Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-16-2009, 3:25 PM Reply   
I just got an old 22' sail boat and will have to moore it in front of my dock. There is not much room next to my short pier and it is too shallow there anyway. I ordered one of those anchor buddy bungee type anchor lines and will set an anchor more or less permanently 30 or so feet in front of my dock to anchor the bow of the boat and will keep a stern line tied to the dock so I can pull it in to get on the boat.

What would be the best anchor for a more or less permanent set up? I was thinking of a 5 gallon bucket filled with concrete, but not sure if that will hold. There are tons of anchors options out there and not sure what would be best for a more permanent anchor.

Also are there any tricks to using these anchor buddies?

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/368159/
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-16-2009, 3:50 PM Reply   
For a boat that size you need an anchor of over 200#. It's better if there is steel in it as the concrete is not nearly as dense. Use a heavy chain attached to the anchor and then a lighter chain to come up from the bottom. Set a buoy on it so it's easy to attach to.
An engine block or wheel sprocket from a Cat is a better shape than a round bucket. If you get big storms you'll need more weight.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       11-16-2009, 4:14 PM Reply   
An anchor buddy bungee is going to allow too much slack for how you want to use it -- wind will send the boat right back into shore. You might consider installing a pully system between the underwater anchor and another constant point on shore... then move the boat out manually or with a crank.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-16-2009, 4:31 PM Reply   
We made permanent anchors for our dock system using old car tires. Lay the tire flat on flat ground, and fill them up with mixed concrete (with the ground as your bottom). Once they start to setup, insert a section of re-bar that you bent into a loop. Then a section of chain on the re-bar loop. Let it setup for a few days & the thing will weigh about 200 or 300 lbs. Eight of them have been holding our dock with 15 boat slips for about 5 yrs now. We roll them up on a section of the dock, then float it out to where it will sit & push it over. Then just tie a float to it in the winter when we pull the dock out.

Rather than the Anchor Buddy, I think I'd use one of those black rubber things in a good rope. Would be way stronger.

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on November 16, 2009)
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-17-2009, 7:57 AM Reply   
Thanks. The cave man wheel (cement tire) and pulley system are ideas I'm not sure I would have thought of and I have already researched implementing them. Now to find a galvanized pulley block.
Old     (ncollins)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-17-2009, 11:02 AM Reply   
You should try looking at the anchor section on BoatNJetski.com. Here is the link: http://www.georgiawatersports.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=2521

They have a ton of anchors and accessories at the best prices.
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-17-2009, 11:32 AM Reply   
Don't use an anchor buddy. They are designed for temporary day use only.

Really, anchor it solid, and get a dingy to get out there like everyone else. Not worth the complexity of a pulley system in my book. Also, even if you can get it to the dock with the pulley, good luck being able to get on/off it easily with that system.
Old     (family_deckhand)      Join Date: May 2008       11-18-2009, 11:21 AM Reply   
I'll jump on and say don't use the anchor buddy for a perm mooring line or anything that stretches. Fill up some tires with concrete hook'em together with galvanized chain and run the chain to the surface. From there you can use some rope to attach a bouy and to your boat.