Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (sswright127)      Join Date: Aug 2016       08-15-2016, 3:12 PM Reply   
Anyone know the size/type of steering cable needed for a 2005 Calabria Pro V?
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-15-2016, 3:41 PM Reply   
I THINK the Pro-v uses a 17' cable but don't hold me to it. Get under your helm and see where it attaches. Usually the part number is stamped into it every so often.

Typically the cable is made by teleflex.
Old     (sswright127)      Join Date: Aug 2016       08-15-2016, 4:06 PM Reply   
Thanks, I'm going to do some more digging and see if I can find the number. Just bought the boat and it's definitely way harder to turn than it should be.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       08-15-2016, 5:08 PM Reply   
I need to do this over the winter. Keep this updated when you find a part number.
Old     (sswright127)      Join Date: Aug 2016       08-15-2016, 5:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerbilly View Post
I need to do this over the winter. Keep this updated when you find a part number.
I'll update pics/parts. Plan on getting it knocked out in the next week or so. I'm sure it'll be super fun.
Old     (sswright127)      Join Date: Aug 2016       08-16-2016, 9:15 PM Reply   
Looks like feeding the cable isn't going to be difficult. I removed the floor, which is held down by 5 screws, and now have access and can see the entire cable. Luckily I won't be feeding any rope or having to fish the cable anywhere...

Cut the zip ties and separated the cable...

View to the steering column...

I still don't know the cable size yet. The only markings I can find so far are "made by teleflex USA". It looks like reaching the back part of the cable under the engine is going to be a pain, it's a pretty tight fit.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-17-2016, 4:27 PM Reply   
Skidim.com may let you search by your make and model. Worst case pull it out and throw a tape since you don't have to fish it. Surprised it's not stamped under the helm somewhere
Old     (sswright127)      Join Date: Aug 2016       08-17-2016, 8:56 PM Reply   
Got it pulled, it is an 18 ft cable. SSC13418 (or 15418) also measured to confirm...

Do disconnect it from the rudder you have to remove the sides of the storage locker on both sides of the boat. From the port side you can get to the zert on the rudder to grease it...

From the starboard side you can get to the cable end. I had to disconnect 2 large hoses (attached with hose clamps) to get to it. Used an extra long ratchet and wrench to get the connecting bolt off. Ratchet on starboard side, wrench on port. Super tight fit, not fun. I then unscrewed the main nut on the cable which is essentially directly under the engine. Use a vice grip to brace the cable sleeve and a crescent wrench to unscrew the large nut.

View of hoses pulled back and connecting nut on cable...

Connection point for rudder. Working around the fan belt is a PITA..

I went ahead and went for the extreme cable, ssc15418. $150-ish on Amazon. It's a little more expensive than the 134, but if I get a little more use out of it it'll be worth it.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-18-2016, 8:42 AM Reply   
glad you found it, skidim will NOT let you search by make/model. cheaper on amazon too by almost $50
Old     (steves1967)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-18-2016, 10:52 AM Reply   
I feel your pain, I just replaced the seal on the rudder box. I had to take out that black fiberglass exhaust log to get to the rudder box. What a PITA!!!
Old     (sswright127)      Join Date: Aug 2016       08-18-2016, 11:10 AM Reply   
I was afraid I was going to have to take that exhaust out, luckily I managed to squeeze in there! New cable gets here tomorrow. Now that I have everything opened up I'm going to degrease/clean it all. This boat sat in storage unused for the last few years so it's pretty dirty. Only has 140 hours, not bad for an 05.

The water in the bottom was disgusting, I had to fog it for mosquitoes before I could work on it!
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       08-18-2016, 11:15 AM Reply   
Well glad to see another one out there. I got a 2002. Not the latest or greatest but it gets the job done and I have not been that blown away by any of the newer ones to want to upgrade.
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-18-2016, 11:15 AM Reply   
Nice work and documentation! Get ready for fingertip steering.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-18-2016, 10:41 PM Reply   
Looks great! You coulda dropped that serpentine out of the way but it's done right. Let's see some pics of your boat when you splash her.
Old     (sswright127)      Join Date: Aug 2016       08-19-2016, 8:35 PM Reply   
I got the cable installed without a problem. The difference is unbelievable, there is almost zero resistance. Moves so effortlessly I had to have my buddy make sure the rudder was moving, at first I didnt think it was hooked up.
Old     (seadawg)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-23-2016, 12:18 PM Reply   
I know exactly what you're talking about on this, Steven. I went through the same thing back in 2005 on my '02 Pro-V. Night and day difference having to muscle the steering wheel before, and then being able to steer with one finger afterward. Congrats on the boat, and great job documenting the project.
Old     (sswright127)      Join Date: Aug 2016       08-23-2016, 6:50 PM Reply   
Thanks! It is definitely more responsive on the water than anything I've driven before. Just got finished building my wake gate, now I just need to tackle the stereo and I'll be ready to go!