Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-09-2019, 3:58 AM Reply   
Hey guys just curious your thoughts on using non ethanol aka boat gas in your inboards. I have a 2002 xstar and wawa just opened right by me with non ethanol gas. Was thinking of switching to that instead of regular unleaded. Any thoughts either way.
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-09-2019, 5:20 AM Reply   
I avoid ethanol in all my toys or tools that will sit for prolonged periods of time. With that said, my 94 205 has never had a drop of ethanol.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       09-10-2019, 4:40 AM Reply   
I wonder about this too. I have an Ls3 engine that says it requires 91. The only ethanol gas around me is 88. I've been using the normal 91.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-10-2019, 5:21 AM Reply   
having replaced both fuel pumps in my rig from running the 10% crap, all I use is ethanol free
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-10-2019, 11:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
non ethanol gas vs 87 grade
two ENTIRELY different topics, as neither has anything to do with the other.
Old     (wombat2wombat)      Join Date: Sep 2018       09-11-2019, 1:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chpthril View Post
two ENTIRELY different topics, as neither has anything to do with the other.
Finally. I was scratching my head & getting a headache reading the crap above.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-11-2019, 2:34 AM Reply   
Ok guys then NON ETHANOL gas vs Gas that contains amounts of Ethanol in it. Most the outboard guys in the florida area use non ethanol gas. I use it in my small engines. How many of you are using NON ETHANOL gas in your inboards and why. What is the advantages?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-11-2019, 3:03 AM Reply   
For those that use a boat regularly and have short winter layups, there should be little worries with the use of ethanol. Just use some fuel treatment. For those that put little hours on the boat or have long layups, non-ethanol can be an advantage, as ethanol is prone to more moisture absorption then non-ethanol gasoline.
Old     (Xbigpun66)      Join Date: Aug 2016       09-11-2019, 1:51 PM Reply   
My 210 always gets non ethanol fuel only. I am an automotive service manager and understand that 100% gasoline burns more complete and efficiently.
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       09-12-2019, 5:07 AM Reply   
I burn E10 all summer long when the boat's in regular use. In the fall I switch over to ethanol free for the last few tanks, just so it's not sitting with ethanol in it all winter. So far, no issues going that route on an old 94. I'll do fuel lines this winter, but only because they're old and it's cheap/easy to do (not from any performance issues/problems).

Small engines and anything used infrequently, non-ethanol all the way.
Old     (wombat2wombat)      Join Date: Sep 2018       09-12-2019, 6:51 AM Reply   
non ethanol round here is not easy to come by & the one place I know of is expensive. I however boat weekly & sometimes during the week. For storage put in some stabilizer & fill the tank all the way with gas so there isn't room for moisture & you'll be fine.
Old     (TTyler89)      Join Date: Jun 2015       09-12-2019, 12:33 PM Reply   
If you are constantly running your boat I wouldn’t bother paying a premium for non-ethanol gas. You’re just wasting money and you’re not seeing any gain in performance. Now for the end of the season like mentioned above, the last tank or last two tanks of ethanol free is a good practice for storage. Treated ethanol blend gas will go 6 months. If storing longer ethanol free is the way to go for storage. Regardless ethanol blend or free, for storage it’s always good practice to top off the tank as there is no room for condensation in the tank to produce moisture.
Old     (Matt0520)      Join Date: Feb 2019       09-19-2019, 4:41 AM Reply   
Costco 93 E10 all year no issues.

Stabil in the tank for winter time.

Doesn't need to be hard lol
Old     (99_air_warrior)      Join Date: May 2008       09-19-2019, 5:24 AM Reply   
I guess I am missing something The only non ethanol fuel in my area is 87 octane which is too low of octane for watercraft. Carbureted Higher HP. older engines require 91 octane. That about covers Watercraft. You can use Octane booster but that is a product with deceiving Octane boost numbers
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-19-2019, 6:34 AM Reply   
You can use 91 or higher E10 or use 87 non-ethanol and mix in your octane booster additive to reduce the volatility.
Old     (99_air_warrior)      Join Date: May 2008       09-19-2019, 7:25 AM Reply   
Chipthril Did you not read what I said about octane booster. Please do some research on the numbers that are on the supplement bottle. No 91 non-ethanol or E-10 available from the pump. You can buy anything in 55 gallon barrels. I am paying 6.80 gallon for racing fuel right now.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-19-2019, 8:14 AM Reply   
Now ill ask what am I missing? If you want to avoid E-10, you can run 87 and add "octane Booster". If you dont want to do this and still want to avoid E-10, then I guess keep paying 6.60 p/gal or let the boat collect dust.

To know the octane boost numbers are deceiving, implies someone has figured what the more realistic ratios are.
Old     (hunter991)      Join Date: Jul 2016       09-20-2019, 12:19 AM Reply   
Avoid ethanol if you can. It attracts moisture which you don't want in your fuel tank. Especially during storage.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-21-2019, 8:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbigpun66 View Post
My 210 always gets non ethanol fuel only. I am an automotive service manager and understand that 100% gasoline burns more complete and efficiently.
Non ethanol gas is more efficient than ethanol gas. It *might be* that the gasoline burns more efficiently w/ ethanol, but if so then the ethanol must be really inefficient because the net result is less efficient.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-25-2019, 7:52 AM Reply   
It's not just the water but ethanol is so hard on anything rubber. Long term its not great stuff.
Old     (fish6942)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-01-2019, 6:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbigpun66 View Post
As a service manager, you should also understand that ethanol has significantly lower energy density per volume than gasoline.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-01-2019, 10:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish6942 View Post
As a service manager, you should also understand that ethanol has significantly lower energy density per volume than gasoline.
Actually he basically said that. My reply to his post was because I misread it. We all agree that ethanol in the fuel lowers efficiency, or MPG if we were talking about cars. Bottom line is that ethanol in gas has no known benefits except welfare for corn growers.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-08-2019, 6:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
Actually he basically said that. My reply to his post was because I misread it. We all agree that ethanol in the fuel lowers efficiency, or MPG if we were talking about cars. Bottom line is that ethanol in gas has no known benefits except welfare for corn growers.
Funny you say that because the only people I find who like ethanol are my corn growing relatives.

I am guessing that from a price standpoint the lower energy value is made up for by the premium charged for non-ethanol.