Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (fur_252)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-03-2013, 10:42 AM Reply   
Thinking about buying a 1998 ski challenger but the owner said the steering is getting tight thought it was steering cable...how hard is it to replace the cable?? Why I'm asking is I was quoted by 3 different boat shops from $500 to $700 range to replace the cable. Also how do I know it's nothen in the the ruter?
Old    sperbet            05-03-2013, 11:21 AM Reply   
It's most likely the steering cable. $500-$700 sounds about right at a shop. The cable itself usually runs around $150 and you can do it yourself in a few hours. It's not that hard of a project just takes a little time.
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       05-03-2013, 11:26 AM Reply   
I have a DD too and it only takes an hour or 2. If you have a compartment door to the bilge behind the engine, you should be good to go. I would definitely do it yourself instead of pay 5-700 bucks!! It'll be like driving a new boat with a new steering cable. My ol lady could barely drive our boat the other week because the steering cable was so stiff, I put a new one in and its one finger steering. I never thought it'd be possible in that boat. Definitely a must!!
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-03-2013, 4:41 PM Reply   
I bought one of those brand new in 99(hold over 98 was the last year). The steering cable is probably the least of your worries. Pm me if you want details, but bottom line is that boat is a BAYLINER and the quality is that of a Bayliner. Mine literally fell apart piece by piece and would have sunk if I let it.