Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-08-2009, 6:17 PM Reply   
My boat has a crap thirteen year old stero. The head unit is mounted in the passenger dash. It has the whole water proof housing. I want to upgrade the head unit to one with ipod and sat radio. I have looked at alpine and sony marine grade units. Does the marine grade stuff do any better on the water? Can the larger lcd screens be seen on sunny days? What head units do you all suggest and use?
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-08-2009, 6:33 PM Reply   
I would highly recommend the Alpine Marine Series not so much for the marine aspect but for the ability to add the Remote Commander MC-10. If you get Satellite Radio this has the best display I have seen.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-09-2009, 8:34 AM Reply   
I second Packrat. I have Alpine iDA-X100M and Alpine MC10. They both work great with my Satellite Radio and iPod/iPhone. The HU has a 2" screen that is easy to see in direct sun light. The MC 10 wireless remote controls the entire system and provides data through a 1 line screen.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-09-2009, 10:54 AM Reply   
Just installed the Alpine in my glove box and the wireless remote at the helm. Seems to be the best remote display available.

You did well if your unit survived 13 years. I cannot seem to do better than 3 to 4 years.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-09-2009, 10:57 AM Reply   
Honestly what I usually find is best is a cheap cheap cheap one from walmart...

they last years (our last 2 both lasted ~3 years)
except one that died right away but Walmart doesn't give a they replaced it no questions asked...

We've been running a Dual - something-or-another for like 2 years and the thing has been SOAKED and it still runs like dream.

marine ones are nice but honestly when I could buy 3/4 cheapies for the price of one marine one it just seems the way to go
Old     (johnny_gatsby)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-09-2009, 11:08 AM Reply   
I am interested in the Alpine IDA110M--I saw on a website review that it wasn't compatible with some of the older Ipods--I think I have a 2nd generation nano -(I can't remember)--I know Ipods are pretty cheap but I would prefer to have one that works with my current Ipod.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-09-2009, 11:16 AM Reply   
I too may be in the market for a new head unit, but I don't want to spend $800 for the two. Any thing good a bit cheaper?
Old     (thesack)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-09-2009, 1:14 PM Reply   
I would go with Alpine over Sony any day. Whether you get the Marine Grade deck or not really depends on if you want to add the transom remotes. The new transom remotes will only work with the Marine Grade decks. So if you are not interested in adding the transom remotes save your self a few bucks and buy the iDA-X305.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-09-2009, 1:26 PM Reply   
You many want to confirm but check on compatibility of the deck and remote that you choose.
Old     (carlosdynamicaudiolodi)      Join Date: Aug 2009       11-09-2009, 4:34 PM Reply   
Have you guys checked out Kenwood? http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/Marine/KMR-700U
Pretty cool deck and you can hook up optional RC-107MR Display Remote (Can Connect Up To Three)
It doesn't have a cd drive. behind the face plate is a cubby and 30 pin iPod connector. Works great for boats whose deck is exposed/
Old     (sandm)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-09-2009, 7:24 PM Reply   
thinking that kenwood is going in mine this winter. pretty sweet deck and around 2 bills on the internet..
Old     (carlosdynamicaudiolodi)      Join Date: Aug 2009       11-09-2009, 7:47 PM Reply   
The external remotes look like small displays found on the unit itself, too bad Kenwood.com does not have pics. And you can hook up to 3.
Old     (chucktronics)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-09-2009, 9:26 PM Reply   
ColoradoWakeAlliance (epic1)-
Are you looking to keep the unit in the marine kit/waterproof housing? if so the alpine should still fit as the kenwood would not.

Big Nate (thesack) -
second big nate on the sony.If you have the choice to purchase something I would stay away from sony as they tend to use a 2 volt signal system at best.

The alpine remote uses the same cutout as factory installed clarion remote ,just has a bigger bezel . When installing you only have to run ignition and ground to them as there are no wires that need to go to the deck. Upon the first installation of the transceiver , only programming is necessary to add an additional remote. At this point you have switched to RF and can also add RTF (http://remotesthatfloat.com/zencart)if desired with a quick plug- in

Here are comparative remote pics Kenwood vs. alpine

Upload Upload
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-09-2009, 9:42 PM Reply   
Most alpine decks are also 2v. I never really understood how much better a 4v was?
Old     (chucktronics)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-09-2009, 9:54 PM Reply   
True- however methods of measuring are vastly different as seen in amplifier power rating RMS,Peak,CEA ,etc.........

With higher voltage you will have less possible noise in your signal and better performance from you amplifiers ,most amplifiers accept anywhere from 4 to 8 volts as a max (pending brand).
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-09-2009, 9:57 PM Reply   
thanks guys. Yeah I am thinking of keeping it in the housing. Not interested in remotes. Not even really interested in tower speakers. I will add speakers to what exists (2). Wanted to power the boat speakers four 6x9's and upgrade the two 4" that exist. I I go with 6x9's with the horn tweeters will that be clear enough or should I think about some dedicated tweets? I listen to alot of rock, so bass is not as important at this point.
some day I will add an amp(s) sub(s) and tower speakers.
Old     (carlosdynamicaudiolodi)      Join Date: Aug 2009       11-09-2009, 10:37 PM Reply   
Ryan, where did you find the pic of kenwood remote? guess I didn't look hard enough. On my screen it looks like the actual size. Ryan, I got the new iMac 21.5"