Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (powercorps)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-22-2015, 7:20 AM Reply   
My plan over this winter is to purchase a good drone for filming next year. I have an original gopro that I could use with it. I have heard that some people are getting drones that track the rider with a waterproof wrist band. That sounds pretty cool. What is everybody's experiences/recommendations.
Old     (Cyberwarm)      Join Date: Sep 2015       09-22-2015, 9:26 AM Reply   
Phantom is always a good choice. Never heard about wrists. Interested in this as well.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-22-2015, 9:45 AM Reply   
This is the wrist strap one that follow you

https://www.lily.camera/
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-22-2015, 10:49 AM Reply   
My guess is that the lily won't be as good as they are hyping.

First glance shows that it will only do 25mph claimed, and if there is a headwind where you are riding, good luck.

2nd problem is that they are only claiming 20 mins of flight time. Which should work out to about 15-17 minutes real life time. Then you're back to charging it for another 2 hours before you can shoot again. No replaceable battery on this bird.

Also, no real "gimbal", but rather just a digital version. Going to cut down on the usuable area.

The only real benefit to the lily is that it will follow a wristband and is waterproof. Other than that, too many compromises.

If it were my money, I'd spring for a Phantom 3 Advanced, at this point. Integral camera and gimbal. The only real problem is that support is not great, so I've heard.
But it will go much faster, 35 mph, has swappable batteries, etc. NOT waterproof though!
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-22-2015, 11:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by getssum View Post
My guess is that the lily won't be as good as they are hyping.

First glance shows that it will only do 25mph claimed, and if there is a headwind where you are riding, good luck.

2nd problem is that they are only claiming 20 mins of flight time. Which should work out to about 15-17 minutes real life time. Then you're back to charging it for another 2 hours before you can shoot again. No replaceable battery on this bird.

Also, no real "gimbal", but rather just a digital version. Going to cut down on the usuable area.

The only real benefit to the lily is that it will follow a wristband and is waterproof. Other than that, too many compromises.

If it were my money, I'd spring for a Phantom 3 Advanced, at this point. Integral camera and gimbal. The only real problem is that support is not great, so I've heard.
But it will go much faster, 35 mph, has swappable batteries, etc. NOT waterproof though!
I agree with all point made. I think the people who all jumped in on the hype and pre-ordered are going to be somewhat disappointed.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-22-2015, 1:56 PM Reply   
I have a phantom 3 advanced and it is awesome. Wouldnt even consider buying a drone and putting a GoPro on it now. These vision cameras are the way to go, save your GoPro and use it as a alternative view.
Old     (ecore)      Join Date: Jul 2014       09-22-2015, 2:59 PM Reply   
Air dog is what you need if they ever release the product. I have had mine on pre order for about a year now. Follows a wrist band like the lily but goes 40 mph
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-22-2015, 4:53 PM Reply   
Air dog sounds great, but I'm getting sick of the Kickstarter projects that over promise and under deliver, especially on timelines.

Look at all the people who bought the "Coolest" cooler, and haven't received squat yet. That product was sold in 2014!
Old     (powercorps)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-23-2015, 7:13 AM Reply   
Seems like the wrist thing may not be a feasible reality yet. Any good ones that can be controlled from the boat?
Old     (LYNRDSKYNRD)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-23-2015, 7:22 AM Reply   
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...sion_plus.html

Price dropped on the 2 since the 3 was released.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-23-2015, 11:55 AM Reply   
Look at this also - very nice model with all your need
http://www.amazon.com/Blade-Chroma-C.../dp/B00YTC03NY