Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (snjames316)      Join Date: Mar 2017       02-08-2019, 9:00 AM Reply   
Been part of the forum for a while but never posted here, Figured now is a good time since I am looking for some minor assistance for TBW setup.

I recently started working on for a more cost friendly approach to adding a gps speed control to old boats that can't justify a $1000+ main brand controller. I saw some old posts from a different forum and got in contact with the person who started it. We have worked on creating a low cost, accurate, easy to install, universal solution. I am programming everything and my counterpart (the founder for lack of better term) has been working on hardware solutions.

This past season I completely overhauled the entire unit's programming from the menu to the throttle calculation (which was refined about 6 times). We have gone from an unstable, barely working state, on 1 boat to around 10 boats with feedback from several users saying they like the stability better than PP or ZO.

Currently still getting a few test units out while working on a way to get a more doable process of assembling hardware. current cost is from about $250-350 USD. We are planning on having several option for cost effectiveness. from the minimal DIY kit to a custom made ready to integrate Option for your boat. range will probably be $300-500 but that is to be determined still.

Currently this will work with any engine with a throttle controlled by cable. We have not installed on any outboard engines yet, but it should be very do-able with a little handy work on servo placement. TBW section - I am working on a programming upgrade that will allow for any boat with Throttle By Wire to also use the system, That is currently in planning phase and I have not started engineering yet, but I do have a solution that is being reworked a few times till I am satisfied it is a safe, easy, modification. Currently I am looking for someone to volunteer to help me figure out what the exact signal type is coming off of the throttle controller for a TBW system. I think it's a PWM signal but i'm not 100% sure. If anyone could confirm for me I would appreciate it.

2018 Season Upgrades

General Code - No more freezing unit, It is now full reworked/optimized the entire firmware code from ground up to run faster
GPS Mode - several iterations of control calculations have been tested and improved upon. Currently holding target within about .3 MPH at all times, Currently testing a new calculation to solve an overshoot issue on initial acceleration
Acceleration Rate - Adjustable acceleration rate for those who have boats that will rip arms off the lesser experienced.
New Menu - A new scrolling menu that is easy to see and navigate to each setting. making a settings change is just a few clicks
Compass/Heading - Optional on screen compass reading (N,NE,E,SE...ect)[*]Sensors - Optional Water and Air temp sensors on display (degrees in F or C), Voltage display, RPM display
RPM mode - RPM now works but has not been fine tuned yet.
Overshoot Control - A way to select the exact amount of overshoot you want without needing to change the main acceleration profile.
Known Bugs - Fixed: to many to count or keep track of. Existing: If unit loses GPS signal it looks like the unit is frozen up while it tries to regain signal. Firmware update fails if there is a space in the update directory path.
Servo solution - Servo is now available with a highly water resistant(almost waterproof) design to protect the servo. you can still purchase your own servo and integrate it into the system as a custom solution.
Twin Engine - twin engine setups are supported and requires only 1 servo. No extra cost having to run two servos. On the list to program a 2 servo option with Engine sync abilities. This will only increase by the price of the second servo and optional waterproofing.
Gauge case - Designed a 3d printed 3.5" gauge case for the units to be shipped in. you can request a custom case if needed for mounting in unique locations.
Project Code - This project's code is currently open source meaning you can get a copy, read it, modify it, customize it, make your own hardware and use our code for free, submit bug reports, request features, ect., source location is here

I'm sure there's some other stuff but that is all the main stuff I think

Video clips we have so far

Test with split video of Servo and Unit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0iDjN5Jejo

Fourth of july! 'Murica
https://youtu.be/J7YusadDv2I

Speed accuracy (NOTE-There was ZERO tuning done at this point, we shipped him the unit and he installed it and took it on the water.)

Some tube testing with iniital code
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TQty3DrWgg

initial wakeboard test (ignore skill level)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YefhLkuNBl0

initial Wakesurf test(ignore skill level)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyObVTVflI8
Attached Images

Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-08-2019, 10:35 AM Reply   
Wow what a first post. To bad your weren't around last summer when I had to convert my 2006 supra over to GPS because the old system went out.
Old     (snjames316)      Join Date: Mar 2017       02-08-2019, 10:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblarc7 View Post
Wow what a first post. To bad your weren't around last summer when I had to convert my 2006 supra over to GPS because the old system went out.
Was around, just not here .

But yea any questions about the system or whatever just ask here, Or if you wish to help me out by assisting with getting a Throttle By Wire control reading for me that would be great.
Old     (snjames316)      Join Date: Mar 2017       02-08-2019, 11:37 AM Reply   
Another side note (I hate double posts but I cant edit since admins disabled it after 10 minutes.)

Our website is SteadyPass.com
Send us an email if you want to be added to the list for a unit - support@steadypass.com
Units are still pretty slow off the assembly line right now since it's not our full-time job making the kits but we are trying to get the test kits out to the most interested users that will give us the best feedback. Give us a little info on what it will be used for and what boat if you do send us an email. High priority is getting a few Slalom Skiers that can give us real feedback on the pull from a competitive course standpoint.

