Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (havasu4life)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-26-2010, 12:05 AM Reply   
Did a search and found a lot of good information about trampolines in general, which are good, sprig length and about homeowners insurance etc... but nothing on the following...

I found a 16ft tramp http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/for/1912974243.html but it says it has bands instead of springs.

I am curious if anybody has used these. How durable are they? How is the bounce? etc...

Also, one major concern is unauthorized use... I am curious if anyone has solutions to that problem or have ever used a tramp lock like this one...

http://www.1800trampoline.com/netloc...nclosures.aspx Does it work? Would it help solve insurance issues or at least help with the liability issue?

Always wanted a tramp but growing up my dad wouldn't let us have one because he said it would kill the back yard grass. But now my bro and I bought a house (which has half grass and half dirt lol) and we are thinking of putting one in the backyard for year round practice.

Any info would be greatly appreciated...
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-26-2010, 5:31 AM Reply   
Insurance companies are all different. I had one who refused to write a policy because I owned a trampoline. Another said okay if it was inside a fence, another required a seperate rider on the policy cost of $200/year. Check with your agent be prepared to change companies.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-26-2010, 7:45 AM Reply   
over-rotated on a front flip and slammed my face into the bar that goes around the edge of the trampoline. broke my jaw in 2 places, stitches, chipped teeth, etc. the netting was there but that just keeps you from going off onto the ground.

insurance company had plenty of questions for me after that! needless to say, the trampoline was in the dumpster 24 hours later. sorry i dont really have any helpful advice, just figured i would tell the story.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-26-2010, 8:27 AM Reply   
Get a rectangle/olympic trampoline if you can!! They are much better and have a more consistent bounce. Once you jump on one you will see how much better they are. They are more expensive but I found one on CL for $175 in almost perfect condition.
Old    ScottRobinson            08-26-2010, 9:19 AM Reply   
Go to State Farm! I am a State Farm Agent and we have no rules on Tramp. In fact I own one!!
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-26-2010, 10:35 AM Reply   
Stay away from the band tramps, IMO. Spring is a way better way to go. I have owned both. Way less bounce from the bands............
Old     (havasu4life)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-26-2010, 11:57 AM Reply   
Thanks tracktor for info on the bands. Has anyone ever used a tramp locking system for when you are not home?

Seth I am looking for a gymnastic style on cl but no luck so far. Thanks for the tip.

I hate to keep talking about insurance but would there be any way to hide or omit it from them. I am not worried about other people getting hurt because it is only going to be my brother and I using it. My only fear is like kids hopping the fence when we are not home. Thus, I am curious about a trampoline lock or if anyone has solved that problem somehow?
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-26-2010, 12:14 PM Reply   
If you are caught lying about anything to your insurance for any reason, it will invalidate any claim that you make against your insurance, even if completely unrelated. So if your house burns down, and they find out you lied about a tramp in the backyard, you get nothing. Not worth it.

Currently, I might have a tramp in my backyard, behind a tall fence, and I might simply have forgotten to mention it to them. But I would not lie to them about it.
Old     (nmcjr)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-26-2010, 1:08 PM Reply   
There are enough insurance companies that allow them that I would just switch to one that allows them. In addition, most swimming pool policies require a lock on your gate, so following that logic I do that too and I also attached "No trespassing-Keep out" signs to both sides of the trampoline, one right by the entry.
Old     (havasu4life)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-26-2010, 11:34 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advise everyone!

Jason, seems like a real smart move with the signs and doc you cracked me up with your last line there.

But ya, thanks again
Old     (nmcjr)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-27-2010, 7:35 AM Reply   
Ha, I didn't even catch that, yeah that's my tattoo!
Old     (micbergsma1)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-13-2010, 12:01 AM Reply   
don't use a bad rope!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd6siVuGXl0
Old     (AirFanatic)      Join Date: Oct 2010       10-13-2010, 8:31 AM Reply   
Thought you may be interested in a new trampoline on the market that's designed for wakeboarders and wake skaters - it has the safety cage around it but it's open in the front so the rope can move freely. Check out www.AirFanatic.com to see it in detail.

