
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-24-2015, 1:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverRider View Post
This is what the used boat market is for. I saw an episode of Top Gear once where they showed a car that you could get bran new for 5 or 6 thousand dollars. Then they showed what you could get used for the same price. It was ridiculous how much more car you could get used than what this bran new car had. The same will be true for boats. If you want it cheap, get it used. Add to this the huge amount of cash you will lose on resale and you will end up paying triple or more in the long run. Buy a used boat for 50K and sell it on 3 years later for 47K. Buy a bran new "bargain" boat for 50K and sell it on 3 years later for 25K. The used boat costs you 3 thousand to own. The "cheap" one costs you 25K to own. Even if you had to completely rebuild the engine of the used boat you'll still be way ahead. This isn't brain surgery. It's common sense. I bet the profit margin is even higher on the cheap boat. It usually is.
I don't agree, look at the resale on the Axis boats. If the boat is good, it's resale will be strong. Also, IF (big IF) this boat is a success, then let's say resale is 30-35 on a 2 year old boat. How is that going to affect the resale value of current 10 year old boats in the same price range...?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-24-2015, 1:56 PM Reply   
V-drives are holding their value better than ever. I'll run my new axis through the summer and sell it for a little less than I paid.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-24-2015, 1:56 PM Reply   
If the boat is a V-drive and its relatively solid(Bryants have great quality) they will sell. Most people aren't putting more than 6 in a 21 foot direct drive and they cost that. If it has the options stated and is indeed a V-drive and they are $39,999 they will sell as many as they can build. IMO. If you need to haul more than 6 obviously its not gonna be the boat for you. What other V-drive on the market has a MSRP even close to that with stereo, tower, bimini and a trailer.
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-24-2015, 1:57 PM Reply   
This is exactly what I am waiting for...21 ft wake boat.

If it comes in anywhere near 40USD I will be the first to test drive.
Old     (hferrell12)      Join Date: May 2015       06-24-2015, 2:28 PM Reply   
I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

I know a lot of you guys on here treat your stuff like gold & I really admire you for that. But I like to use my stuff. Ride it hard & put it up wet. take care of everything mechanical and don't waste anytime waxing its *******.

I've had quite a few used, budget wakeboard boats & I'm always disappointed because once the boat gets in my price range, things don't work like they should anymore. And I will never in a million years spend $100k on a boat.

Rough, tough, and lots of built in ballast & I'll buy it.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-24-2015, 2:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Yup.. came to post this. 6 people? Less than I can comfortably seat a typical SUV? No thanks.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-24-2015, 2:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator View Post
Yup.. came to post this. 6 people? Less than I can comfortably seat a typical SUV? No thanks.
What typical SUV comfortably seats 7 adults?
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-24-2015, 2:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
What typical SUV comfortably seats 7 adults?
Excursions
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-24-2015, 3:08 PM Reply   
In my mind six is a layout like the old 210.
Old     (dirtrider)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-24-2015, 3:10 PM Reply   
From the Volvo Penta Site:
Wake surfing is the mission of the new Volvo Penta Forward Drive, a stern drive with the props facing forward, similar to those on pod drives, the company revealed today at the Miami International Boat Show. Developed in just under a year, according to boat builder sources, the Forward Drive applies IPS and Duoprop ideas in a pulling, or “tractor” drive, that locates the propellers under the hull of the boat, 27 inches further forward than the props of a Duoprop. In this location, it seems very unlikely that a wake surfer could suffer a prop strike in a fall, especially if the boat is equipped with an extended swim platform. The Forward drive is debuting in Miami on boats from Bryant, Four Winns and Cobalt, with other builders engaged in testing the drive.

