Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Marlinman)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-26-2011, 9:10 PM Reply   
I just purchased a lake house on a small lake on a damed up portion of the Gudalpue river. I grew up skiing but have not owned a ski boat since the late 90's and allot has changed. I have 4 kids ranging from 5 to 11 and all we have done since getting the house is tubed, hydro slide, and some skiing. I am looking for the best all around boat for the above and I am sure some future wake boarding and surfing. I like the layout of the MC x25 but I think it maybe to big for the lake since there are none on the lake. I have not tested any boats yet but I plan on it once I get some help with a list. I would like to get a 2012 so chances are it will be ready to go when we are, and budgets are always important but I think I am comfortable with most of the boats in this class range.

The best i can tell the most popular boats on the lake are 21' wake setter, super air's and then X1 & X2 in that order. Lake McQuenny is between San Antonio and Austin so most manufactures have good representation in the area.

I know this is a hardcore wake boarding site so please don't be offended by my lack of wake boarding talent, I am just a father trying to make the rite decision for my kds.

Thanks for the help...
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-27-2011, 7:40 AM Reply   
Is there a size limitation on your lake?
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       09-27-2011, 7:55 AM Reply   
If there is no length restriction on your lake I would look in the 22-23ft range since you have a pretty good size family. As they continue to get older they are going to want to bring friends along and that is going to make for a pretty crowded 21ft boat. If you are comfortable in the price range of the X25 then you have pretty much endless options.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-27-2011, 8:47 AM Reply   
A boat like an X25 will not be much fun skiing behing.. The same sentiment applies to most of the HARDCORE type wakeboard boats (X Star, Natique 210/230, Supa SSV, Axis A22, etc)

You've be better off with a lighter type crossover boat. A lot of people are happy with the crossover functionality of the Centurions, Moomba Outback and MasterCraft 215. Most manufacturers have boats that will do a lot of things well and nothing great. Sounds like that would be the best bet for your family.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-27-2011, 9:35 AM Reply   
A bigger boat might be nice but if you likve on a small lake maybe it isn't that important to have everybody out on the boat at the same time. You may also want something that turns a little tighter and is easier to manuever. It sounds like you don't need the craziest best wakeboard wake and jsut need a good all around boat. I have a feeling once you get a vdrive and get out you are going to see your kids are a lot more into surfing, wakeboarding and tubing then skiing. I probably wouldn't worry about the ski wake at all as none of the Vdrives(for the most part) are going to be good ski boats. Something you might check out is the MB 21' tomcat, 21 team wide body or 23' team wide body. You will get a lot of boat for a lot less then anything MAstercraft, Malibu or Nautique. I think there is an MB dealer in Texas know and he has posted on this site. It looks like Texas Mastercraft in Fort Worth is the MB dealer. A drive for sure but you will spend a lot less on a very nice boat. The ballast is super easy and quick, they are huge inside for the length and are just great all around boats from what people have said on wakeworld. I would check them out for sure. That being said, The MAstercraft X2, X15, X25, nautique 210, Malibu VTX or VLX would be great options to and they are a premium boat. They definately get a premium for them though. Other boats to check out would be the Supra 21V and 22SSV, Moomba 21LSV and XLV, Centurion ENZO 211 or 233 or Avalanche. It doesn't sound like money is a big concern. I would get out and try every boat you can and see what you like and dislike about each boat. Also see what dealer's you are comfortable with. Soemtimes the dealer can be the difference between a great and terrible experience.

Just something else to think about. If you do want to have a nice ski boat seriously consider 2 boats. I don't see why more people(assuming they have the room) don't do this. You could get a new MB for 50-60 and a 91-94 mastercraft prostar for 10. You would probably be 10-20k less then any mastercraft you can get and actually have a good ski boat. Those older ski boats are so simple and easy to maintain their shouldn't be alot of maintance cost associated with them every year.
Old     (davenk)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-27-2011, 11:03 AM Reply   
Don't forget to take a look at the Tige's and they are made right here in Texas in Abilene. You can check out Texas Tige (texastige.com) north of Houston. They are real good! I am not sure of any Tige dealers in the Austin area though.
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       09-27-2011, 11:09 AM Reply   
If you are more of a skier, then look at the X-14v or the next step would be a X-15. The 14v is the biggest V drive ever certified for record tournaments by USA Waterski and the X-15 is more surfing, wakeboarding and bigger, but is very slalomable with the attitude plate.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       09-27-2011, 12:08 PM Reply   
what about the nautique sport 200, or the sport 226. They are suppose to be good crossovers with the best of both worlds.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-27-2011, 1:31 PM Reply   
Texas Ski Ranch [Mastercraft]is in New Braunfels and there is a Tige dealer in AUSTIN also.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-27-2011, 5:19 PM Reply   
The Tige dealer is The Ski Dock in Austin.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-27-2011, 6:23 PM Reply   
Test drive as many brands as you can. That being said when it comes to crossover boats. Tige is at the top of the list IMPO. Yes I am a Tige owner..but I also work on these boats every day. I have driven just about every brand out there. I always like to check out the wakes and compare the corssover capability. The Tige R20 (20ft) RZR (20ft) Z1 (21ft) and RZ2 (22ft) are some great boats that fit your criteria. Again drive as many as you can and good luck in your search.
Old     (Marlinman)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-27-2011, 8:31 PM Reply   
Guys thanks for the info I plan on looking at the Tige tomorrow and the Malibu dealer just got the new MKZ so I hope to see it as well. Keep the advice coming.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-01-2011, 12:42 AM Reply   
Tate, I went into buying a boat with similar issues. I like wakeboarding, but all things being equal, I'm never going to be doing rolls, flips, etc. My main issue was to buy an all around family boat that will allow wakeboarding, skiing, tubing, hanging out, relaxing on the beaches, and most importantly allow as many people to comfortably enjoy their time on the boat as possible.

I brought a tape measure to several boat shows and measured the interior sitting space of damn near all wakeboarding boats on the market today. Off of the cuff anyone would think a 23 foot boat would have a bigger interior than a 21 foot boat, bu that's not true! The interior of a 21 foot Sanger was bigger than many 23 foot competitors!

I measured every aspect. seatback to seatback, forward to rear, foot placing to foot placing, side to side, angle of seats, rear bench to driver's seat back, bow traingle dimensions, etc.

In 2007 I determined the Malibu LSV had more interior sitting space than all other 23 foot boats. The MB was second. The MC was by far the last (not hating on MC, but they just had the strangest lack of interior room compared to every other 23 footer).

Since then, I cannot imagine being more pleased with my purchase. My Extreme trailer on the other hand...

For the life of me I remember measuring the Tige, but don't remember where it ranked. Because of that I'm sure it was in the average middle area.

Good luck, and bring a tape measure!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-01-2011, 5:29 AM Reply   
A pickle fork 22 foot boat will generally have as much seating room as most 23' boats.
Old     (spf2275)      Join Date: Mar 2011       10-01-2011, 5:37 AM Reply   
X-15 or the new nautique 200. You are welcome to email me regarding the X-15. If you are considering a Mastercraft put a post on Mastercraft Team Talk. All kinds of good info there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old     (Kingsriver)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-02-2011, 12:17 PM Reply   
I have been looking for the same kind of boat and at this point I am looking between MB and Malibu. The Malibu has. A much flayed hull and we boat on Shave lake 5k feet and Pine Flat 1k feet. Both lakes have a far amount of chop. What boat will ride better in chop? MB hull seems to have. A deeper v hull. The cost difference is a fair amount and is the Malibu worth the extra 15k?