Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (deltadave)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-03-2009, 7:58 PM Reply   
Seems like Tige gets bashed the most on WW, like on the current Tige NO BALLAST WAKE thread. Do others like Centurion get slammed as much a Tige? As I recall, Centurion was always a price-point boat with inexpensive upholstery and construction, yet I don't think I see people slamming them like they do Tige. I think Tige makes a pretty good boat these days. I don't own one, but I'm curious, what do people have against them? Is it past bad experiences? Poor quality? Tige owner pride? Bad reputation? Poor wakes?
Old     (nosebleed)      Join Date: Apr 2004       01-03-2009, 8:04 PM Reply   
I always hated that they still use wood in their stringers and then in a classic move of over-compensation they offer the 1,000 year warranty on the hull. I will say that back in the early 90's they had the only wake with perfect scores all across the board.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-03-2009, 8:13 PM Reply   
I don't think that either uses wood stringers. Sanger does but I think they use yellow cedar, just like the US Army does, right?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-03-2009, 8:19 PM Reply   
Don't most all if not all inboard manufacturer's offer life time hull warranties? The way the boats are fabricated now you all most have to warranty the hull because repair below the deck might be difficult.

By the way I’m on my second Centurion. I’ve been boating since about 1966, though only with inboards since 2005. I really like my Centurion.
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-04-2009, 3:14 AM Reply   
Tige seems to get bashed the most. I don't even know why. I could pick out things I don't like about every inboard out there. It seems that people are threatened by Tige or something. It's a freaking boat, get a life! I didn't buy a boat to win a popularity contest.
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-04-2009, 5:35 AM Reply   
Pretty difficult to escape fanboyism on WW. But it makes for a good show!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-04-2009, 8:22 AM Reply   
It seems as though it's Tige but I too can't understand why other than the "we're the only ones that don't need ballast" deal they try to pull. They make a very nice very well built boat that I wouldn't mind owning if Sanger ever went down.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-04-2009, 8:29 AM Reply   
"Centurion was always a price-point boat with inexpensive upholstery and construction"

"Was" being the key word
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-04-2009, 8:53 AM Reply   
Never owned a Tige, but they are good looking boats. I have owned MC, Malibu and Centurion. Heard a lot of crap in the past about Centurion, then I rode in one for half a summer and I was hooked. and yes, I will say that it is a smoother ride than the MC and Malibu because of it's deeper hull. In the present/past, it is what you like and want. I think now it is going to be what you can afford.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       01-04-2009, 9:56 AM Reply   
Maybe off the subject, but

If Tige' started putting a ballast system in their flagship wakeboard boats I bet it would change the market for them.

They have the advertisement, pro riders and the look that makes a marketable boat, but no ballast for the hardcore wakeboarder.

I would buy a Centurion over a Tige' for that simple reason and I am not a hardcore wakeboarder. I just hate filling ballast bags and moving them all around to get a huge wake for boarding or surfing.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-04-2009, 10:01 AM Reply   
^^^They do now.

Tige, gets bashed more simply for the fact that they are pushing the big three and making moves to capture more of the market.
Old     (blind_pete)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-04-2009, 10:08 AM Reply   
from shopping last year for a new boat, IMO the mc, and cc's are over priced. the fiberglass in the storage compartments had a poor finish, along with an intermediat interior , which was on par with Tige. For 30 grand less i would buy two Tiges for the cost of one loaded CC or MC. however the interior finish of the bu's were second to none. malibu's are priced between the mc's CC's and Tige's and when it comes to the wake i would be willing to bet that a blind test folks would have a hard time telling the difference with all of the different balist configurations available. take the tige's with the interior finish of the bu's and i would buy one in a heart beet.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       01-04-2009, 10:22 AM Reply   
It does have ballast systems now....I didn't know that Hate. If so my bad. On which boats is it an option?
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-04-2009, 10:31 AM Reply   
Brannon Tige's have ALWAYS had a ballast option. ALWAYS!!!!!!!!
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-04-2009, 10:45 AM Reply   
Just an FYI, Tige has offered a factory ballast system for YEARS, and the bashing on this site has not changed! Many people don't believe Tige offers ballast because of too many unknowledgeable dealers that order their boats without it. If you read the threads bashing Tige, it's the same 3-4 WW users over and over that bring up the same old crap that dates back to issues, not unique to tige, that are 5-6 yrs old and have been beaten to death over and over.

