Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    alanp            05-18-2010, 10:42 AM Reply   
hey im getting a watch for my wedding gift. im leaning towards a rolex submariner or gmt. i like them because the styles have changed very little and i dont think they will look dated anytime soon. any rolex owners have any issues with their rolexes? any other recommendations, rolex or not? (looking to spend around 5k)
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-18-2010, 10:46 AM Reply   
must be nice being able to drop 5 grand on a watch.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-18-2010, 10:54 AM Reply   
I have always been a fan of the Brietling watches. You can get some really nice ones that aren't too flashy. The other ones I have only seen on line are the Invicta watches....pretty cool looking.

Never owned either. Haven't moved up to the few thousand dollar watches yet....just the few hundred.
Old     (ritchieps190)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-18-2010, 10:56 AM Reply   
Omega
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-18-2010, 11:23 AM Reply   
I second Omega or Brietling. I own both. If you go with a classic style, a good watch should last you forever. I don't like Rolex, too many fakes out there and everyone knows them. I like wearing a nice watch that only watch people know.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-18-2010, 11:27 AM Reply   
A Rolex is a good investment because they tend to hold their value over time. A friend of mine, has had a submariner for almost ten years now, not a scratch on the face, and he took it in to get cleaned a couple of years ago and the shop offered him 100% of what he bought his watch for, towards any other Rolex in the shop. I have a Tag, and it is a great watch, but they do not hold their value near what a Rolex does. Plus the submariner can take a beating, my buddy has not mentioned one issue with his.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-18-2010, 11:29 AM Reply   
I second Brietling, i own one.. don't ask. and i love it. they just don't look as cheap as a Rolex to me. (if their not diamond encrusted) another reason is Brietling fit my big wrist better.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       05-18-2010, 11:38 AM Reply   
I have to admit I don't get it.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-18-2010, 12:15 PM Reply   
I would stere away from the Rolex. I have a large collection of expensive watches I have collected over the years. The Rolex is so cliche and over done, that it actually works against you a little. I would look at TAG and Breitling for quality, resale value and classy. Rolex is a great watch no question, but so are some of the others.

I would also maybe considering spending a hair less. I don't barely wear my real expensive watches cause I am worried about damaging them.

Just a thought.

Congrats by the way!
Old     (Steve_Bates)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-18-2010, 12:18 PM Reply   
Ten years ago, I paid $3400 for a brand new Rolex Submariner with date. Same exact watch now is roughly 6K.
Do it. Take care of it.
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-18-2010, 12:43 PM Reply   
I agree with Buffalow that Rolex is a little cliche and over done. Thats not to say I wouldn't snatch one up for the right price. I have a black face Breitling Super Ocean Chrono, and I couldn't be happier. You could get one for much less than 5k.
Attached Images

Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-18-2010, 12:56 PM Reply   
Holding better residual value is not the same as positive returns, people.

Sorry, but when I notice men wearing watches that cost more than about $500, I can't help but think they're compensating for something. See also: go-fast boats, flashy lifted trucks, and gold rope necklaces...
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-18-2010, 1:08 PM Reply   
I personally think the Cartier Tank is one of the best watches out there
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       05-18-2010, 1:15 PM Reply   
I like Rolex or some of the others mentioned if you like the undercover look. Im partial to Jacob and Co. I like the options and styles. I have a basic one for day to day and a full diamond case one for the days Im feeling myself or special occasions
Old     (madriding1)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-18-2010, 1:38 PM Reply   
I personally love the TAGs.. Have a few myself.
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-18-2010, 2:40 PM Reply   
One day I will own an Omega. Not ready to spend that kind money on a watch yet.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-18-2010, 2:47 PM Reply   
Rolexs look like old man watches to me. If I had to have one, I would go with this one
http://www.exactwatches.net/images/2...ariner.jpg.jpg

Otherwise, there are a lot of less expensive, and much cooler looking watches out there. Looks and style are more important to me than movement.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-18-2010, 2:49 PM Reply   
This is what I'm rockin
Attached Images

Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-18-2010, 3:35 PM Reply   
^^^ I have that in the traditional all silver 51 30. Got mine on ebay for $ 250.00.

