Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Silverbullet555)      Join Date: May 2010       07-06-2010, 10:56 PM Reply   
I'm getting ready to build the box for the final pieces of our install and am trying to decide on the type of box. The sub is a WS XS-12 and the amp is an Alpine PDX-m6. It is going in the drivers side console. At the top of the console, behind the gauges is a 140 sq inch opening,

I do use this area for storage of life vests. I was planning on building a sealed enclosure based on my conversations with Tim over at Wetsounds.

What I can't decide is if I should do a down firing or side firing. I even thought about making an extension of the box to direct the sound out of the opening.

I really don't want to build multiple boxes so I am trying to figure it out now.

I am trying to resist cutting a hole for the speaker so I want to try other options first. In the end, if I am just not satisfied I will cut the hole and put a speaker grill over it.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-07-2010, 7:39 AM Reply   
Side firing to the hull will probably be a better option. To down fire the sub you'll need to space it off the floor at least 1/2 the diameter of the sub, do you have the space for that? Side firing always seems to give the perception of more bass, not sure if that's really the case though.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       07-07-2010, 9:45 AM Reply   
I am with Nu Bu go with side firing. I have down firing subs under the backseat of my truck and I don't like the way they sound and will be replacing the box soon with one that goes behind the seat.
Old     (Silverbullet555)      Join Date: May 2010       07-07-2010, 2:15 PM Reply   
The nice thing about side firing is I can rotate the sub easily if I cut a hole in that compartment.

Are there any concerns with flexing the hull and causing cracks from the flexing which could be made worse with side firing?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-07-2010, 2:41 PM Reply   
You aren't going to make that happen with that sub and amp combo.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-07-2010, 8:12 PM Reply   
Try the side-firing scheme as you'll benefit from the boundary loading of the under-helm cavity for an increase in low bass gain but a slight filtering effect in the midbass and transients as compared to the opposite results of a direct-radiating orientation. It helps if the cavity is sealed off from the space that leads into the bow coaming. Also try forward aiming at the bow as you may detect a slight difference in the lowbass. Its important that the sub pathway is unobstructed, particularly over the top of the kick panel or facade. Don't care for either up-firing or down-firing. Tuning will have a big impact.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (h2oskier14)      Join Date: May 2009       07-07-2010, 8:17 PM Reply   
I did the side firing with my XS-12 and love it

Old     (Silverbullet555)      Join Date: May 2010       07-08-2010, 9:00 AM Reply   
I should have been more clear. When I daid side firing I meant at the side of the boat inside the cavity. Trying not to cut some more holes in the fiberglass. I'm going to build the box in such a way that I can keep the console enclosed for now. If I don't like it I will be able to rotate the box to cut a hole at my feet or cut a hole into the walkway area.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       07-08-2010, 9:22 AM Reply   
If you fire it into the side of the boat you will be happy.
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-09-2010, 10:01 AM Reply   
side fire hand down better output, makes a big difference when running low powered subs (under 500 watts). Plus once the boat is in the water the preasure against the hull intensifies the bass response.
Old     (Silverbullet555)      Join Date: May 2010       07-09-2010, 8:38 PM Reply   
I'm going to start with it into the side of the hull and see how I like it.