It's actually kinda comical that a guy that owns one of the best boat brands made, like a MC for example, is SO obsessed with hating on another boat brand, which in his mind, is completely inferior and doesn't even deserve to float on the same lake has his boat.

Not every boat manufacturer is going to please every boat buyer, so what if you dont like the lines, colors offered, options offered, shape of the wake, width of the wake, seating arrangement, ride, freeboard, price.........these are just personal preferences, there are plenty of others to choose from

(Message edited by chpthril on January 04, 2009)
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       01-04-2009, 12:20 PM Reply   
I think Tige gets the most criticism, deserved or not, because they have always tried to compete with the Big 3. Centurion, Moomba, etc. were never shy that they were price point boats, where as Tige never claimed to be a price point boat that I can remember, though I could be wrong. When you are trying to directly compete with the top 3 manufacturers and you come to the plate with a sub par product, even if at a discounted rate, you are going to get criticism. See Cadillac vs. Mercedes, BMW, etc. for a long time. Just like Cadillac who now probably offers a product closer to the competition, it takes a long time to overcome past mistakes.

Now I'm not saying everything Tige made in the past was crap, as I've seen some good builds from the early 90s, but to say that everything they had was on the quality level of say Malibu, Nautique, or MasterCraft as a whole would probably be stretching it, and I feel that is the direct competitors Tige was aiming for.

Bash away...
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       01-04-2009, 12:23 PM Reply   
One other complaint would be that Tige NEVER cemented a place in the ski market, and many older wake buyers have a history with ski boats. Tige has a common reputation in ski circles as a crap boat with a crap wake, so IMO that could have also lead to some of the negativity.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       01-04-2009, 2:13 PM Reply   
We love Malibus, but if I was in the market for a boat and Malibu was not in the picture, I would look seriously at the Tiges. They make a nice boat with a nice wake.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-04-2009, 4:01 PM Reply   
I'm kind of shocked that some of you guys consider the Centurion a price point boat. As everytime I've priced an Enzo, they were ALWAYS up there around the price of a M/C or CC
Old     (nwarhol1105)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-04-2009, 4:12 PM Reply   
BOTH OF THEM SUCK EQUALLY! Kidding. I bought a Mastercraft because it was the best deal when I was in the market. I will do the same thing when I buy my next boat later down the line.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       01-04-2009, 5:08 PM Reply   
Tanner, Centurion WAS a price point boat up until a couple years ago. Not certain models are, but the Enzo is far from a price point model.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-04-2009, 5:52 PM Reply   
And Tige is NOT a price-point boat... and with the exception of the Z1, doesn't claim to be
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-04-2009, 5:59 PM Reply   
That is correct Centurion has been evolving over the last 6 or 7 years it kicked in to high gear when the first of the Enzo series came out in 2004. There are 4 series of Centurions.
The Family series is totally ala cart everything is an option so you can get exactly the boat and the price you want Then there is the Air series These are basic wakeboard boats with a Tower and Ballast and very few options. The Storm Series kicks the options up a notch Ending with the Enzo series With lost of standard options and the Enzo styling.
Old    K.B.C.            01-04-2009, 6:05 PM Reply   
I think Tige gets bashed most HERE due to the whole "Our boats don't need ballast" stance they took for a while. That seems to be a thing of the past, but they will always catch flack for it on this site.

I've seen a decent amount of Centurion bashing on here as well...
Old     (fic)      Join Date: May 2008       01-08-2009, 4:14 AM Reply   
Every boat has a niche , from their inception Tiges was family skiing , from the start they had the number 1 boat for slalom skiing, and Mc , Cc owners dont get in a tissy, I said slalom , not 3 event, they received rave reviews for the best slalom boat for several years, as the sport changed Tige changed with the demand to build a multisport, not sport specifics as the others chose , thats why they pushed the no ballast theme , for most familys the wake in a stock to stock comparison is comparable and more then adaquite, but ballast was always an option, which made no since why anyone complaned. Also why should a family have to pay for something they might never need.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-08-2009, 1:41 PM Reply   
Hands down Tige gets bashed the most...

