Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Brandin10)      Join Date: Jul 2015       09-02-2015, 8:19 AM Reply   
This is my first season with a boat. I live in Alberta Canada and our season is extremely short. My question is how much could our season be extended with wet suits. We are down to single digit morning temps and day time highs around 15 degrees Celsius 60 Fahrenheit. So for those of you with wetsuits/dry suits at what temps does it become uncomfortable to ride.

Thank You
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-02-2015, 9:05 AM Reply   
Brandin: I've wakeboarded in 14deg weather before....just got a really cold forehead.lol. Wetsuits and Drysuits help for sure. It really comes down to how cold you can stand jumping in too or the air temp. In the spring sometimes I will wear my heater top and a shorty wetsuit to double up on insulation. When I got my boat last year in the spring my first surf session was in 49deg water....It was cold. If I had gloves or boots on it would have been fine.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       09-02-2015, 9:13 AM Reply   
I live in Vancouver, WA and ride on the Columbia River between WA and OR.

I'll wear wetsuit shorts and a heater top (1.5 mil) when the water is in the low 60's. When the water dips into the mid to upper 50's, I'd be okay in a full wetsuit like a 3/2. For lower 50's water temp I'd really want a 3/4 wetsuit. But honestly, I skip a lot of the full wetsuit stuff with water in the 50's or below and go straight to my drysuit. It's so awesome to be able to ride and then be dry when you get back in the boat.

I will ride from March through the beginning of November because I have a drysuit. We will also do "polar bear runs" where the water temps are in the low 40's. I think I rode in 42 degree water on New Year's Day once. For wakesurfing, I have neoprene booties. For wakeboarding, my closed toe slingshot RAD bindings provide plenty of insulation. Just don't take your boots off until you're back on the swim deck!!! And then a pair of neoprene gloves. I also have a neoprene cap that I've worn when the air temp is also in the 40's. But it makes me look like a cosmonaut! LOL.