Nixon makes some really cool watches. I own 4. Chrome Player, Walnut Rotolog, White Rotolog, and the 51 30. Nice looking watches that don't cost a whole lot of money.......but they ain't no Breitling.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-18-2010, 3:36 PM Reply   
I have that in the traditional all silver 51 30. Got mine on ebay for $ 250.00. Even though it's a surf watch I wouldn't recommend swimming with it.....you may sink.lol. It's a pretty heavy watch.

Nixon makes some really cool watches. I own 4. Chrome Player, Walnut Rotolog, White Rotolog, and the 51 30. Nice looking watches that don't cost a whole lot of money.......but they ain't no Breitling.
Old     (pdub)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-18-2010, 3:39 PM Reply   
Panerai.check them out real nice
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-18-2010, 4:01 PM Reply   
Two of the Partners in my office have two of the highest valued watch collections in the world. I am not a watch guy because I can't imagine dropping that kind of dime on a watch, but I have learned A LOT about watches from these two freak shows. I am not going to make recommendations because I feel it is a matter of taste and budget, but I personally would not buy a rolex. Too many imposters and too overhyped by the general public. Take a look at www.tic-tock.com, this is where the players in the watch industry sell their used watches. The used market is the place to go IMO. More watch for the $$.
Old    alanp            05-19-2010, 5:34 AM Reply   
thanks for the info guys. that website www.tic-tock.com was pretty cool too. easy place to see alot of high end watches with out having to sift thru the watch company's websites. panerai watches look really cool. they may be a little pricey but if i could find one in my budget thats probably what i would go with at this point.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-19-2010, 6:57 AM Reply   
"but they ain't no Breitling. "

What is it about the Breitling that you like? For many, it's the sight of success/money on the wrist. While I totally relate to the feeling, I just look for that in other places. Most people will never know that the watch on your wrist is expensive.

Two of my friends have Panerais in the office. Nice watches. They go for about 5K. Nice watch, but I would still rather spend that on a motorcycle or something fun. I like the Nixons and Rockwells.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       05-19-2010, 8:31 AM Reply   
Bulgari chrono...
Old     (shane97210)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-19-2010, 8:58 AM Reply   
I have to agree with some of the other opinions on Rolex, kind of an old man watch. I really am happy with my Cartier, but have been looking at the U boat watches recently.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-19-2010, 9:00 AM Reply   
CIE J-Rod. I just meant that as far as cost for one. Second I just really like the watches and would like to have one one day. I agree though, that the 5k could go to something else real nice too. I'm not looking for some diamond incrusted watch, I just like bigger watches.....hence why I have the 51 30 in the first place.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-19-2010, 9:05 AM Reply   
[QUOTE=jarrod;1587006]I would still rather spend that on a motorcycle or something fun.QUOTE]

EXACTLY!!! I appreciate nice watches, but would only spend that kind of money on one if I had FU money, which I don't.

I took my chick for a ride on my bike yesterday...she enjoyed the vibration...I don't think any watch could do that.
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-19-2010, 9:25 AM Reply   
J-Rod,
I think this is how it goes for me. For some reason, I tend to think of watches as little pieces of art. I don't buy them for a name, or for how people think of me if I wear a certain one. In fact, I would have a hard time buying a Rolex for the reason that I don't like what people would think if they noticed (and they probably wouldn't even notice). I bought my Breitling because when I saw it, I just fell in love with it. There are a ton of watches that I really like that are relatively inexpensive. There are probably even more watches that are crazy money that I wouldn't wear. I really don't care what people think when they look at my wrist. The watches I wear most of the time wouldn't impress anyone anyway, and I'm just fine with that. Thats just me though.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-19-2010, 9:26 AM Reply   
Totally! the 51-30 is an eye catcher. I love the attention it gets.