Seeing as they refer to this as a "tractor" drive, I bet that the Wake Tractor is going to have this Volvo Penta Forward Drive.
Attached Images

Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-24-2015, 4:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverRider View Post
Buy a used boat for 50K and sell it on 3 years later for 47K. Buy a bran new "bargain" boat for 50K and sell it on 3 years later for 25K. The used boat costs you 3 thousand to own. The "cheap" one costs you 25K to own. Even if you had to completely rebuild the engine of the used boat you'll still be way ahead. This isn't brain surgery. It's common sense. I bet the profit margin is even higher on the cheap boat. It usually is.
This may have been true in the past, but not necessarily true from 2010 and on. My wife and I bought our boat brand new in 2011, we ordered it exactly how we wanted it from the factory. I can sell it right now for the exact same price I paid then, or a couple thousand less, and it is 4 years old. This normally does not happen, but because boat prices have soared, used boats prices have come up (because of demand thanks to soaring new boat prices of $100k+ like MC's x20), my "budget boat" has held it's price for the last 4 years.

Also, think of the mastercraft 205v, I would not want 6 people in that boat with me, on a regular basis, and it is a great wakeboat, and its smaller size would not stop most people who want a really great wakeboat... I do not think this "6 persons maximum" is even an issue. If your crew is really big, you are not going to be in the market for any 21 foot boat, let alone a 18 foot boat. You need a 23+.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-24-2015, 5:27 PM Reply   
Crusader engine with a Volvo penta drive?
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       06-24-2015, 6:11 PM Reply   
I love it!!! finally someone GETS it!!
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-25-2015, 3:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_defacto View Post
This may have been true in the past, but not necessarily true from 2010 and on. My wife and I bought our boat brand new in 2011, we ordered it exactly how we wanted it from the factory. I can sell it right now for the exact same price I paid then, or a couple thousand less, and it is 4 years old. This normally does not happen, but because boat prices have soared, used boats prices have come up (because of demand thanks to soaring new boat prices of $100k+ like MC's x20), my "budget boat" has held it's price for the last 4 years.

Also, think of the mastercraft 205v, I would not want 6 people in that boat with me, on a regular basis, and it is a great wakeboat, and its smaller size would not stop most people who want a really great wakeboat... I do not think this "6 persons maximum" is even an issue. If your crew is really big, you are not going to be in the market for any 21 foot boat, let alone a 18 foot boat. You need a 23+.
This is very true. Trpically when I am out wakeboarding, the max people we have on the boat is 5. Any more people and there won't be enough ride time for everyone to get a set or two.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-25-2015, 4:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezul View Post
This is very true. Trpically when I am out wakeboarding, the max people we have on the boat is 5. Any more people and there won't be enough ride time for everyone to get a set or two.

Hey I'm the first one to say 3's company and 4's a crowd when going wakeboarding too! But don't know about u all but I like to use my boat for alittle more than that or atleast have the option to. I've for a family of 4 and we often invite other families out with us just to enjoy the lake and have fun. Not an option for that with 6 cap.
I wanna no how come a 21' hull displacement as they say doesn't equal 21' of hull capacity? False or sketchy advertising it appears to me.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-25-2015, 4:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Hey I'm the first one to say 3's company and 4's a crowd when going wakeboarding too! But don't know about u all but I like to use my boat for alittle more than that or atleast have the option to. I've for a family of 4 and we often invite other families out with us just to enjoy the lake and have fun. Not an option for that with 6 cap.
I wanna no how come a 21' hull displacement as they say doesn't equal 21' of hull capacity? False or sketchy advertising it appears to me.

A boat that size isn't the best option for everyone...

I think the displacement statement is based on having a wide beam relative to the length.
Old     (slax303)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Portland to Boston       06-25-2015, 6:39 AM Reply   
It is a Crusader 5.7 V-Drive, not a Volvo I/O
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       06-25-2015, 8:07 AM Reply   
6 for some especially for people who live in the water is plenty. Going out riding for us is not a "event" it's a after work 2 hr couple of sets thing. So this budget boat would be perfect for that.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-25-2015, 8:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hferrell12 View Post
I can't stop racking my brain about that forward drive....why? V-drive is proven technology. Who wasted time inventing this?

It's still going to need a rudder behind the prop, A v-drive can be taken apart & separated from a boat & motor by a teenager, and this looks like you'd need a plethora of specialty tools to even poke it.