I agree with Scott, I think the biggest reason for this is their stance "our boats don't need ballast" bullcrap that the dealers and some advertisements still push.

I own a 98 pre2200v W.E. that I am very happy with.
the dealer DID tell me that "unlike the other boats, with the TAPS you will not need ballast"

I knew better and put in #2500.

TIGE needs to 'lay down their king' and admit that they do need ballast to have a decent to great wake.
Old     (ron_mexico)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-08-2009, 2:31 PM Reply   
interesting find. axis claims:

"The Auto Set Wedge can be deployed through an access hatch in the standard fiberglass swim step. A simple pinch of the clips and the Auto Set Wedge is ready for wake-making. This reverse hydro-foil floats to the perfect displacement position and turns up the volume on your wake size. No ballast. No filling, No draining, Just wake."

hmmm.....
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       01-08-2009, 2:36 PM Reply   
Ron, I think you are in the wrong thread.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-08-2009, 2:45 PM Reply   
^^^

No, I think Ron is bring in a another point that another company is saying something about "No Ballast"
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       01-08-2009, 2:47 PM Reply   
Okay, Sorry
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-08-2009, 2:48 PM Reply   
Does anyone remember the crappy centurion wake pics??

At least you can add ballast to a tige and have something to ride.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-08-2009, 3:01 PM Reply   
^^^ or get it factory installed!
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-08-2009, 3:19 PM Reply   
The axis boat also has factory ballast. And the wedge does create a bigger wake unlike TAPS which can only make the wake smaller.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-08-2009, 3:30 PM Reply   
^^^ Makes it smaller? How did you come up with that one? I'm a little confused and have experience with many models of Tige's.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-08-2009, 3:55 PM Reply   
TAPS is a trim tab plus a slightly convex hull, right? If so then setting the trim tabs down should make the wake should get smaller, same as it would on any other boat with a trim tab.

A strongly convex hull would leverage the Coanda effect and generating a lot more downward force, probably as much or more than a wedge or switch blade. However a strongly convex hull might generate a tall plume behind a boat.
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-08-2009, 5:45 PM Reply   

quote:

^^^ Makes it smaller? How did you come up with that one?

It's pretty simple really, taps all the way up (effectively out of the water) allows the boat to sit the deepest in the water and is the biggest (and I use that term loosely) wake right? So any movement of taps down is making the wake smaller. They explain how it works pretty well on the website, they just fail to mention that taps doesn't really make the wake bigger, it's the removal of taps from the water flow that make the wake bigger.
Old     (shredder_girl)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-08-2009, 7:02 PM Reply   
What is the true point in this debate. Every thread about Tige ends up this way and it goes on and on and on. If people weren't hiding behind a computer screen, would they really stand face to face with a Tige owner like myself and bash my boat to my face. I don't think so. Bottom line, Convex V does work, Tige has always offered ballast, Tige hasn't had wood in their boats for a long while and it is a bad ass boat. Any Questions???
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-08-2009, 7:25 PM Reply   
That's b/c they'd be trying to agree with you and get in your pants mel ;)
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-08-2009, 7:27 PM Reply   
Nick H- For 09 Tige is using the same grade of upholstery as Malibu is using. No longer can people back one that stuff. You should take a look at the new 09's. I think you would really be impressed by them. I could name off 10 things that they have upgraded or added to the boat for 09.

Peter T- If your ever interested in a Tige you know who to come see hahaha
Old     (highrock)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-08-2009, 9:18 PM Reply   
Whos really looking to buy an 09?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-08-2009, 9:53 PM Reply   
There is no such thing as a bad boat. Just some are better then others.

Tige def. gets bashed the most.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-09-2009, 5:21 AM Reply   
Luckily for Tige there's Axis to pick on now.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-09-2009, 6:42 AM Reply   
^^^ Naw, there are great features in all boats. Why pick on Axis? I am sure it will be a nice boat to wakeboard behind.

