Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-11-2013, 5:41 AM Reply   
Hey Guys,

I am looking for a new ride for my wife. I'm in love with the idea of them making this into a 3.0L Diesel however.... I know if I pick up used 2014 V6, I can save a ton of money.

I just wanted to check and see if anyone here at WakeWorld has a gas rig and what kind of mileage they are getting. If you have one.... do you ever tow with it? How does it do? I appreciate it!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-11-2013, 6:01 AM Reply   
I bought one for my g/f. car drives great...great value....IMO your getting every bit of what a $50k luxury SUV has inside the cabin. I think they shared some tech with mercedes or range rover?? the 8 speed transmission is a bit weird ( it seems to shift alot).

Not sure I wud tow with the v6.....I knwo the car is heavy...gas mileage suffer b/c of it...I think she avgs about 18 mpg??

It's a limited...not overland. leather, 20's , nav, ect.....bought it new for 31k I think? whatever it was I ws shocked at hwo relatively in expensive it ws compare to higher end SUv's it potentially competes with.

I really like the styling.
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-11-2013, 6:21 AM Reply   
are you sure you didnt pay closer to 41K? 31K seems pretty low.
Old     (ToPHeR35)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-11-2013, 7:49 AM Reply   
Was looking at the Diesel model too....I currently have a 2010 GC SRT8, but I would never pull with this thing...
Old     (garveyj)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-11-2013, 9:26 AM Reply   
I don't know if I would get the Jeep - I had an 05 V8 and the tranny started to go after about 2 months of towing a boat with it. Not saying that the boat is what caused the Tranny to start going but it had awefully good timing.
Old     (Khyber)      Join Date: Mar 2013       09-11-2013, 9:39 AM Reply   
I have a 2014 JGC Overland V8 that I received in March. It has been amazing thus far. I debated looking at the diesel, but the math didn't make sense unless you are driving 25K miles or more a year. I wouldn't consider the V6 for towing. It will struggle and if you ever upgrade to a bigger boat you will not be able to tow.
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-11-2013, 10:44 AM Reply   
I wouldnt HAVE to tow with it... I have a F250 that I use now. I just thought it would be nice to have the option. I found a used Limited with 500 miles on it listed for 33K. I was hoping maybe get it for around 30K does that sound about right?
Old     (dandre227)      Join Date: May 2013       09-11-2013, 10:53 AM Reply   
I have 2014 GC Overland V6 and absolutely love it. I have towed my boat ('08 Supra 22SSV on double-axle Boatmate trailer) many times thus far and the GC has performed very well. The V6 model is rated for up 6,200 lbs towing on 2014 model which was a substantial increase from previous models I believe. The longest trip so far while towing the boat was approx. 700 miles total. Not sure exactly what my MPG was but I didn't stop for guess often. The V6 has handled everything I've thrown at it so far. Obviously the V8 model would provide more power but the V6 power has proven to be plenty for my boat. I always make sure the boat's gas tank is as low as possible to reduce weight. Hope this helps.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-11-2013, 11:23 AM Reply   
somewhere in the 31-33k range?? When I was looking I remebr seeing 2013's for about the same price ( a few $$k less...but wiht 5-12k miles) ....it made sense to just buy new. the 2014's made some changes I/we liked in the inside of the car.

I can hunt around for the paperwork when i get home and find out the exact price.

and the a/c blows ridiculously cold

I drvie a 100k + car and honestly, like driving that jeep more..if that says anything.
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-11-2013, 11:31 AM Reply   
Yeah if you could let me know what you had to give for it, I would appreciate it! I dont want to pay to much for a used car when I can just buy new. It's been 12 years since I have bought a vehicle so Im not exactly "on my game" if ya know what I mean.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-12-2013, 6:57 AM Reply   
While I have not towed with the V6 version, I wanted to give some input.

The new GC (wk2, 11-14) seems to be a pretty solid tow vehicle, assuming you realize it is not a full size truck. Between the sway control and leveling suspension that comes with the tow group, it provides a decent platform if you don't drive like a maniac and stay below the weight limit.

I will say the extra power of the hemi is very evident when not towing (drove them back to back), so I imagine towing with the V6 will require some patience and planning when passing. As far as gas mileage, based on what I have read on the forums (jeepgarage.com, great resource), the V6 doesn't really do much better than the V8. If you spend most of your time city driving, you will gain a decent amount, on the highway it is almost a wash.

Also, a quick pic, because threads just aren't as fun without something to look at...
Attached Images

Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-14-2013, 8:04 AM Reply   
what kind of mileage are you V6'ers getting out there around town (not towing)?
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-14-2013, 11:34 AM Reply   
I have an '08 CRD (3.0 turbo diesel) as well as 4.7l V8 flex fuel Grand Cherokees - the diesel is by far the favorite SUV I've owned and even favorite Ive ever driven. Tons of torque, tows great, and 26+ mpg around town. Our 4.7 is great for my wife (never really tow with it, reliable and cheap) but sucks fuel; like 15mpg around town.

I've had a few 3.7l V6 WKs and they weren't very good on gas; maybe 16-17 around town from what I remember.

I have no experience with the new v6 Chrysler "world" engine or whatever they call it, but its supposed to be much better.

Last edited by ian_ashton; 09-14-2013 at 11:36 AM.