Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-04-2009, 8:53 AM Reply   
Heya,

I'd like to get on the diesel side of the line. I found one close that looks like a decent deal. It seems to be loaded. Looks like it also has the air bag suspension in the rear.

Anything I should be looking out for? I'd like to go down and make an offer, but what are the gotcha's? It may be chipped, since it looked like it had a screen readout for something like that, but I couldn't get in it this morning at 7am to make sure.

From what I've heard, Ford fixed most of the things wrong with this engine in '06. It also looks like the warranty is good for 5 years or 100,000 miles. This one has 71,000 on it.
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-04-2009, 9:02 AM Reply   
Cant go wrong with a diesel. Altho now you will watch diesel prices like a hawk and not understand why they are at or more expensive then gas when it is essentially a waste product of making gasoline.
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-04-2009, 9:05 AM Reply   
Don't rule out the F-650

Upload
Old     (adam4x4)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-04-2009, 9:07 AM Reply   
I had very bad luck with the 6.0. Ford bought both back from me. The head bolts strech. I now have a 7.3 and love it. I would not buy the truck if it has a programer on it. I will void the warranty. Upload
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-04-2009, 9:11 AM Reply   
Even in 06 Ford has still had many problems with the Diesel engines so you do need to be aware of that.
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-04-2009, 9:12 AM Reply   
Isn't there a website that explains all the issues Ford had in the different years with that 6.0 engine? I sure the hell don't want to buy a lemon. My 03 Expedition has been doing quite well and I wouldn't want to give it up for a bunch of repairs.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-04-2009, 9:15 AM Reply   
06 is what I own and it's a good year. I did my research before buying. They had worked out most of the bugs by then with the Turbos and the EGR.

First thing you want to do is have a Ford mechanic look it over to see if it was chipped. If it was, you can kiss the engine warranty goodbye and quite possibly the powertrain as well. they will also be able to tell you what was done as far as service and warranty. One thing to be careful with is that they can hide the chipping in the ECM by clearing it, but not inside the motor. The chipped engines make a different fuel spray pattern on the piston head and they can tell if they open it up. Ford will absolutely deny all warranty work on chipped motors if they find the spray pattern. Your only real worry on a chipped engine is blowing the head gasket or turbo. Turbos are about 2000 and the head gasket is about 5000.

There are plenty of safe tunes out there, but plenty more that will bust head gaskets. If they put the ARP head studs in then you are probably safe there.

The torqueshift tranny is a beast so no worries there.

My personal opinion is that I would not buy a chipped truck for anything less than a very deep discount. On the order of replacing an engine. You simply cannot tell how hard they ran it and what they pulled with it and what crappy tunes might have been in it. The 06 is a great truck and mine has been flawless. The airbag in the back is real nice. Did it have a gooseneck on it??

I would let them know your concerns and take it to a Ford dealer to verify the warranty and check out the chipped thing. I plan on re-upping my warranty when it expires for another 3 to 5 years for piece of mind.

Any other mods to it?? Lift?? Leveling?? Exhaust??

Usually the exhaust is a dead giveaway that it has been chipped. Note that once the truck is blackballed Ford is done with it. The screen could also just be a simple monitoring thing too, EGT's, Coolant, RPM's, MPG's etc. Many people who haul big loads use these.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-04-2009, 9:20 AM Reply   
www.ford-trucks.com

Their Forums are real nice and alot of helpful people there.

Dieselstop.com also has some great info

Adam, what year is your 7.3??
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-04-2009, 10:29 AM Reply   
'06 F250 with 45k on it, here. Absolutely flawless. I bought it, drove it off the lot, and it's never been back. Not a single warranty issue.

Mines got a programmer on it, but a very mild tune. Still running stock exhaust. I picked up a bit of power and 1-2 MPG's.
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-04-2009, 11:28 AM Reply   
What kind of fuel mileage are you seeing? Mine will typically be a soccer truck for probably 80% of the time. Mostly in town.

Thanks for the info Flux and everyone else. Good to know on the chipping. It didn't look like it had anything done to the exhaust, but it has had a lift kit installed. No goose neck, which I'm actually happy about. Hopefully that means they weren't much in to pulling heavy loads.

The tag on the inside said the warranty was still good, but I'll verify that.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-04-2009, 12:33 PM Reply   
16 in town. 20-21 on the highway. Totally dependent on how fast you drive. Anything over 75 and gas mileage drops like a rock. Down to maybe 17-18.

15-16 towing a boat on flat-ish ground.
Old     (mbouchard)      Join Date: May 2006       09-04-2009, 1:21 PM Reply   
We brought ours to the Ford dealer and they ran a report of everything Ford dealers had done to that truck - it was very interesting. If there have been no problems with it since new - it will probably be a great truck. We have an '06 - no problems with it whatsoever. We had an '05 before and had some issues.
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-04-2009, 1:30 PM Reply   
This is the rig I'm looking at.

http://buyuzed.com/vehicledetails.aspx?VID=103196490

Does a dealer charge to look up the work done? I would imagine they would charge to see if it had been chipped or not.