Hit something with a vdrive & you break/bend a shaft & bend a prop. Hit something with this and two props, prop shaft, prop shaft gear, housing.

anyone else thing this is dumb?
Its the next generation when it comes to I/O. Vdrives have plenty of limitations. It doesn't need a rudder behind the prop, it's integral.

I am not saying that the forward drive is the replacement for vdrives or ski boats, it isn't, but I've read good things and if it gets a family on the water wakesurfing in a safe manner then I am all for it.

Your way of thinking and speaking is ignorant, and sounds dumb - frankly.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-25-2015, 8:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
First of all, 6 person capacity is heresay at best at this point.

Secondly, a boat could have a running surface/contact patch equal to that of a 21' boat - think about a 21' pickle fork vs a 21' regular bow boat - which one has more interior room, which one has a greater displacement.

Also, I know you know this, but displacement has the sunken factor, it's volume. An 18' boat sunk with 2000lbs of ballast probably displaces an equal or greater amount of water than a 21' boat with 1000lbs of ballast - ya dig? That's why the old MC 205Vs and Nauti 210s were so efficient - they displaced as much or more water in a more efficient manner.

I am interested in waiting and seeing what this boat could possibly be. Everyone should also remember that a new 40k boat will be easier to get a loan for, at a lower rate, than a 10 yr old used boat - at least that's my perception, correct me if I am wrong.

If this thing winds up being essentially a newer/broader version of say the old Nautique 2001, that'd be sweet
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-25-2015, 9:13 AM Reply   
I think I just saw a picture of this boat on facebook. I am not letting the cat out of the bag but some post on here guessed correct.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-25-2015, 9:34 AM Reply   
link us wuss
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       06-25-2015, 9:39 AM Reply   
that would be really dumb and a waste of money to buy an IO for 40k thats that small. i dont care which way the prop faces ... if its not a vdrive its a waste of time
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       06-25-2015, 9:41 AM Reply   
If its a PCM - it wont be an I/O
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-25-2015, 11:06 AM Reply   
http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/2015/0...sletter-062415
More information.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       06-25-2015, 11:39 AM Reply   
Lmao delta force came on here calling people dumb and ignorant for having a valid opinion. Which is .....dumb and ignorant!
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-25-2015, 3:20 PM Reply   
To be accurate, Delta force didn't call "people" dumb and ignorant, he told one person that that person's way of thinking was ignorant (which is an opinion) and "sounds dumb" (which is also an opinion). This is a far cry from calling him dumb and ignorant.

Okay, now can we see pictures of this boat?
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       06-25-2015, 10:07 PM Reply   
Lol!! I do the same with my fiancé all the time! I didn't say your irritating,I said you're being irritating.
Old     (LanceM)      Join Date: Jun 2014       06-26-2015, 5:59 AM Reply   
Pix!
Old     (hferrell12)      Join Date: May 2015       06-26-2015, 8:09 AM Reply   
"Your way of thinking and speaking is ignorant, and sounds dumb - frankly."

Whether you're stating an opinion or fact. You straight up just called me dumb.

Listen, because I was doing 10 things at once. My way of typing may have sounded dumb, I'll give you that much.

But thinking. I drive a Chevrolet truck an the engine has had the same backbone for 50+ years. My boat happens to have the same motor. I also have a Honda Accord because they're simple & reliable & at 200k miles they drive like they have 50k. I am a licensed mechanic & excuse me if I don't jump on board when someone re-invents the wheel.

That being said, I had this pictured all wrong. It does mount like a regular I/O. just a forward facing prop. I had pictured the motor backwards with this odd contraption wedged in a slot. Like a reinvented V-drive, which is as retarded as I imagined it being.