By the way, to Matt's point about the cage - whatever tramp you decide on, make sure you get one with a cage that can bear weight! Some designs have cages that are very flimsy - kinda like the net on a tennis court - and won't prevent injuries like Matt suffered. Sure, they're cheaper but the injury risk isn't worth it.

I hope that helps.
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-13-2010, 2:50 PM Reply   
great advice Mitch. i broke a buddies (John Marshalls) handle right after doing a raley luckily it broke from me pulling my body weight back up from sitting on the tramp and not while in the air on a trick!
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-17-2010, 2:23 PM Reply   
I just got a Springfree tramp and it's pretty legit. Good bounce, surprisingly, and so much safer. I'll try to put a video together sometime soon.
Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-02-2010, 9:33 PM Reply   
Having recently started going to a gymnastics club...and getting some professional trampoline instruction...my number one recommendation is...get some professional instruction.

Maybe get George Hery's videos...and then go to a gymnastics club if you find one that will coach adults. There are so many basic and easy to learn skills that lead to competence and control. It is not that much work...but you need to learn this stuff. Some of the very best skill building drills are pretty simple..but they teach you true control in the air.

A good example is the crash dive....which is on my short list of 'must learns'. This move is a must if you are going to spend time on a tramp. It can save your neck...literally. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfbkq6p_whY

When you go a gymnastics gym...you will see some of the best gymnasts spending a lot of time doing what look like really basic moves...drops...alone or linked... cruises... cradles... pullovers....porpoises...Lazy backs...crashdives....etc. Learning this formal progression of gymnastics moves will result in much much safer progression. Learn this stuff and you will be a lot less likely to get hurt. You will also develop better air awareness and control when you start doing moves with the handle...and then on the water. You will have developed an awareness of how to move your body with no handle. When you add the handle...it will just give you another tool.

Here are some step by step tutorials that show the variety of 'sub-skills' that go into more involved moves...

Cody (the building block used for advanced back rotations with spins):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nE7QOAhWpg

Full Cody:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YklzrNEEh5k

Miller (the types of moves that I think would be valuable to learn are from 0:48 to 1:25 and 3:45 to 4:40...everything else gets really crazy advanced... and too tramp specific):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=295dk4xTEts

And some cool vids of expert acro gymnasts training and just messin around...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKBe5gBQL-g
http://www.youtube.com
/watch?v=rbDIuTBeKF0
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-13-2010, 4:46 PM Reply   
Spend the money on a good trampoline. Definitely get a rectangular one. Bands are junk. Round are junk and have a harsh bounce curve that hurts my back and limits height Expect to spend $1500+ on the tramp and net and you will be in the right ballpark. Ours has been in pretty much continual use for the past 6 years. Kids still jump on it whenver the weather is nice. They don't get tired of it. I jumped on ours growing up regularly for 18 yrs and still jump on it regularly pushing 40.

We never had a net or pads growing up but just got lucky. I have seen my kids and other kids ejected into the net more times than I like to count. Our net system probably cost about $400 but is strong enought to hold them when they hang on it (no matter how many times I tell them to quit hanging on the net)

Best thing in the world as long as you don't break your neck.

Old     (waketowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-13-2010, 11:46 PM Reply   
i got a cheap sams tramp, air walker i think, only cost me 300 with a net, its perfect!
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-16-2010, 5:17 AM Reply   
I've got the Sams round one and it seemed fine for a while. My daughter will not even use it anymore after bouncing on the neighbors rectangular. They have 2 tramps and they are both for sale. Hit me up if you want his number. He can explain the difference between the two.
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-17-2010, 3:21 AM Reply   
My boy on our Springfree. Good bounce & very safe!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQtv0hPRvI4
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       11-17-2010, 4:42 AM Reply   
i was going to ask about that thing. is seems as if the matt shifts on it....anyone got insight ?
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       11-17-2010, 5:44 AM Reply   
There has been all sorts of debate on the Springfree with that twisting movement you noticed. Some experts(mainly competitors) state that the twisting motion puts very weird and negative affects on your knees and joints. I cannot state from experience but it makes sense.
Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-24-2010, 11:30 PM Reply   
EuroTramp. After you jump on one, you will know why...

http://www.eurotramp.com/en/large-trampolines-18.html

You get what you pay for....

