Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (302_Rider)      Join Date: Oct 2015       06-06-2017, 6:21 PM Reply   
I am currently in the market for a new pair of open toe bindings. I currently ride hyperlite team OT bindings (3rd pair) which I really like but they don't seem to stand up to the abuse. I have a pair of liquid force b1 bindings I rode for a season but never stepped foot in again after the hyperlite teams. After a few conversations with my local dealer and hyperlite rep they convinced me to try a pair of hyperlite team x boot which in my opinion felt absolutely terrible I pulled them off after the first run. I never felt like they held my foot very securely and found my right foot constantly riding the toe. The stiffness of the binding was a little excessive for my liking but being as it was a brand new boot I can't say i hold it against it yet. All in all after a few passes I found the boot extremely uncomfortable and put my open toes back on. I have tried the liquid force Harley's a couple years ago and disliked the weight and bulkiness of the boot, again I never got the secure feeling. A friend of mine recently purchased the cwb dowdy board and bindings and those feel great compared to the others, however I feel like the close toe game is over rated personally and just want to find an open toe boot that is designed on performance and built to last. I am an intermediate rider with about 5-6 inverts a few rotations and a lot of board time. Wakeboard shops are not really a thing in my area unfortunately so it's tough to try anything on before purchase. Thanks in advance for any input.

-Dan
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-07-2017, 3:22 AM Reply   
I recommend slingshot.

They're not made in the wakeboard boot factory with all the other brands, they're made in a snowboard boot factory. They feel like snowboard boots as a result.

The options are open toe rad's. Give those a whirl
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-07-2017, 1:03 PM Reply   
For years now, companies have viewed the open toe market as a beginner / casual rider boot only.
IMHO Ronix make the best boat bindings (I ride slingshot shredtown at the cable), I find them much more comfy compared to LF or CWB and last a lot longer than Hyperlite. I've never tried o'brien but I've heard good things.

Why the insistence on OT? There is a reason why every high end boot is ct these days. Each to their own though.
Old     (302_Rider)      Join Date: Oct 2015       06-07-2017, 6:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane View Post
For years now, companies have viewed the open toe market as a beginner / casual rider boot only.

IMHO Ronix make the best boat bindings (I ride slingshot shredtown at the cable), I find them much more comfy compared to LF or CWB and last a lot longer than Hyperlite. I've never tried o'brien but I've heard good things.

Why the insistence on OT? There is a reason why every high end boot is ct these days. Each to their own though.

I understand and appreciate the closed toe market however it's just not for me. I haven't tried a ton of closed toe but the stuff I have I can't say I liked much about it. I started out late 90s as a kid when closed toe wasn't around so I guess it's just my comfort. I don't think it really makes much difference in my opinion the closed vs the open toe.. I guarantee you put any pro out there in a quality open toe binding that they can perform just as well. I think it comes down to preference and comfort. I am willing to try any binding but I don't have many options unless I pick one off an internet site and hope for the best. based on my experience I would be more likely to find comfort with some breathing room. So I see ronix has an open toe binding. Any experience with it?
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       06-07-2017, 6:51 PM Reply   
I was very resistant to CT boots when they first came out too - Particularly as they felt heavy and waterlogged all the time. I hope you do find a pair that suit - it is annoying that there are no "higher end" boots made with OT. I ended up giving Doubleup a go and haven't looked back. I guess the answer is going to be try and see what sticks.
Old     (willyt)      Join Date: May 2010       06-08-2017, 12:25 PM Reply   
Wow... is this 2004?

If you haven't found a pair of CT boots you like you haven't been trying hard enough. Any new boot is going to be very stiff the first time you put it on, they have to wear in. I typically stand in a hot bath with them for awhile to form-fit them.

Try some Hyperlite systems... seriously, OT is a thing of the past
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-09-2017, 10:26 AM Reply   
I rode LF Vantage OT bindings up until a couple months ago when I picked two pair of the Mike Dowdy binding. I see no advantage to OT bindings at all. Maybe fit is easier since your toes can't hit the end. But that's about it.
Old     (302_Rider)      Join Date: Oct 2015       06-09-2017, 2:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
I rode LF Vantage OT bindings up until a couple months ago when I picked two pair of the Mike Dowdy binding. I see no advantage to OT bindings at all. Maybe fit is easier since your toes can't hit the end. But that's about it.

Your correct I don't think there is an advantage to riding OT.. I can't really say there is an advantage to close toe either. Fit is way more comfy in an open toe based on my experience and my preference. Mike dowdys boots are nice I like them the most out of any closed toe boot, but back to my original post I'm just looking for a solid open toe binding. And for the person who posted before you about the systems I think that is way too complicated for boat riding. I just want to strap on my board and jump in the water. If I was a cable rider where i has to walk all the way back from turn 2 I may consider systems or another 2 piece setup but I ride boat only. I'm not here for an OT vs CL argument i am looking for some insight on brands that are not readily available in my area (anything but hyperlite)

Thanks
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       06-10-2017, 9:39 PM Reply   
Hey Dan,

You might want to consider the OBrien Plan B's (3 velcro straps) or the Links (2 laces). Both are based off of the CT models (GTX & Nomads). I rode laces for many years but switched to the Velcro straps a few years back & love them!

From what you described, you want easy & simple, but quality performance. The Plan B's would be right up your alley!

Here's the weblink, the bindings are at the bottom of the wakeboards page.
Old     (302_Rider)      Join Date: Oct 2015       06-11-2017, 4:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_shima1 View Post
Hey Dan,

You might want to consider the OBrien Plan B's (3 velcro straps) or the Links (2 laces). Both are based off of the CT models (GTX & Nomads). I rode laces for many years but switched to the Velcro straps a few years back & love them!

From what you described, you want easy & simple, but quality performance. The Plan B's would be right up your alley!

Here's the weblink, the bindings are at the bottom of the wakeboards page.

Thank you! This is the exact kind of response I was looking for. I completely forgot about obrien and will be sure to give them a look when making my decision
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       06-11-2017, 7:40 PM Reply   
You're welcome, Dan! And best of luck in your search!
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       06-14-2017, 7:37 AM Reply   
I think closed toe bindings are over rated and only ride open toe in the winter which these days is almost never. I ride them mainly due to my giant toes (broken several times on each side) being different sizes which leaves lots of extra room inside for my feet to slide around.

IMO closed toe are inferior unless there is a boot that forms to your foot perfectly. My thought process....... the extra room that does not allow the binding to hold the part of your foot where your toes start in CT is less secure which is essential to getting hold down.
Sure, your toes cannot slide forward and through the boot like in the old days but that stopped when they started making better bindings.
IMO the only disadvantage is not having AS MUCH leverage pushing your toes up to switch heelside more quickly. switching to HS? This isn't a problem for ANYONE.

Best OT boots ever? IMO, the original 3 years of the Watsons. My favorite is 08 and 09 Watsons which I still search out and still ride. (I have like 4 or 5 pairs, lol)
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       06-14-2017, 7:55 AM Reply   
I do need to check out a few newer bindings though so thanks for the heads up on the Obrien PlanB's Ryan.
My second favorites besides the Watson OT were the old Obrien Xenon's which were the most comfortable I have ever worn.