Regardless of how flawlessly it was engineered, there are pitfalls that might not be discovered for 5-10 years. Maybe not, but I don't plan on being the one to find out. That can be your job Delta Force, since your so smart.
Old     (jws2)      Join Date: Apr 2015       06-26-2015, 8:16 AM Reply   
Harrison, I understand your thinking on the new drive flaws. However Volvo Penta has been making a similar version for larger boats for years.
Old     (TTyler89)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-26-2015, 8:31 AM Reply   
I work on mercruser's and volvos daily. Other than the gear case on the lower unit being flipped, I dont see very many issues with this drive. The only issues ive seen with volvo drives lately has been the forward side of the clutch cone wearing out in some cases. They are made from brass. Its a $200.00 part and about 2.5 hours of labor to replace them and thats it. Now as far as damages go when the drive strikes a submerged obstacle, that is going to be the kicker. As of now, usually it just breaks off skags or bends ears on props and typically leaves the shafts unscathed. With this drive, who knows.
Old     (hferrell12)      Join Date: May 2015       06-26-2015, 11:49 AM Reply   
Is it substantially cheaper to use an I/O, or Forward I/O setup than v-drive?
Old     (TTyler89)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-26-2015, 1:26 PM Reply   
Usually a Direct drive and V-drive are cheaper driveline wise than an I/O driveline. The real benefit of an I/O is their ease of installing and interior layout configuration for the boat manufacturer. Plus they get substantially better packaged deals from volvo and mercruiser by ordering in such large quantities. But a true cost comparison, direct and v-drives are cheaper.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-26-2015, 1:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheadd View Post
Lol!! I do the same with my fiancé all the time! I didn't say your irritating,I said you're being irritating.
lol.... how is that working out for you?
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       07-06-2015, 4:41 AM Reply   
How is that backwards I/O drive cheaper than or superior to a BW, ZF, or Velvet Drive? More complexity in the drive as well as the hull and likely more labor intensive to service. I don't get it. Only area an I/O is superior is top speed and fuel economy (generally) as the shaft angles used on ski and wake boats are fairly steep.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-06-2015, 6:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
How is that backwards I/O drive cheaper than or superior to a BW, ZF, or Velvet Drive? More complexity in the drive as well as the hull and likely more labor intensive to service. I don't get it. Only area an I/O is superior is top speed and fuel economy (generally) as the shaft angles used on ski and wake boats are fairly steep.
I/Os are superior in low speed maneuverability, shallow water maneuverability - although tough to say how high you can get that drive and still get thrust for turning in shallow water with the forward drive?, among other things I/Os do well and better than direct drives...

There are a lot of tradeoffs between the two, and I don't think anyone ever said that forward drive was superior to a direct/Vdrive, nor do I think anyone was saying that the forward drive was the next best thing in wake tech, or was going to be used on the bryant inboard.

I am also betting it isn't cheaper, but as it gets on the market it will probably eventually become comparable to some of the regular duoprop I/Os in price
Old     (TTyler89)      Join Date: Jun 2015       07-06-2015, 6:36 AM Reply   
How is it any more complex than what Volvo already has on the market? The upper unit with with the forward and reverse gear sets are the exact same as what they presently have out right now, so not really any change there. The only difference being the lower unit is flipped, but that's just redesigning the lower unit housing and and using the same counter rotating gear set as what they have out currently. As far as hull modifications, you won't need any. From the looks of the transom assembly the only thing that will be under the hull will be that black cone and it's far enough down that it can't get into anything on the boat. You'd be surprised at how strong these units are. They use them on big cruisers all the time without many issues other than boots and bellows going bad after 5-6 years of being in the water and the clutch cone wearing out once in a blue moon. Now this driveline price, I'm not sure how much more it is going to be. It really depends on where Volvo prices it. It'll be expensive this year as it just came out, but give it 4-5 years and I bet the price will be down with what their drives are going for today. Are they superior to a true inboard? Depends on the application. If makers like Bryant put these drives in their boats and can make some sort of wake surfing system on their boats, I can see them selling quite a few boats due to the versitility of an I/O that can surf.
Old     (Brandin10)      Join Date: Jul 2015       07-06-2015, 11:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
For 50-60k you can get into a base Axis, MB, Moomba ... the market is already pretty saturated with good boats in the 50-60k range.
Also a Supreme S21 like mine
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-06-2015, 1:44 PM Reply   
Interested to see more...
Attached Images

Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       07-07-2015, 5:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
I/Os are superior in low speed maneuverability, shallow water maneuverability - although tough to say how high you can get that drive and still get thrust for turning in shallow water with the forward drive?, among other things I/Os do well and better than direct drives...

