Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (pctarmor)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-20-2008, 5:44 PM Reply   
I got some pretty bad gel coat scratches this week from being tied up during a nasty storm and I was thinking of getting a polisher to deal with the problem. Any info on brands and prices. I did a quick check on the Meguiars dual action polisher and it looks decent. Any info??
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-20-2008, 6:10 PM Reply   
Porter cable 7424 if you want DA or go with a high-speed polisher like:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product2_6970_200319667_200319667

IMO, the polisher does much better on gelcoat. DAs are more suited toward paint/clearcoat.
Old     (rdmb)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-21-2008, 9:30 AM Reply   
I have been looking at this for a while:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/car+polishing/orbitals+and+car+polishing+tools/3+inch+random+orbital+bag+kit.do

I have used Griots polish, quick wax and spray cleaner on the cars and boat. It is just as good as anything else I have tried. You can get the spray wax in gallon jugs with a spigot to refill the spray bottle.

(Message edited by rdmb on July 21, 2008)
Old     (x45er)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-21-2008, 5:09 PM Reply   
I just ordered the 7424 from autogeek.net. I'm planning on using it this weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I'll be using Meguires flagship wax with it. I've got a couple of scratches on the side. I'll try and take before and afters for you.
Old     (pri3st)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-21-2008, 6:46 PM Reply   
You really don't need a polisher to wax your boat. I would do that by hand. To take out light scratches & oxidation the polisher would work wonders with 3m Finesse-it or something similar, then wax.
Old     (x45er)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-21-2008, 9:28 PM Reply   
I look at it as a labor saving device. Less time waxing and more time riding