Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-01-2016, 6:17 PM Reply   
So i noticed my new to me Axis did not come with a safety chain/cord. Any recommendations on what is strong enough/wont be the snot out of my trailer like a normal chain would?
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       08-02-2016, 7:01 AM Reply   
This looks like a pretty good option http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...e-Down&i=73278
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-02-2016, 8:22 AM Reply   
Over time I think that weather would be tough on the ratchet mechanism. If you launch in salt for get it.
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       08-02-2016, 9:01 AM Reply   
They get used extensively as transom tie-downs (so are dunked repeatedly), so can't imagine they have that many problems with the mechanisms. Spray some lube in there every now and then, and they're probably fine.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-02-2016, 9:47 AM Reply   
Either get a plastic coated chain, or do what I have done for our last 2 boats, feed the chain through a section of tubing.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-02-2016, 10:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
They get used extensively as transom tie-downs (so are dunked repeatedly), so can't imagine they have that many problems with the mechanisms. Spray some lube in there every now and then, and they're probably fine.
This. Zero issues with my fixed transom tie downs.
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-02-2016, 10:21 AM Reply   
I installed a safety cable years ago. I got the cable from my local trailer shop and the hardware from R&E Fastner. About $25 out the door.

Sorry about crappy pics. That phone sucked.
Attached Images

Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-02-2016, 10:22 AM Reply   
Pic two
Attached Images

Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-02-2016, 11:39 AM Reply   
That outside the box thinking is what I was looking for! I knew there had to be a better way than the old standard chain that beats up the trailer.
Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       08-02-2016, 1:04 PM Reply   
Not to thread jack but our boatmate trailer came with a safety strap hook. Last weekend I was in the boat organizing some things and what not and my buddy goes to back the trailer in the water. Forgets to undo the safety strap. Slowly backs me down the ramp, I begin to float and boom that hook snapped on that strap with next to no force applied. Didn't even have time to start up the boat before it snapped. Thing was so damn weak it snapped off without me even feeling a thing, only reason I knew it happened was the sound.

Needless to say make sure you get something strong. And to those of you with the boatmate safety strap, don't bank on it holding anything more than an inflatable dingy to your trailer
Old     (viking)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-02-2016, 1:53 PM Reply   
This is what I bought:
http://www.pacifictrailers.com/18-lo...ap-hook-latch/

That and a bolt/nut from HD and your set
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-02-2016, 2:35 PM Reply   
^^^Thats the same one I installed.
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-03-2016, 6:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking View Post
This is what I bought:
http://www.pacifictrailers.com/18-lo...ap-hook-latch/

That and a bolt/nut from HD and your set
This is the one i had been eyeing but didnt know if it was beefy enough or not.
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       08-03-2016, 7:25 AM Reply   
Those are plenty beefy enough (braided steel cable is crazy strong). The important part is to make sure you use large enough washers on the attachment where there is no way the loop can come off the bolt point.
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-03-2016, 8:15 AM Reply   
^^^Exactly right on the washer. This is also another reason I installed another bolt through the winch stand. It should direct the force laterally against the anchoring bolt instead of vertically against the washer and also give the cable something to wrap around to soak up some of the initial "hit". Of course that's just my theory. Fortunately I've never tested it.

Last edited by fence_sence; 08-03-2016 at 8:18 AM.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-03-2016, 10:32 AM Reply   
I wouldn't go through all that in the name of safety and use just any old Home Depot bolt. I'd look toward a grade 8 or 5 at minimum. If the cable failed In the event needed it you could live with that because you can only go so far there, but if the bolt failed it would've been pretty easy to go beyond standard with it.
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-03-2016, 10:42 AM Reply   
^^^Also correct. I used all grade 8 stainless. You need to go to a quatlity nut and bolt shop. I use R&E Fastner.