There are a lot of tradeoffs between the two, and I don't think anyone ever said that forward drive was superior to a direct/Vdrive, nor do I think anyone was saying that the forward drive was the next best thing in wake tech, or was going to be used on the bryant inboard.

I am also betting it isn't cheaper, but as it gets on the market it will probably eventually become comparable to some of the regular duoprop I/Os in price
Titlt the drive too high and turn it much past straight and you'll be replacing ujoints. That's a lot of work to clear a few inches at best. These things vary from boat to boat, but generally draft is comparable unless you're paddling.

True an I/O can steer better around the docks, but I think we all know this is trivial once you learn how to handle your boat, but worth mentioning as a benefit along with better fuel efficiency and higher top speed.

Nobody explicitly said this reverse I/O drive is superior or cheaper... But it was supposed that this unit may be used in a budget wake boat. If that is the case then it must be either cheaper than an inboard drive system (highly doubtful) or superior (debatable, depending on intended use).

TTyler, I'm comparing complexity and cost to DD/VD, which are both very simple.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-07-2015, 6:29 AM Reply   
Cory, in the article/release, it was mentioned that this Bryant wake boat would have a crusader engine - I don't think Crusader is going to mate to a volvo drive, but I could be wrong...

In that concept sketch it looks like there's a bump out for an outdrive on the stern, but it's an artists rendering so it could be a funky step to the swim platform - who knows.

I know people who have driven inboards that pull right in reverse for nearly 10 years and still can't maneuver around docks, but I don't disagree with your learning to handle the boat - but many hours need to be spent and attention paid to "get it". I also have friends who own Nautiques that pull left and they know my boat pulls right, and they forget every time they approach a dock. Many people don't possess this mechanical learning capacity, speed and spatial awareness, and motor skills and memory to "be one" with their machine. From your posts about fabricating and being old school - I know you get it

In a few posts on this thread (not all directed at you) I was mainly playing devils advocate - there are a TON of people on this forum that can't see why anyone would ever own a bassboat or family sterndrive run about, and frankly don't understand how HUGE those markets are compared to ours. We are the vast minority. As such, there are a lot of people seeming to be on this forum that never came from any other type of boating, so they don't know anything else. That's fine, I'm just saying "open your eyes, remove your horse blinders, I/Os and outboards have real benefits (that I don't need).

Anywho, back to work.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-07-2015, 6:47 AM Reply   
God I love it. If we could get a 21er with a realistic out the door price in the high40s that would seriously shake things up.

Plus you guys think Bryant is going to be lower quality than axis?
Old     (07launch22ssv)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-04-2015, 6:21 AM Reply   
Anyone happen to look at Ben Dorton's Facebook page?
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-04-2015, 7:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07launch22ssv View Post
Anyone happen to look at Ben Dorton's Facebook page?
Yep.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-04-2015, 7:26 AM Reply   
Wooooah. Looks like 20isn foot boat with the nose chopped off
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-04-2015, 7:31 AM Reply   
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-04-2015, 7:51 AM Reply   
Very interested to see more. It may not pan out, but it is always good to see someone try something new, not just copy cat others in the industry.

Last edited by MattieK27; 09-04-2015 at 8:00 AM.
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-04-2015, 8:07 AM Reply   
I love someone trying something unique but initial impression...not good.

Having that cabin space with the heater blasting is important for me. Where does the windshield go?

Seating looks less social than my D-drive.

I would love to see more pictures/specs.

NIce to see something different than a 25ft 200K surf barge
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-04-2015, 8:13 AM Reply   
Great for mirror states with 1 driver. Boat is always evenly weighted
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-04-2015, 8:24 AM Reply   
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-04-2015, 8:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucked View Post
I love someone trying something unique but initial impression...not good.