Just yesterday I did a full body slam at the gym (World Elite in OC) a 1-1/4 back slam full rotation force...back of head impact. It was on a competition tramp...with competition padding up to the edge of the bed...and padding on all sides. Didn't even hurt because of the competition gymnastics padding. If it had been on a recreational tramp...and I hit my head where I did, and how I did...I would have been unconscious. I am certain. As it was...I got right back up...embarrassed...but unharmed.

I can not stress enough how important safety is. There is NO WAY I would get anything except a competition level tramp...and have competition padding for at least 5' on all sides. The comp tramps include about 5' on each end. I would build a platform and add 5' to the sides as well....then buy proper pads....

Last edited by kitewake; 11-24-2010 at 11:33 PM.
Old     (sasky_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-25-2010, 2:27 PM Reply   
Man when i think back to what we had when i was a kid.... i just laugh. We had a rectangular trampoline that my bro and i took the pads off of because we thought it was inhibiting the bounce... lol! I learned a lot of snowboarding tricks on there... just tape the edges and go. We'd pull it over by the trees and jump out of trees onto it and jump off the quoncet onto it... we are so lucky that neither of us broke anything on that thing. Lots of bloody noses from crashing into each other and some bumps and bruises was all we ever ended up with! Playing crack the egg with 4 teenage guys on at once... there was some serious air during those games..

Geoff
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-01-2010, 6:24 PM Reply   
I got a Springfree tramp and it's great! I can put my 2 1/2 year old girl, Hayden, on it, zip her in and not worry one bit about her falling off, going between springs, or hitting the bar. Plus, I can get great bounce on it and practice air awareness hucking myself around. It's super quiet, has a great bounce and is so much safer. I have one here at my house and am going to get some at the camp.
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       12-01-2010, 6:57 PM Reply   
Shaun, do you personally notice any twisting in the knees, ankles, joints in general? That is the issue they say those have, but personally never been on one. I too was looking at those. Did you get the oval or circle one?
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-05-2010, 11:44 AM Reply   
Not sure what you are saying about twisting joints etc...?
I have the jumbo square.
I'll try to get some video this week.
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-06-2010, 2:31 AM Reply   
Shaun, have you tried wetting the Spring free mat ? My boy does this every session and gets heaps more bounce!
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       12-06-2010, 3:21 PM Reply   
Shaun, I have heard that the problem with these springfree tramps is that when you bounce the mat actually twists a little due to the rods compressing and that if puts negative side affects on joints. Just wondering if you have felt this sensation compared to a spring tramp.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-06-2010, 3:30 PM Reply   
I had no idea there were so many trampoline types and accessories till reading this and then looking around.
Seems i hear of more people getting seriously hurt these days too. maybe i and my friends had some safety net of luck. we always had multiple people on the tramp and broke other rules and had no serious injuries and very few minor ones i can remember. I grew up with a trampoline in arizona and the sun just ate-up our pad over the springs and then we never replaced it. the mat we replaced several times due to sun-rot too over the years.

but anyway...

that spring free tramp sounded interesting and really got me curious, all though i see some benefits, there are other things that freak me out, like the twisting thing that jason mentioned (had to look that up). the enclosure seems to have it limits too. here is a nice little video about it all
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEvbybqC2Ig
granted, this might have been put together as a marketing thing from opponents, and maybe things have been fixed since, but it seemed pretty convincing to me. though there are several comments defending on the video.

some other links i found while poking around
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1095508AALKUwd
http://www.trampolinesafety.com/

trampolinesafety.com recommended these guys most (maybe related?maybe not)
http://www.jumpsport.com/
the alleyoop double bounce is something i have never heard of either. Two mats!

Last edited by wakerider111; 12-06-2010 at 3:35 PM.