Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-08-2010, 7:42 AM Reply   
Pictures should be pretty self explanatory. What is the best way to fix a cracked block?
Attached Images

Old     (stu929)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-08-2010, 7:44 AM Reply   
What motor is it?
Old     (jason_b)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-08-2010, 8:04 AM Reply   
Best way to fix a cracked block is to befriend Lon and ask Bigg Baller for a loan that you have no intention of paying back, or just ask to use his boat.

J/k, pics didn't work, but I have heard of engine shops welding blocks depending on the damage.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       07-08-2010, 8:05 AM Reply   
We threw a rod through the block on a moomba outback back in college. Looked like someone had shot it with a .45. Obviously the damage was a lot worse than your crack but we had to get the block replaced. Hopefully you can get yours repaired.
Old     (chasenm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-08-2010, 8:13 AM Reply   
Take it to a machine shop and they will check it out there, if it is cracked it will need to be replaced. What motor is it, is the head aluminum? If it isn't aluminum a new head isn't too expensive. Just did mine on my Ford 351 motor
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-08-2010, 8:14 AM Reply   
I had a crack about that big in a honda I owned.. I put some bars - stop leak in it. It held for 5 years untill I traded it in.

Permanent fix is a new block.
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-08-2010, 8:16 AM Reply   
Its a Ford 351 on a 1982 Ski Nautique. Cast Iron Block. I took it to a machine shop, and they have told me there are actually 3 cracks in the block. He wants around 300 to repair all 3 cracks. Is this a good deal or a rip-off?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-08-2010, 8:26 AM Reply   
The problem is that if there are three cracks in the block that you can see now there are probably others.
It is likely that there are cracks which will put water into your oil. You can use JB Weld to patch the crack, but (speaking from experience) you just want a new block. Right now all the other parts are good. After you run it with water in the oil, they won't be.
If you are going to do an epoxy patch like JB Weld you clean the area with a degreaser and then a wire wheel.
Old     (chasenm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-08-2010, 8:43 AM Reply   
I don't think 300 is a terrible deal but like Art said if it has 3 cracks then most likely there are other issues as well. Change the oil right away, probably plugs as well. I right way to fix it would be to get a new block, anything else will be a temporary fix in my opinion.
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-08-2010, 8:44 AM Reply   
Water in my oil was the reason that I went digging looking for the cause. JB Weld would be a really cheap fix, but somehow I see that possibly causing even more problems.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-08-2010, 10:27 AM Reply   
It is a little more tricky if you are getting water in oil. If they were extermal cracks where the main danger would be flooding your bilge, it would be a no-brainer to use some bubble gum type patch or weld. I have ridden around it boats with patched external blocks for many years. With a boat that old I would be tempted to weld it and hope for the best and keep a close eye on oil and make sure your bilge pump always works. A new block is the only fail safe repair but it can be spendy and not sure I would throw a lot of money at a boat more than 20 years old. $300 seems reasonable.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-08-2010, 10:27 AM Reply   
JB weld prolly wont' hold up under the heat of the block. I know it won't on a car engine. Is the crack all the way thru to where water is leaking into the oil or just on the outside, water leaking out?

sounds liek your better off just buying a new block.
Old    SamIngram            07-08-2010, 10:34 AM Reply   
Just get a short block from a rebuilder. Fixing a crack in a block is like voodoo.... Just stay away from it!
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       07-08-2010, 12:03 PM Reply   
351 windsors are cheap. I sold one a while back for $100, and scrapped a few thousand pounds worth of them because no one wanted to buy them. Just pick up a new engine, preferably in running condition and go through it. If your heads are good that's one less thing to worry about. You could get by for probably $500+cost of engine to do a re-ring and new bearings, or about $1500-$2000 to do a complete rebuild.

Do not try to repair. It's hit or miss at best, and if it froze you likely have other cracks. Just not worth spending $300 on a "maybe" fix when you can get a complete engine for less than that. Also, I recommending avoiding buying a rebuilder short block. I've torn several down and they are a nightmare. I wouldn't want one in my car, much less my boat. Mismatched rods, pistons installed backwards, not bored on all cylinders, rods installed backwards. They cut costs at every corner.
Old    SamIngram            07-08-2010, 12:23 PM Reply   
Well duh!! You have to buy the short block from a reputable engine shop, not some guy missing his front teeth and wearing bibs and no shirt...
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-09-2010, 5:26 AM Reply   
Sam, Cory gave some very valuable advise. It might seem like common sense to you and me, but I'd be willing to bet that there are a lot of people on here that see the price tag on a Autozone rebuild and think it's a great deal. Most people have no idea what goes into building a reliable engine.
Old     (stu929)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-09-2010, 6:03 AM Reply   
i know we are talking ford not chevy but I know that chevy was selling brand new 350's with warranty for car only for like 1289 not that long ago and that was a long block ready to go....def better piece of mind then having someone try to patch up a block.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-09-2010, 8:19 AM Reply   
Find a boat salvage yard, there are plenty around, you just have to really dig. I agree to just replace the long block. If you work on it after work daily you should be back in the water in 1 wk.

I used to be scared of domestic (tried and true) engines, but I prefer them over the imports now any day.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-09-2010, 8:40 AM Reply   
Replaceing the block is the only true fix. Your rebuild costs are going to be the same whether you try to fix the current block or start with a new one (motor has to be completely disassembled and then reassembled either way) Remember that your motor is a Reverse Rotation engine. You can not just buy an automotive short block as a repalcement. Get a new block, have it machined, match new pistons to the cylinder bores, and reuse your cam, crank, rods, intake and heads.