Having that cabin space with the heater blasting is important for me. Where does the windshield go?

Seating looks less social than my D-drive.

I would love to see more pictures/specs.

NIce to see something different than a 25ft 200K surf barge
No cabin space, no windshield. Keep in mind, it is purely meant to be a tow boat, and the smallest one available. 18' v-drive, thats smaller than ski boats (19'-20'), with a listed capacity of only 5 people. Definitely not for everyone, but maybe a good stepping stone to a true tow boat for a Sea Doo spark owner. (or someone that has tow vehicle or garage limitations)

Hopefully we see the whole thing soon. I am interested, plus all the negative posts on this site will be amusing to read.
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-04-2015, 8:34 AM Reply   
Agree with your thoughts. i'm keeping an open mind...

I agree with a "less is more" philosophy
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       09-04-2015, 8:39 AM Reply   
Doesn't have enough cup holders
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-04-2015, 9:36 AM Reply   
Screw it. I will post it...

Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-04-2015, 9:46 AM Reply   
I was going to say that's got a very odd rear angle on it but I see from the pic above they plan on adding a step and a platform. Either way that looks quite deep.
Old     (nautibouys)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-04-2015, 9:54 AM Reply   
Interesting use of Wet Sounds sound bar on the tower. Well the stereo should be pretty sweet!
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-04-2015, 10:01 AM Reply   
Looks like inboard to me.
Attached Images

Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-04-2015, 10:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottog1979 View Post
Looks like inboard to me.
Thanks Capt obvious.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-04-2015, 10:56 AM Reply   
Just glad I could be helpful. (But apparently you don't need any help.) I'll sit down & be quiet now.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-04-2015, 11:58 AM Reply   
WTF!

That's one way to ensure you get looks and talk about your new product , but also a bigger way to not sell any units. That was a waste of design and R&d money. Those guys should be fired. Geeeeeeeeeeeeezus.

The vinyl already looks like garbage and it hasn't even left the factory or gotten use yet.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-04-2015, 12:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrider View Post
I was going to say that's got a very odd rear angle on it but I see from the pic above they plan on adding a step and a platform. Either way that looks quite deep.
Ballast?
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-04-2015, 1:02 PM Reply   
I actually like the layout, looks functional to me. That said, we always just took wakeboard set after set until the tank was empty with a small crew of 5 tops. The vinyl work does look like it was done by a toddler for sure. Lack of a windshield would be an issue for me. I've never driven a center console, but not having the arm rest throttle area on the side of the boat looks like it might be awkward.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       09-04-2015, 1:08 PM Reply   
But bro! It has seakeck!
Old     (Treybiz)      Join Date: Nov 2014       09-04-2015, 1:24 PM Reply   
After owning a center console bay boat and plenty o' jet fleas the lack of windshield wouldn't bother me much. And if they are going for purpose built wake boat and nothing else it looks like they are on the right track. I like the idea. I would have loved something like this in my 20s when it was just me and my buddies wakeboarding. With a family now I probably wouldn't be in the market.

Saying all that it looks goofy.

And as was mentioned the vinyl looks like it was done by a drunk six year old.

Optimistic it turns out cool
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       09-04-2015, 1:28 PM Reply   
Hope they don't plan on selling them for more than 14 grand new. Because I'd rather have a used direct drive or used v drive. That thing is hideous
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-04-2015, 1:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
Great for mirror states with 1 driver. Boat is always evenly weighted
But where do you attach the mirror?

Model WT-1

Wakeboat Travesty-1

Last edited by xstarrider; 09-04-2015 at 1:36 PM.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-04-2015, 2:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarrider View Post
But where do you attach the mirror?

Model WT-1

Wakeboat Travesty-1
Man everyone selling this thing short without seeing the finished product. What if you get a G21 wake for 40k - then what would you say/do?

Remember the MB F22 reveal with uneven vinyl? Ppl pay 60-70 for those boats, yes?

I am not a fan of the center console no windshield but hey see what happens. If the wake is mackin, I say score. Function over form!