Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-07-2010, 8:13 PM Reply   
After tying up with my cousin's boat this weekend out at Mandeville, I came to the realization that I did not have the correct anchor or ground tackle to do this correctly. We were able to manage due largely in part to my cousin's ingenuity. I have a setup for lake to shore use.

1 grapnel anchor
1 boat anchor buddy
Rope
Large stake for shore

We did this type of boating for the first 2 to 3 years. Fast forward to now (10yrs later) we are doing 99% of boating in the Delta. Every time I threw out the grapnel it would not grab very well since it did not have the correct rode. So I have read some anchor threads here on WW and now have some questions of my own. Please bear with me.

Boat is a F21 (21' boat)

1. Danforth anchor or box anchor in the delta
2. 1/2" or 3/'8" line?
3. If danforth what scope is "safe" 5:1 or 7:1

I just got a segmented mushroom anchor to put on the stern of the boat. I like the pluses of the box anchor:

2:1 scope
No chain
Compact foldaway design

On the flipside, I saw everyone in a big boat this past weekend using a danforth. Do I go with a Fortress version or something less expensive. I will need to get correct rode for the grapnel. I will need rope, chain, bag, eyelet, and maybe a snubber.

Comment please.

Mario-
Old     (adam4x4)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-07-2010, 8:39 PM Reply   
M.
I just use my samll box with a anchor buddy well whaching the fire works. It work great for me. o\Other boats where moving around me. When we pulled the anchor up it was full of weeds and mudd.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-08-2010, 5:03 AM Reply   
Box anchors work great but cost around 200. I use two danforth anchors 1 in front and 1 in back.
I got then at bass pro shop for $14 each.
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-08-2010, 7:09 AM Reply   
I just traded in my danforth on a small box anchor. WOW!!! I can't believe how well this thing holds compared to the danforth. You can pick up the small box anchor for about $140 at West Marine. The bag that comes with it is great too- plenty of room for 100+ feet of line in the bag with the anchor.
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-08-2010, 10:00 AM Reply   
We boat in the Delta 99% as well, I have found nothing that works better then the mushroom anchors. I have a 24# and 11# hooked together, it holds 3 boats with tides and wind with no issues at all. I use this set up everywhere I so and it has never failed me.

Johnny
Liquid Trends

Last edited by johnny_jr; 07-08-2010 at 10:01 AM. Reason: spelling