I'm sure I'll think of like 30 more things to post on in the next ten minutes so I'll keep this short and end it now while I still can.
Old     (kendallb)      Join Date: Aug 2013       02-08-2019, 5:31 PM Reply   
I was just looking into hydrophase and perfect pass units for a 02 moomba lsv I just got, but your unit is just what I was needing. Simple set up and low cost! I'll email you my set up and hopefully be running it this summer! Thanks for finally making a cost effective option!
Old     (snjames316)      Join Date: Mar 2017       02-13-2019, 9:34 AM Reply   
I have gotten a little feedback from a few owners that have TBW. It looks like the solution I have planned will work. There will be several variables in it but I am going to be beginning work on programming soon. I have found that the sensor installed in a few boats is part# 9862 of the series linked below. If anyone else is willing to figure out what sensor is installed on their boat and could send the part number my way with what boat you have I would appreciate it.
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...7Yh41JWw%3D%3D

Side Note: The next batch of parts (enough for 10 kits) has been ordered. They are being assembled and should be able to make it out (hopefully) before the beginning of the season.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       02-15-2019, 6:35 AM Reply   
I'm interested . Would be for Wake and surf speed use mostly and an accurate digital GPS speedo . I'm waiting to see some reviews on your product before I commit . Unless you want me to be a test dummy lol
Old     (snjames316)      Join Date: Mar 2017       02-15-2019, 10:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALIV210 View Post
I'm interested . Would be for Wake and surf speed use mostly and an accurate digital GPS speedo . I'm waiting to see some reviews on your product before I commit . Unless you want me to be a test dummy lol
Aren't we all test dummies......

But yea we don't have any official reviews since the product was changing rapidly last season. Code was always introducing a billion new features or fixes. Will be sending out a product reviews to all current owners this season.

1. The main feedback we have from several is that they like the smoothness of the speed control

2. possible downside: It has/had initial overshoot of 3-6 mph depending on how you use your throttle. The reason I say "had" is that I made 2 critical changes to the control calculation to fix attempt to that issue after I put my boat away for the season and we haven't had anyone on the water to test it out.

3. Feedback from 2 people that have gone on my boat with PP experience and they said they thought the overall pull felt much better to them than PP. The main complaint (from them not me) on that front was the control logic in PP for predicting the acceleration curve is non-existent.I don't know if that's an accurate statement or not, I haven't used any of the other systems before so I have no opinion on the pull of any other system. I just want to work on my own calculations and innovation.

4. accuracy from user videos seems close to perfect, holding within about .2 or .3 mph if the water is smooth. if its heavy rough chop is tend to go outside of that range to about .5 at times but that is just the nature of it with 2-3 foots waves hitting the boat.

5. we have refined our install process and hardware a few times, So we should be able to provide you with everything you need for the install to be relatively simple. though depending on your boat you may need to create custom mounting hardware for linking the cable to the throttle body. Nothing crazy, I installed on my twin engine with <$5 of home depot nuts and bolts.

All in all our system works with no known critical issues. It is usable in any situation as GPS speed control. RPM mode has not been tuned in yet so that is a little sketchy in rough water but it does work. We are beyond the test dummy phase. Right now we are in the phase of improving upon what we completed and getting more feedback from new and current owners.

if you do find yourself interested signup for our news letter. we only send at most once a month so don't worry about any spam>>>> https://steadypass.us18.list-manage....&id=c60f429fa8

if you have already decided you want to be part of the budget speed control uprising just email us directly that you want a unit>>>> support@steadypass.com

Side note: not pointing anyone to go join the MasterCraft forum. But the thread I started (since I own a MC) has a lot more info to read though that might be interesting to some. Got a late start on this forum. https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk...ad.php?t=85509

Last edited by snjames316; 02-15-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Old     (Rugger)      Join Date: May 2016       04-07-2019, 4:18 PM Reply   
Should post it as a project on wake garage.com too. It fits the make your boat better idea. Think some of the folks there might dig it.
Old     (snjames316)      Join Date: Mar 2017       04-08-2019, 8:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugger View Post
Should post it as a project on wake garage.com too. It fits the make your boat better idea. Think some of the folks there might dig it.
Checked out the site. Looks like a good place to post.

Since I'm here, Was working onthe TBW code last night. made some good progress on mapping out the programming for the sensors and fail/error detection. Ordered a couple parts that will help me with creating an exact signal match of the PPS .
Old     (snjames316)      Join Date: Mar 2017       08-13-2019, 11:55 AM Reply   
After several updates to the tuning calculation this season we have arrived at the below model. Target of 20.0 MPH. Very accurate when tuned properly. Currently working on the next version which will make tuning easier for the users and fix a few bugs that I have created along the way.

https://youtu.be/Eqp9w2fMbDk
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       08-14-2019, 4:01 AM Reply   
Looks like it works well. Nice job! Are these for sale yet or are you still prototyping and V2 will be for sale?

Were you going that slow because she was a new wakeboarder? Wave looked very washy at that speed.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-14-2019, 4:12 AM Reply   
are there really that many TBW boats that don't have speed control?
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-15-2019, 12:59 AM Reply   
I think the problem now isn't that they don't have speed control. It's that the speed control they had is going out. And perfect pass isn't stocking the old system parts any more. They are forcing you to buy a whole new GPS stargazer system.

Ask me how I know!!!!!!