Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-28-2014, 9:21 AM Reply   
I know shipping a boat has been discussed on here before. How about shipping a car?

Got a smoking deal on a car in Chicago area. Need to get it down to Texas. Thought of going to get it (from Texas) and the PITA that would be.

Found American Auto Shipping. Price of $929 door to door and should take 3 days. Anybody used them? any horror stories or accolades, please share them all.

Thanks!
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       10-28-2014, 10:48 AM Reply   
Try http://www.uship.com/

I've used them and moving services will bid down the price..
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-28-2014, 10:59 AM Reply   
very few shipping companies have their own fleet. those that do, charge more. typically the shipping game is played by having shipments bid out. Uship has stepped in and become a marketplace for getting things shipped.

With a car shipment, most the time it'll be on an open car carrier so for the most part, they'll all be comparable. If you use u-ship, start an auction for the shipment. read the reviews of the shippers. don't always accept the lowest bid from the new guy trying to get his start. I did this on my boat and it was super stressful and all sorts of chaos. Be clear that they're willing to deal with "uship payments" as a COD/escrow arrangement. Shippers are required by uship to accept uship payments, but it isn't always practical, as you have to release ALL or none of the payment. I got into a situation where I needed to get a deposit to my shipper and u-ship payments didn't facilitate that.

u-ship takes hefty fees from both you and the shipper. $50 from you and I think about $250 from the shipper. Just so you know. they are making big money just being the marketplace.

Uship tracking is cool as it gives a SOMEWHAT real time location of your shipment as it crosses the country.

I've also used Red Carpet Auto transport as my broker before the days of u-ship.

Remember, anyone that's quoting you a fixed price is really just picking a price that they think they'll get a bid accepted for. so if one fixed price shipper says $2000 and another says $1500, it's because the first one knows they can get a quick bid acceptance of $2000, whereas the other one is banking on the fact that they'll be able to get SOMEONE to eventually accept that $1500 price within a reasonable amount of time.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       10-28-2014, 11:47 AM Reply   
I came so close to having some experience with this. I almost had a Dodge Challenger shipped from Maine to Denver for just under $1000. The logistics of getting money to a private owner was more difficult than arranging the shipping granted I didn't have to deal with the horrors of a bad car shipment. Luckily I found the exact car I was looking for in Cheyenne, WY before the deal went down and I was able to just drive up and get it. There is a lot of satisfaction in getting the exact car you are looking for with absolutely no compromises even if you do have to jump through hoops to get it.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-31-2014, 4:12 AM Reply   
I just shipped an M3 in an enclosed trailer from San Francisco to Chicago through Montway for $1100.

Also have had success shipping through an auction in Uship.com (boat from Chicago to AZ for $1300!)

Depending on if you bought a super fun car, id get a one way ticket and drive it back to TX! Fun way to get to know your new ride...good luck!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-05-2014, 10:26 AM Reply   
hey guys, thanks for the replies. Its a BMW 530. Will be fun to drive, not sure if I'd be interested in driving ANYTHING for that long!
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       11-06-2014, 8:14 AM Reply   
Is it wise to purchase a car from the Rust state?..... I work out in Michigan and they cars get beaten to heck out there... Just my opinion though.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-06-2014, 8:45 AM Reply   
Did you find someone to ship it? If not, my aunt owns an auto shipping business based in Toledo. They mostly drive the cars from point A to point B but she also can get enclosed or trailer shipping as well.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-06-2014, 12:19 PM Reply   
Its a Florida car, back in Indiana temporarily. South Bend to be exact.

Timmy, I'm curious what the comparison would be to drive vs ship?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-06-2014, 12:24 PM Reply   
Drive it! I love road trips. Especially in newly purchased vehicles.