Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Find A Third/Be A Third

Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-20-2019, 4:10 AM Reply   
I live up in sussex county and ride on lake mohawk. Barely got to ride this year, boat was sitting in a garage ready to go all year. I know the season is just about over, but more or less looking for riders who would be interested in getting out there next year. With my work schedule weekday mornings are my favorite as the lake is empty at that time as well!

Hit me up if your interested.
Old     (paulharenberg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-21-2019, 4:22 AM Reply   
I am in Hunterdon County, never rode at Lake Mohawk. I'm willing to check it out. Weekday mornings typically don't work for me, but maybe we can find something. I ride out near the PA/NJ border if you are willing to check it out. I'll shoot you a pm with my contact info.
Old     (mrbigwake)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-28-2020, 4:44 AM Reply   
projectely4 - I'm in Glen Rock and off every other Friday, would love to get out this summer!
Old     (Squamer)      Join Date: Oct 2015       01-28-2020, 11:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbigwake View Post
projectely4 - I'm in Glen Rock and off every other Friday, would love to get out this summer!

You work the 9/80 schedule?..... Loved that schedule
Old     (paulharenberg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-31-2020, 6:16 AM Reply   
Who else is itchin' to ride?
Old     (jerseyvlx)      Join Date: Aug 2019 Location: New Jersey Send a message via ICQ to jerseyvlx       04-08-2020, 10:36 AM Reply   
I am a newbie with a house and a slip on Lake Hopatcong. Looking to start actively getting into boarding and can be a third if someone has a boat. I'll probably be getting a boat sometime this season but it'll most likely just be a runabout.
Old     (paulharenberg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-08-2020, 11:36 PM Reply   
jerseyvlx - Welcome.

Not sure if you're looking new/used/budget restrictions/size restrictions, but curious why you are leaning towards a runabout. Growing up we had a runabout, I've boarded behind all sorts of boats, and if watersports are your passion I'd strongly suggest an inboard over an I/O. Its a topic that's been beat to death (on here and other forums), so I'd happily have an offline conversation about it.

Are the Lake Hopatcong marinas open? I assume the state boat launch is closed as of Tuesday night?
Old     (jerseyvlx)      Join Date: Aug 2019 Location: New Jersey Send a message via ICQ to jerseyvlx       04-09-2020, 4:27 AM Reply   
Thank you! I go back and forth between runabout and specialized. As you can tell from my username, I basically bought a 2008 VLX last year but then backed out last minute because of the algae bloom problems on the lake. Since then I did some reflecting with the wife and since I'm a beginner we thought it'd be better to get a more budget-friendly and newer runabout (2014-2016) for the same money as a 2008-2009 I/O. If I end up really enjoying wakeboarding I could always upgrade to an IO, but I figure learning the basics behind a runabout while saving $10-$15k maybe isn't a bad idea. Right now I'm between a budget runabout that's local to me and a MB B52 with close to 700 hours that I'd have to ship to NJ. Again the difference is about $10k. Not sure about the differences in maintenance and reliability between a runabout and IO so certainly interested in learning about that. Feel free to PM as I'm certainly open to conversation.

The Marina's are "open" if you know what I mean. Some are taking the restrictions more seriously than others.
Old     (paulharenberg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-09-2020, 12:10 PM Reply   
I didn’t mean to mislead on verbiage , I use inboard to describe ski and wakeboard boats (direct drive or v drive), and then use runabout and I/O (inboard outboard) interchangeable to describe those boats. Get whatever suits your needs best, an inboard is better for watersports for sure, but there is a learning curve for using at slow speeds or in reverse.

I work closely with the reservoirs in NJ and I am curious how the algae bloom will be this year . Hopatcong was hit hard last year.
Old     (jerseyvlx)      Join Date: Aug 2019 Location: New Jersey Send a message via ICQ to jerseyvlx       04-09-2020, 12:44 PM Reply   
My mistake, when I said IO I meant to say inboard. But yea I'm hoping for better days ahead for our lake. Last year was devastating for the local businesses and they are off to a bad start now for 2020 cause of COVID.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-29-2020, 10:33 PM Reply   
jerseyvlx

On Lake Hopatcong you probably love a v-drive for all reasons. Less maintenance, better handling, they hold speed better, etc. Plus you can wake surf behind them, cannot do that with an I/O.

I've had over a dozen boats and I'd say the V-drives are my favorite. Call Offshore Marine in Sussex county and see what they have. Lou the owner is a very good friend of mine, mention Dave W sent you. What's your price range?

Anyway, we are all itching to get out on the water.....soon!
Old     (jerseyvlx)      Join Date: Aug 2019 Location: New Jersey Send a message via ICQ to jerseyvlx       05-03-2020, 3:04 AM Reply   
My price range was $30k.

I stalked Offshore and Lake Hopatcong Marine's websites since last year but couldn't settle on anything.

I ended up with an I/O for this season that I got for under $20k. I think it should be fine for this year to learn the basics behind it.

Being a third behind one of your V-drives though could convince me to upgrade for next season though!
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-19-2023, 7:10 AM Reply   
Can't wait for next season!