I just ordered a Rockwell 50 Square in black. It's even bigger than the 51-30. Doesn't look like much on their website, but I saw Randall Harris wearing one a couple weeks ago and it was badass.
Old    alanp            05-19-2010, 9:36 AM Reply   
my reasoning for wanting a watch is because it is something i could have forever(hence the interest in the submariner and gmt's they havent changed much in 50+ years and hopefully wont. they still look like they could have been designed yesterday). i could get something fun but i feel like in a few years i'd sell it, wreck it, or no longer be interested in it.

i currently have a tissot touch which i love and wear daily i have a vestal automatic which is more casual..
Old     (boomboom)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-19-2010, 9:53 AM Reply   
I have a very nice Gucci watch--that I never wear because I feel like a show off. I wish I had my $$$ back, I'd buy a cheap watch. When I see a Rolex, I assume it's a fake. That, and I have only ever seen total effing TOOLS wearing them. Rolex are on par with chest hair poking out of a fat, old guys unbottoned shirt--just not classy to me at all.
This is such a subjective topic, what's right for us is not going to be right for you. You really need to decide what you like and what you really want and then screw our opinions. Just don't be surprised if I think you're a tool wearing a fake Rolex when I see you. lol, j/k
just my $.02
Old     (goboating)      Join Date: May 2008       05-19-2010, 10:15 AM Reply   
I have a two-tone sub I wear every day and my wife and I both have presidents too. I've worn a Rolex for about 12 years and yes, they aren't cheap but they are great watches period. Id definately buy used in this market. I have several friends who own jewelery stores and keep several Rolex's at all times if you want to get with them. I love my sub and this is my second one.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-19-2010, 10:19 AM Reply   
I want a Rolex one day. I think it'd be a nice gift for a 40th b-day. I still am feeling a bit young to rock one. My wife knows what I'm after. I'm sure she'll find the right time to get one for me. It'll be a nice gift of accomplishment when I get one. I won't even ask until the money isn't an issue. Right now I have more pressing issues to spend my money on.

I love Nixon's. I've got at least 5 right now. I got away from the Player for a while because everyone started rocking huge watches. Now I'm back to loving it. A bit smaller, but classy and comfortable. I love my Rotolog. I've worn my white one so much it's faded to off white. It's about time for another. As for the attention it gets... You can't beat a Rotolog if that's what you're after. I've worked/spent time with some very wealthy individuals. It doesn't fail. I can be surrounded by guys with Rolex's and Breitlings at a bar, but someone will ask about my Rotolog.

I wear watches as part of my fashion. If you can wear the same watch everyday, then maybe go with something more substantial. For me, I love to have different watches. Leather bands, metal bands, the Rotolog (can't even describe the band), gold, black, white. Something different for each day of the week.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-19-2010, 4:24 PM Reply   
I've never been into watches much, rarely wear one...but that Rotolog in teak has my attention.

F'er. Thanks a lot Evan.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-19-2010, 4:37 PM Reply   
^^^ It's walnut....I also have the matching belt buckle for my watch.......what a nerd.lol.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-20-2010, 6:18 AM Reply   
Yeah...thx Evan...

I'm wanting that Rotolog now too... sorry, but I may be biting your style.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-20-2010, 11:08 AM Reply   
Ha, ha, ha... Dave, I've got the matching belt, too. I have it in wood grain and white.

Rotolog is Pimp. Go for it. You guys wont regret it. I've had mine long enough to go through 4 batteries and it's still working perfect. Time for another soon.
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-20-2010, 11:36 AM Reply   
I think the sub or GMT are both great choices. classs and understated. not busy, not at all old man, and I think you are on the right track thinking they havnt changed much over the years and always will be stylish, and last a lifetime.
Old    alanp            05-20-2010, 2:29 PM Reply   
thanks sdub. im considering those those bc they arent flashy imo. im looking at a stainless with black face and bezel. a guy was wearing one today at work and i had to look about 5 times before i could even tell that it was a rolex.
Name:  sub.jpg
Views: 1243
Size:  60.6 KB
Old     (pdub)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-20-2010, 2:46 PM Reply   
if you dont want to spend alot but want a nicly put together watch check LUM-TEC or Tsovet cool watches, you can wear every day and not worry about them.
Old     (pdub)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-20-2010, 2:47 PM Reply   
sorry, also welder watches.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-20-2010, 2:54 PM Reply   
Been considering Rolex for years.... Just cant justify it. I'd be affraid to wear it everyday, wouldnt want it to get wear marks or possibly scratched. I have a Fossil I got about ten years ago and get more compliments on that stuip watch than all the others I own combined lol.. Some day probably sooner rather than later I'll get a Rolex though.. That Sub above is exactly what I want.... I have to say I love all my Nixons...

