Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (SHotz__21)      Join Date: Aug 2016       02-20-2017, 11:32 AM Reply   
Hello everyone.

My buddy is looking to upgrade from his 2003 bayliner 185 to something in this price range. we are beginner wakeboarders and looking to maybe try out surfing (wakeboarding mainly though).

I've done research and this seems like a decent boat for us to progress with.

What do you all think of this boat? things we should watch out for or mechanical parts that go bad etc?

How much weight is the Big Bartha Ballast?

Also, does the price seem fair taking into consideration the stereo, ballast, and vinyl repair?

Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-20-2017, 11:43 AM Reply   
That is the first gen hull mobius/ outback. Had a buddy with one and its just so so. The hull they replaced that with in like 01/02 is deeper and much better for wakesports. The one your talking is still ski specific.

The Bertha system in a direct drive of that era was just one small fat sac under the rear seat. Like 200-300 lbs. They are reliable boats if cared for. I'd double check the engine. Most of those had the carbed 310 hp. The jump to the fuel injection was like $2500 and considering it was a price point boat not many opted that way.

Price seems fair if its clean.
Old     (SHotz__21)      Join Date: Aug 2016       02-20-2017, 12:00 PM Reply   
I'm assuming anything is a step up from our current tow boat lol.

Is there any areas for additional hidden ballast? or would be have to start having sacs all over?
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-20-2017, 12:21 PM Reply   
No where to hide ballast on that. Save your money and look for a newer version, after 2002 if you want something that's going to make a decent wake. That is the old ski hull as the previous poster mentioned. You can easily find a newer LS for that kind of money if not another $1000-2000 more.
Old     (SHotz__21)      Join Date: Aug 2016       02-20-2017, 12:26 PM Reply   
okay, we will keep looking, thanks all!
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-20-2017, 1:20 PM Reply   
That particular hull of moomba is awful. That will be no better than the bayliner 185 wake he has now if you were to add weight to both boats . That would be no upgrade at all
Old     (SHotz__21)      Join Date: Aug 2016       02-20-2017, 1:31 PM Reply   
the general trend from other forums seems to be to stretch the budget a couple thousand and get into an early v drive
Old     (troberts2)      Join Date: Jan 2017       03-23-2017, 7:13 AM Reply   
For what it's worth, My cousin and I just picked up an 07 Mobius LSV for $19,000. Don't rush buying a boat and you'll know the one when you find it!
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       03-23-2017, 12:16 PM Reply   
dude for a couple more thousand you could get into a Vdrive which would be better suited for what you guys wanna do .
Old     (lipslide08)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-11-2017, 5:58 AM Reply   
That was my first boat. I had it for 5 or so years. I really liked the boat and in some ways I liked it more than the mojo I have now. The thing is its got the motor in the center makes it handle a lot better. It's a lot smaller so you can run lower speeds and still have a wake to learn on for beginners. It also because of its smaller size really benefits from an extra fatsac or two. It's easy to up the water displacement because the smaller boat sinks easier. The difference in that boat and a lsv of similar generation is not all that great of difference in my opinion. If the boat is in good shape inside and out and that's your budget I would jump on it and never look back.