Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-06-2013, 1:03 PM Reply   
Neighbor on the lake just picked up a 99 Prostar 205. IT's Red and white very similar to my 2000. He asked me a question and I really didn't know the answer to........so here I am

He recently took it to a detail shop to have it buffed and all cleaned up. The detail shop mentioned his red gelcoat above the transom was very thin and was the reason they couldn't really get the oxidation off very well. They mentioned that the red layer is only a thin top coat and that its actually a white base on there and that is whats giving the "oxidation" look. The red has been buffed so much that the white is basically starting to show through. I always thought the gelcoat color went straight through to the glass. Anybody have any info?

If that is the case what are his options to get that polished up, an entire new gelcoat job, paint?
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       06-06-2013, 1:12 PM Reply   
quick fix - wrap that portion...should be relatively cheap for a small area.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       06-06-2013, 1:29 PM Reply   
Considering that it would actually be more complicated for MC to have sprayed it that way, and the fact that it would have 0 benefit,, I would say that the detail shop has no clue what they are talking about.... I couldn't say for sure though.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-07-2013, 12:59 PM Reply   
So fwiw

Spoke with someone at the factory. They do just do a thin portion of color followed up by a base in this case white. So it is possible to "burn through" a color so to speak. Kind of sucks for him but it is what it is. Wrap possibly but in a classic like that maybe not the best. I can be re gel'd but will cost pretty penny for work. Ateast it's only his transom. The rest of boat looks flawless.