Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (mxracer183)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-07-2011, 7:43 PM Reply   
Hello guys, I need a new amp for my boat.

It need to drive my pair of Kicker Kmt6 on the tower and my four boat speaker. I had a MB Quart 4 channel amp for one summer but after winterization it was dead...2 channel where running the kmt6 and the two other channel where for the 4 boat speaker (Kicker Ks 60).

I was happy with the performance of the amp but it didn't last. Do you have any suggestion for a abordable amp with similar performance?

Thanks guys

Here are the spec of the old amp:

Discus Series 4-Channel Class AB Car Amplifier
RMS Power Rating:
4 ohms: 125 watts x 4 chan.
2 ohms: 250 watts x 4 chan.
Bridged, 4 ohms: 500 watts x 2 chan.
PWM (Pulse Width Modulated) MOSFET power supply
Remote bass level input (remote level control sold separately)
LED power and protection indicators
Tuned Bass EQ (0-9 dB bass boost at 45 Hz)
Bridgeable operation
Soft start sound
Preamp RCA outputs
DC, short, thermal, and overload protection circuitry
Unbalanced RCA inputs
Switchable 2-channel/4-channel input modes
Damping Factor: >180
Variable input level control: 0.2V-0.6V
Variable high-pass filter (10-1200 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
Variable low-pass filter (30-150 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
Frequency response: 10-20000 Hz
Dimensions: 15.75"L x 9.45"W x 2.7H
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-08-2011, 6:06 AM Reply   
Abordable? sont vous Francais?

Did you not properly winterize your amp? I'm kidding. Despite the obvious, how do you know your amp is dead?

As for new amps, there's a ton of options. I just picked up some Exile amps. I'm not fully complete with the install yet, but I did hook the 800.4 up, and was very happy with the output. Popular amps for boats are Exile as I mentioned, Wetsounds, Arc, Kicker, JL, and Liquid Accoustics is coming out with some cool new amps as well.

If you're not looking to spend a lot of money, I'd look for a quality used amp before I bought a new low quality amp. Car audio forums such as caraudioclassifieds.org have a lot of amps for sale in their classifieds forum. The members have references and feedback so you can verify their reputability as a seller. You might like this amp.

Keep in mind, install is just as, if not more important than what amp you have.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-08-2011, 6:44 AM Reply   
The Kicker ZX450.2 is the perfect match those KMT6 speakers or the newer Kicker IX500.2, or something of equivelent power. The ZX450.2 can be had for around $200.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-08-2011, 6:47 AM Reply   
I'm a firm believer in full range class D amps or similar effecient technology ( class g/h, ect) but for for inexpensive good power and reliability...I like the hi-fonics brand of amps.
Old     (mxracer183)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-08-2011, 4:52 PM Reply   
Thanks guys

Yes francais sorry for the bad translation!

Was it ok to connect 2 channel with 4 speaker (2speaker for each channel) and the other 2 channel for the kmt6 with the amp i had?
If possible i wOuld like to only have one 4 channel amp for all my speaker

Thanks
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-09-2011, 10:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer183 View Post
Thanks guys

Yes francais sorry for the bad translation!

Was it ok to connect 2 channel with 4 speaker (2speaker for each channel) and the other 2 channel for the kmt6 with the amp i had?
If possible i wOuld like to only have one 4 channel amp for all my speaker

Thanks
Yes that's fine. That's not the reason your amp died if that's what you're asking.
Old     (bingbing)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-09-2011, 11:25 AM Reply   
What is your budget?
Old     (mxracer183)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-09-2011, 6:38 PM Reply   
Yes that was my question

Not much about $250.i paid about 200 for the mb quart and the power and sound quality was enough for me.do you have suggestion?

Thanks for the help guys
Old    mojo            04-09-2011, 8:37 PM Reply   
i have no experience with mb marine stuff, but they did get bought out a few years ago by some other company and i've heard nothing but bad about it. i have pre buyout speakers in my truck and had them in my old car and love them even though they are a little bright sounding. i've had good experiences with JL marine amps as well as kicker, wet sounds, and clarion. my favorite are wet sounds and JL
Old     (mxracer183)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-11-2011, 6:37 PM Reply   
So does anybody knoews a good but cheap 4 channel Amp? Any suggestion?

Thanks guys
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       04-11-2011, 7:02 PM Reply   
Here's a pretty ballin' 4 ch refurbished amp within your budget:
http://www.bostonacoustics.com/GT-50...shed-P713.aspx
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-12-2011, 8:33 AM Reply   
Try sending your current amp in to get fixed or at least for an estimate. You might be surprised at how little it could cost to fix it.
Old     (mxracer183)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-12-2011, 7:12 PM Reply   
It cant be fixed thanks

Anybody have experience with kicker zx650.4? I found those at $239 refurbished

Thanks
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-12-2011, 7:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer183 View Post
It cant be fixed thanks

Anybody have experience with kicker zx650.4? I found those at $239 refurbished

Thanks
Good solid amp at 120W RMS X 4 @ 4 Ohm, but its a beast of a footprint.
Old     (mxracer183)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-13-2011, 5:32 AM Reply   
There is also a Hifonics Zeus ZXi150.4 in my price range

Zeus Series 4 Channel Class A/B Car Amplifier
RMS Power Rating (@ 14.4V):
4 ohms: 150 watts x 4 chan.
2 ohms: 300 watts x 4 chan.
Bridged, 4 ohms: 600 watts x 2 chan.