Hey Evan!!!

"Thats not a watch...... It's a time piece"

hahahahahahaha I still laugh about that every time I look at someones watch lol
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-20-2010, 3:16 PM Reply   
Dood good call o the Welders! Those are Seeeeick!

Now I just need to get a hook up on one.
Old    alanp            05-20-2010, 4:43 PM Reply   
ill check out the welders. i tried on a bunch of stuff yesterday. omegas, breitlings, rolex, tag and cartier.

coop i was hanging out with a friend a few weeks ago and i asked him if he ever had any problems with his sub. he said no and said it was very durable. then proceeded to smash his wrist into a wooden table 3x, hard and said he's never even had a scratch on the face. i was pretty impressed. maybe someone else can chime in about their durability.

Last edited by alanp; 05-20-2010 at 4:44 PM. Reason: wtf?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-20-2010, 5:44 PM Reply   
I love watches I recently had 5 stolen and my Rolex was the lone survivor because it was on my wrist. I was like a lot of you that apply a stigma to Rolex owners but its mostly unfounded. I always thought Tag or Movado were great and they are but to me they just don't touch a Rolex. I like Omega's, Cartier, Breitling (tend to be to aeronautical at times though), IWC, Patek's, Bvlgari, etc but when I get another watch its going to be a Rolex. Theres just something about them when you put them on. I don't have anything real fancy and its style will stand the test of time. Rolex Air King a little $3500 piece.
Attached Images

Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-20-2010, 5:47 PM Reply   
"It's a time piece" Ha, ha, ha..... Good times, my friend, good times.
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-21-2010, 12:03 PM Reply   
I have an Invicta watch, it was my first purchase up from the sub $200 group. I bought it from Shop NBC, it's a little large and gets noticed often. I just could not spend $1,500 or more on a watch.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-21-2010, 1:21 PM Reply   
I look at a Rolex and think "either old man with too much money" or fake. I think the style on them is sort of plain. I have the same Breitling as PLR posted but don't wear it since the battery stopped working. Its over 10 years old and was given to me (used). I currently have a Zodiac and love the style (rugged) and price.

I could never justify spending that much money on a watch.
Old     (awf_axis)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-21-2010, 4:49 PM Reply   
Justification for a real watch

I've been an amateur watch enthusiast for many years now. Did a lot of buying and selling for fun. Worked my way up from a TAG to a selection of watches I now own. TAG 2000 Chronograph (18k/steel), Breitling Aerospace (titanium), Omega Seamaster Chronograph (18k/titanium), a Rolex Submariner (18k/steel) and my most recent, a Panerai Model 90.

Name:  Watches.jpg
Views: 1105
Size:  33.5 KB Name:  Panny.jpg
Views: 1164
Size:  22.4 KB

I've found that most American's put little value in their watches, other than functionality. This is part of the no-nonsense idealism we have here. I travel quite a bit on business, and have found that Europeans and particularly Asians regard the wristwatch as an important accoutrement.

It's very comical how in new meetings, the suit, shoes and watch are inspected before I open my mouth. As a consultant, I found that some illusion of being successful helps the overall process.

However, I sadly find myself doing the same, and have become quite disappointed in our US counterparts within my client base. I roll my eyes when I meet a V.P. wearing some digital Timex (no offense to Timex), an ill-fitting suit and some rubber soled mock dress shoes.

Anyway, there are reasons for some of us to have to invest in these things. One good thing is that they are insured, and keep their value should you need the money down the line.

OPTIONS: Rolex is the most recognizable, but I think a Panerai should be considered. The stigma of being a show-off isn't there because most people who don't know watches won't know the value. On the other hand, anyone who has spent a few thousand or more on any watch will know it, and appreciate that it is both expensive ($5k to $40k) and a collection item. They are limited in production, serialized sets for each model, and hold their value very well. Dressy when fitted in a leather strap, and rugged for everyday use with it's rubber diving strap.

You get both a dress strap and rubber strap in the purchase. It's an Italian watch with a Swiss movement. Some of the original designs used movements from Rolex, although now this is not the case.