Limo, so what you should have said "When you move the TAPS gauge up in value, the boat's ass lowers itself into the water to create a bigger wake. When the TAPS gauge is lowered in value, the ass raises and creates a ski'able wake."

That is what the video show about TAPS.

(Message edited by dabell on January 09, 2009)
Old     (highrock)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-09-2009, 7:38 AM Reply   
The hull makes the wake on any boat (except the wedge which helps pull the boat down) what the taps does is help you change the shape of the wake. Which taps is lowered then the boat has the "hook" back in the hull like a ski boat and makes a smaller wake or I have found helps to get the boat on plane. Then you raise the plate up to the wakeboard settings and the hull is what is touching the water. The convex helps some in this aspect but I dont think a boats hull can actually suck down in the water. Wakeboarders dont need ballast when they first start riding or get the boat, some never will, if you plan to be in it for a long just simply get ballast or get it installed. No reason to bash Tige on this idea. Nautique has the Hydrogate which I use similar to taps to get the boat on plan, but again it doesnt help make the wake any bigger.

I have rode behind a couple centurions and dont have anything bad to say about the wake either, I thought the shape was very similar to Tige.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-09-2009, 9:55 AM Reply   
Tige and for no good reason. Well maybe the whole no ballast thing doesn't help. Esp. since many on WW are all about ballast.

MC owners tend to pick on everyone.
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-11-2009, 9:22 PM Reply   
dabell, no, I think I explained it pretty well.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-12-2009, 6:45 AM Reply   
^^^

Apparently you didn't watch the video or you would have explained and understood the physics of the TAPS plate or even the wakeplates that they us on various other boat models.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-12-2009, 6:57 AM Reply   
Limo, BTW, here is the info that might help you better understand the TAPS/wakeplate. Not to mention there is not place that I see where Tige comes out and says "Tige's don't need ballast".

http://tige.com/convex.php
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-12-2009, 7:18 AM Reply   
enjoy your kool-aid is that red or purple?
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-12-2009, 7:27 AM Reply   
^^^ Yours must be pink!!!
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-12-2009, 7:28 AM Reply   
For others, here is a RZ4 with no additional ballast. Rider is Eric Ruck.. Scroll down to view it.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/651295.html
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-12-2009, 7:28 AM Reply   
Oh damn you got me good there...... did you come up with that all by yourself or did your mommy help?

(Message edited by ridininmd on January 12, 2009)
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-12-2009, 7:30 AM Reply   
^^^

No, bashing isn't going to get you anywhere but arguments. I have stated my point with facts. I am still waiting on yours that you don't have.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-12-2009, 7:31 AM Reply   
Limo, grow up!!!!
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-12-2009, 7:34 AM Reply   
Facts? dude the fact is that if you took trim tab off the boat it would make it's biggest wake. It shows that in the video. When you put the trim tab down it makes the wake smaller. I don't get why that is so hard for you to understand?
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-12-2009, 7:38 AM Reply   
That isn't what you said in your first post of this thread.

"the wedge does create a bigger wake unlike TAPS which can only make the wake smaller"

(Message edited by dabell on January 12, 2009)
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-12-2009, 7:39 AM Reply   
Yes, and that's the same thing I said in my last post. What's your question?
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-12-2009, 7:43 AM Reply   
So, you are referring to wedge as a TAPS plate?

See what is confusing is you are saying wedge in one post and then TAPS/wake plate in another. Reason for the question.

(Message edited by dabell on January 12, 2009)
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-12-2009, 7:47 AM Reply   
nice edit

No I'm not calling the wedge a taps plate. my first post was replying to the one comparing axis and tige.
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-12-2009, 7:50 AM Reply   

quote:

interesting find. axis claims:

"The Auto Set Wedge can be deployed through an access hatch in the standard fiberglass swim step. A simple pinch of the clips and the Auto Set Wedge is ready for wake-making. This reverse hydro-foil floats to the perfect displacement position and turns up the volume on your wake size. No ballast. No filling, No draining, Just wake."

hmmm.....

That is the post my first post was replying to.