Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-08-2016, 10:46 AM Reply   
I know there have been a lot of discussions and posts and pictures on here and other boating sites.

Here is what I did...

Suction Cup from Princess Auto - $16.99CAD
Industrial Plastics Scraps would have been $20, but paid them for some labor - $45CAD
Some stainless screws from Local Hardware Store - $5CAD

I am running a 2004 Supreme V220.
Built in Ballast 600lbs.
Tied in another 2500lbs in Fat Sacks.
And loaded the one side with passengers.
Goofy side - 10mph
Regular side - 11mph

Every day we hit the lake, the wake and shape varied depending on water conditions and number of passengers.

NOW...

I have taken out all of the extra ballast. Got all of my storage back!
Both sides 11mph
No shifting of passengers around.
Suction Cup device has never fallen off!!!

The wake...
Seems to be more consistent.
Seems to hold better shape in choppy conditions.
Longer and cleaner.
Maybe not as steep... more weight will steepen it... but I am more about efficiency!
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-08-2016, 10:51 AM Reply   
Oops. Forgot to attach the pics.
Attached Images

Old     (KJonesWakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2016       08-08-2016, 11:11 AM Reply   
Nice! What angle is the plate set at??
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-08-2016, 11:29 AM Reply   
I dont have it down to exact science.
But I have it so the bottom edge of plate is in line with bottom edge of boat.
Maybe slight downward angle if any.
As far to the back of the boat as possible.
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-08-2016, 1:46 PM Reply   
Damnit this just makes me mad!

I have the exact same boat model as you and I can't get the cups to stick no matter what.

Tried the skate ramp deal one time, accelerated once, snapped my 750# rated line and sunk.

Tried the suction cup one over the weekend, same thing accelerated once, snapped the 1000# rated line and sunk.

Had the "handle on demand" and it seemed much stronger than the orange harbor freight one that I had around the house. Going to give it one more go with the aluminum handle and put multiple lines on it and pray, pray, pray for the best.

Also, rip those factory ballast tanks out of the boat, you can fit 750's in the back compartments when you do, plus you can actually GET to the impeller housing without being as much of a contortionist.
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       08-08-2016, 5:30 PM Reply   
I am about to put together an adjustable turnbuckle style, basically the same as shagman's. Going to create a variety of plates for various angles to use on my v215. It seems the COSMOS aluminum suction cup handle from Amazon does the best, based on my reading. 100% bought supplies has me in it for about $95. Goal is to prevent listing and create a longer pocket with more push.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-08-2016, 5:56 PM Reply   
I guess I don't get it. My boat has a surf system and I don't use it. We get a nice wave with the surf system but get an incredible wake listed plus the fact an evenly weighted boat at least mine drives like a tank evenly weighted. I guess I can see it if your boat just won't surf with just ballast though.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-08-2016, 6:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20king View Post
I guess I don't get it. My boat has a surf system and I don't use it. We get a nice wave with the surf system but get an incredible wake listed plus the fact an evenly weighted boat at least mine drives like a tank evenly weighted. I guess I can see it if your boat just won't surf with just ballast though.

We're not all dedicated wake surfers. Many people just want to be able to switch from sport to sport and side to side quickly.
Old     (snyderaaron)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-08-2016, 8:07 PM Reply   
and make sure there is a spot to put it on your boat. I made one and there was a curve in my boat that didn't allow suction for just below water line.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-09-2016, 9:43 AM Reply   
Here is how I solved some of the issues you are talking about above...

The pieces that are screwed to the suction device are screwed through the handle and I used two nickels worth of space so the suction cups can still pivot for slight curves in the boat.

The big plate that the water pushes against, I used 3 nickles thickness between the plate and the surface of the boat, thus the plate wouldn't push up against the side of the boat.

As for Harold...

I get a beautiful wake when I have my 3000+ lbs and a bunch of friends in the boat. I am sure most boats do.

This system has given me back all of my storage and my time from switching weight back and forth.

A couple other things that I think might be added bonus...

I am thinking there might be better gas mileage on the boat.
For those that pack lead, dont empty all of their ballast, less strain on the trailer and tow vehicle.
For those boats that have extreme lean for their wave... I am guessing it must be better for the engine to avoid potential oil starvation to certain areas of the engine.

Just guesses... but I am happy with the results.

Is it better than my former wave... maybe not... but I can do everything on this wave as I did on my former wave... so it works for me.

If you have extreme curves on your boat... Mount the suction device first... hang off of it... mark it... then design your plate while it is on the boat.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-09-2016, 2:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20king View Post
I have done my best to dial my XLV with 3000+ pounds of ballast. I have bags hard plumbed to go in both rear lockers, the playpen locker, under the surfside seats, and under the surfside bow seat. There aren't many more places for me to fit ballast. the boat/trailer already weigh 6,250 so I am not really interested in running lead. I also slalom ski if you'll believe that, so I don't want to add static weight for that reason. so we'll get a decent wave out of our XLV with the ballast I have on the regular side. a mediocre wave on the goofy.

With a "suck gate" that I built for under $10 and an evening of time, I've been able to get 1 to 2 more board lengths of pocket out of the wave, and it's fun and clean. So for $10 and minimal space taken up, I run my suck gate, especially when it's just my 65 pound son in the back corner for 'people weight'.

Version 1 before the extra surface area above

For the Goofy side, it makes a big difference over what I can do listed because I don't have any underseat ballast on that side and I'm fighting prop rotation.

My boat doesn't have as deep of a V as yours does, and it's nowhere near as new as yours is. But then again, I only paid $30k for it. so I do what I can aside from the fact I'm not into lead.

Hope that makes sense.
Old     (rlwagens)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-09-2016, 4:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by getssum View Post
Had the "handle on demand" and it seemed much stronger than the orange harbor freight one that I had around the house. Going to give it one more go with the aluminum handle and put multiple lines on it and pray, pray, pray for the best.
I had the aluminum COSMOS and have never even tethered it because it hasn't budged after 50hrs+ of use. Eventually you will need the blue and white SeaStow because the components are all stainless steel. The same model is also available at West Marine with different branding.
Old     (shagman)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-09-2016, 11:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaadLS1 View Post
I am about to put together an adjustable turnbuckle style, basically the same as shagman's. Going to create a variety of plates for various angles to use on my v215. It seems the COSMOS aluminum suction cup handle from Amazon does the best, based on my reading. 100% bought supplies has me in it for about $95. Goal is to prevent listing and create a longer pocket with more push.
I sold one to a guy with a V215 who had success with the 8x10 plate that I use on my design. So far the supra 21v is the only boat I've tried that we are having to experiment with a bigger plate on.
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-10-2016, 1:47 PM Reply   
Harold my thoughts are that I already LIKE the boat I have. I don't really want upgrade due to the large difference in price (at least 50-60K) and that my boat is basically dialed in, has low hours, and is a "Sunk cost" to me.

Also, as my boat has a "flat transom" and not a deep V it throws a very nice wakeboard wake, but requires a LOT of weight to get it to lean over and provide a decent wakesurf wave.

If money were no object I'd have a new boat every two years as well. However I'm more frugal than that (at least currently!) and have other interests that aren't cheap besides boating.
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       08-10-2016, 4:22 PM Reply   
Couple of questions...

Does rounding off the hdpe edges make any differences?

Does a tapered design make any difference?

Last edited by BaadLS1; 08-10-2016 at 4:29 PM. Reason: Edit