Name:  panny1.jpg
Views: 1117
Size:  30.5 KB

If your interested in History, this watch was designed by the company founded by Giovanni Panerai in Florence Italy (I've been to the "so called" original shop, which is a Panerai boutique now). In any event, it was designed for the Italian Navy back in the 1930's. Visualize scuba divers strapped to the outside of a torpedo (not kidding). Panerai was already making Navy instruments since the 1860's, and was asked to make a deep water watch which was big and visible. Panerai came up with this monster watch, using the unique crown seal you see on the side. These were not commercially available until the mid-1990's when Stallone found one, and wore it in one of his movies. He convinced Panerai to try selling it to the public.

The whole recent movement we have now of LARGE watches was influenced by Panerai and the exposure by celebs who started wearing these in the movies. Even Ex-Pres Clinton has one.

** Sorry for the long ramble. Actually enjoying a quiet day in the office with nothing better to do. Now it's time to get some Martini's started.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-25-2010, 2:23 PM Reply   
Another one of my colleges just picked up a Panerai, but this one is a fake.

$100 for the fake. Put them side by side, and you can't tell the difference.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-26-2010, 8:48 PM Reply   
JRod - Are all the Nixons for LEFTYs or is that their style to put the crown on the inside of your wrist?
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-27-2010, 8:37 AM Reply   
I am also a watch enthusiast and will post up some pics tomorrow. Don't get a rolex! Buy something with class!

Here is why I like watches.

No matter what kind of car you drive, what clothing you wear, the hat you have on, boat you have, none of that matters when you meet someone. When you have a nice watch on people notice that.

The only reason why a rolex holds or goes up in value is because of the gold, when the price of gold goes up so does the value of the watch. If you are not planning on selling this watch i would look at your other options.

My favorite watch that I own is the Tag Heuer Moncao.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-27-2010, 8:38 AM Reply   
This will be my next purchase the Monaco v4
Attached Images

Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-27-2010, 8:46 AM Reply   
Enjoy
http://www.smwatches.com/store/
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       05-27-2010, 8:58 AM Reply   
^^^^^sick!
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-27-2010, 11:14 AM Reply   
I didn't realize it's a good thing for people to think I blew five grand on a watch?

I would never invest my money with anyone wearing a Rolex.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-28-2010, 12:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by steezyshots View Post
This will be my next purchase the Monaco v4
Banger - Now that's tight!!!!!

"As a limited edition of just 150 watches the Monaco V4 is a great looking watch..."

The price I found was $80k... Sound right? A Porsche on your wrist.

Kinda cheesy, but there's a LOT going on in that watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7yiGL49Zs0
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-28-2010, 8:31 AM Reply   
Dave, the 51-30s are huge. I think they have to place the dial on the inside so that it doesn't dig into your hand when you're doing pushups. :-)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-28-2010, 8:37 AM Reply   
That watch is $80,000, Riley. The photo biz must be going well! :-)
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-02-2010, 9:44 AM Reply   
The Mortgage biz is back to doing well and that is a collectors piece. I have about $70,000 invested in watches over the last 10 years of collecting so that one piece will more than double my collection.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-04-2010, 6:59 PM Reply   
There are two kinds of watch people, the kind who are concerned about the name, and the kind concerned about the art/science/mechanics in a fine watch. Those who want the name buy the famous brands we all know. They are nice and are recognizable. Those who want a mechanical work of art buy Panerai, Patek, etc.

A modern watch you get for $20 at Walgreens will keep better time. However, the art, science, and mechanics behind trying to make a mechanical device work in perfect time, is really intriguing when you actually read about it. Any force in nature can affect a mechanical watches accuracy. The legnths these designers go through to mechanically offset any variable imaginable (like the rotation of the earth, to the simple swinging of your arm) is just amazing. And to do it in microscopic scale to put in a wristwatch is just true mastery of physics and mechanics in perfect unison. it is like wearing the inner workings of the universe on your wrist. These watches arent flashy at all. Those that know...know, and those that dont need to know, dont. A nice car will gain the attn of a car guy and impress them, while to a non car guy he is a show-off douche in a lambo. Not many things in life that can blow the mind of one guy and be completely ignored by the next.