Does someone knows how it is compare to the kicker one?

Thanks a lot for the help!
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       04-13-2011, 6:18 AM Reply   
FWIW I have a Zeus 100x2 amp from about 12 years ago. It's pulled duty in a Jeep that got rained in occasionally, an unairconditioned garage in Southern Louisiana (i.e. humid as it gets), and now in the boat powering my tower speakers. It's still working fine.

HiFonics is a budget brand though so I'd imagine it's overrated compared to a comparable Kicker amp although I have no first hand experience with the two amps that you're referring to..
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-13-2011, 6:34 AM Reply   
I have the ZXi 6408 sitting in my garage along with a bunch of other audio crap. It's less output than the Hifonics amp you suggested. I would only use it for my boat if I was desperate. They produce good sound, but are a bit inefficient, and run a little hot. I get the kicker before the hifonics. What is your price range? And do you live in the states? If price is an issue I would by a quality used amp before I bought a lower quality new amp, like I mentioned earlier.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-13-2011, 6:34 AM Reply   
Jeff, as far as power most hi-fonics are underrated.if u search around various car audio forums...it's still a very good underrateed ( RMS) line of amps.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       04-13-2011, 6:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by acurtis_ttu View Post
Jeff, as far as power most hi-fonics are underrated.if u search around various car audio forums...it's still a very good underrateed ( RMS) line of amps.
That must have been why I picked a Zeus 10-12 years ago then. I generally don't buy anything that costs more than about $50 without researching it first. I'm not that into audio stuff though as long as it's working and doesn't sound like total crap.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-13-2011, 8:33 AM Reply   
It's kind of interesting if you go out into the car audio forums because most of them will say not to waste your money on the "name brands" because all you are paying for is marketing and amps like Hifonics or Cadence will put out twice the power or more for the same money. The Kicker 650.4 is a huge amp like TigeMike said but it will pump out some good power.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-14-2011, 6:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Adam, did you mean Hifonics amps are overrated?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-14-2011, 6:37 AM Reply   
No, most hi fonics amps when bench tested put out more RMS power at 14.4v than rated from the factory. searching aroudn car audio forums you can find alot of bench tests ( pictures) showing it.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-14-2011, 6:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyb View Post
It's kind of interesting if you go out into the car audio forums because most of them will say not to waste your money on the "name brands" because all you are paying for is marketing and amps like Hifonics or Cadence will put out twice the power or more for the same money. The Kicker 650.4 is a huge amp like TigeMike said but it will pump out some good power.
Hmmm....I don't think that's true. Hifonics amps USED to be good, when Steve Mantz (ZED audio) made them back in the day. Steve quit making amps for them, and then Maxxsonics bought Hifonics which has reduced the quality further. It seems like the rule of thumb for recent Hifonics amps is subtract 25% from the claimed rating. With that said, Hifonics are NOT bad, especially for the price. If you want cheap power Hifonics is the way to go.

I'm not sure what "name brands" they were refrencing, probably JL, Alpine, Pioneer. I don't pay much attention to those brands, but there are companies who do underrate their amps. My Exile X1200.1 is rated at 1200 X 1 on 14.4v, but it benches out at 1350 x 1, and capable of 1600w burps. I've heard Sundown, AQ, and other amps are underrated as well.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-14-2011, 7:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
No, most hi fonics amps when bench tested put out more RMS power at 14.4v than rated from the factory. searching aroudn car audio forums you can find alot of bench tests ( pictures) showing it.
I'd be interested to see that, because I've heard quite the opposite. I have a Bxi2008d and Zxi6408 in my garage, that was included on a package deal (killer deal). I haven't decided what to do with these amps yet. Might end up installing them in my truck, so if they aren't underrated that'd be a good thing for me.
Old     (NOBODY)      Join Date: Apr 2011       04-16-2011, 6:57 AM Reply   
I will be making a video presentation on how to conformal coat an amplifier to make it "marine grade". For those that don't know much about this stuff, I will give you all the knowledge you'll need to "do-it-yourself". What is conformal coating? It's either a 3-5mil acrylic or polyurathane coating applied over the board (both sides). This coating is an insulation barrier so it does not get sprayed over the heat sinks. This product comes in a 16 oz aerosol can and cost about $20 per can.

This product is the very same product used on the assembly line of a CM (Contract Manufacturer) plant. (i.e circuit board mfg - Jabil Circuit, Flextronics, Celestica, ect.). When an amp mfg says their product is "marine grade", there are two elements typically associated with this regard. 1. Conformal coating. 2. Corrosion resistant chassis and components. Corrosion resistance is important especially with regard to the connection points. Power and RCA. A cheap amp will use cheap metals with a spray coating that appears to be gold or chrome. Long story shortened up..........The price for a Wetsounds amp is WELL worth it! If you have lots of time, then conformal coat yourself. I have Hertz amps....these is top-of-the-line stuff and two amps have died in two years caused by moisture. These amps ARE NOT conformal coated therefor the moisture was able to attack the amplifier circuit boards. I had the amps repaired and I did the conformal coating process myself.

It sucks when you have to replace amps ever year or other year.