My expedition averages 14.6 city/highway This would be a nice boost. Tow the boat and it drops below 10.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-04-2009, 1:42 PM Reply   
The little screen is a systems monitor, many folks like them because the dash gauges don't tell you anything and it calcs your fuel much more accurately. Get the Ford report and check for chipping. Otherwise it looks like it has a leveling kit or tiny bit of lift, nice tires, and the chrome package. Sweet ride. Mine is the 250 lariat FX4 all stock except for better tires.

The thing with these trucks is that they either are gems or lemons.

Gotta go, time to pop the SANTE on the hitch and head out to the river for the long weekend. Good luck with that ride, it'll pull a wakeboat like it's barely even there!!
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-04-2009, 1:44 PM Reply   
PS- I have the same floor mats!! those are great.

One last blah blah. I bought this truck for safety for me and the family while hauling. It's been great in that regard, always in control and plenty of power to get away from traffic snafu's on the highway.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-04-2009, 2:07 PM Reply   
Be glad it has been bagged. I don't know why Ford and Chevy have such soft suspension in the rear for a work truck. It also comes level so with the soft springs and level truck, any load makes the nose point up...along with your headlights. I guess I'm partial to my 07 Dodge Mega Cab 2500 diesel. I will say that Ford does have nice interior design/layout.
Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-04-2009, 3:44 PM Reply   
That appears to be an Edge programmer. Like stated above if it is a small tune not such a big deal, but the big tunes are what really destroy those motors. A guy I used to work for had an 04 with a small tune, exhaust and intake and it is still going strong at 230000+miles. It really is hit or miss.
Old     (bcoutsfly)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-04-2009, 7:12 PM Reply   
www.powerstroke.org
www.powerstrokehelp.com

All the information you'll ever need for these trucks.
Old     (ctimrun)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-04-2009, 11:28 PM Reply   
I would not buy a Ford 6.0 that has had a programmer on it. The dealers can tell, if they don't already have it in their system, they will when you take it to them for a warranty issue. I would stay away from anything but the newest 6.0's as they had a ton of problems.

There are deals to be had on any diesel truck right now, don't get hung up on one truck in particular. If I was going to buy a used one right now I would find a Dodge Mega Cab with a 5.9 Cummins in it, they are rock solid.

I have an 08 Dodge Mega but it has the 6.7 engine in it. I have had no problems and I love the transmission/exhaust brake combo in it, but I have heard of a few problems with them due to the emissions garbage that are on them. Mine does pretty good mpg, hand calculated I get 20 highway (65 mph or under) and 14 towing my boat (65 or under).

With any vehicle, especially the diesels the key to good mileage is to keep your foot out of it. If I drive or tow at 75 plus (which is very easy to do without realizing) the mpg's drop like fat chicks in dodge ball.
Old     (mrcerretti)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-05-2009, 6:13 AM Reply   
Mine.......06 F250. programmer since 20k, just had head gasket and head studs done under warranty at $92k. You can buy mine if you would like,

MC

[IMG]http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg205/mrcerretti/img119.jpg[/IMG]
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-05-2009, 6:17 AM Reply   
The cummins may be solid but the dodge truck is a pile of scrap metal.The rattles from the door panels alone are enough to drive me insane.
I opted for the 7.3 because its bullet proof but unfortunatly it couldn't keep up with smog demands hence the 6.0.It was rushed into production and had many flaws like the compression leaking into the coolant and f---ing things up.They also had problems with injectors and I have even seen a bent pushrod.Of course people treat these trucks like crap and squirt deisel to them like a garden hose.
My suggestion would be to find a one owner adult owned gem and never look back.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-05-2009, 7:33 AM Reply   
my dad has an 06 350 diesel
He loves it. tows out boat like nothing is there, tons of power, plus it looks great
Upload
Old     (bcoutsfly)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-05-2009, 11:41 AM Reply   
+1 on Dodge. The Cummins is an outstanding engine but a Dodge will fall apart around it. Most Dodge owners will admit that they only bought the truck because of the engine.

I have an 03 7.3 as well, I couldn't be happier. I have 170k on the motor with no problems other than one bad injector replaced.

If were you Id go for a later 6.0 or a late, low mileage 7.3. That's just me though.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-05-2009, 1:14 PM Reply   
Brock that's funny, have you actually ever owned one. I have owned a few and they have been nothing but rock solid. The ford trucks I've had I couldn't say the same about.
Old     (99sportster)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-05-2009, 3:59 PM Reply   
I bought a used 2005 F250 a couple years ago and have had a couple issues fixed under warranty.

Get an oasis report (list of work done by dealership) by calling a Ford dealership with the VIN or ask if someone on ford forums will check for you. I'd be wary of buying a truck with a programmer especially with a stock exhaust due to the potential damage from higher than normal exhaust gas temps. You can also buy the extended engine warranty to 7 yrs/200,000 miles for peace of mind.
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-05-2009, 9:32 PM Reply   
Yup. Going to avoid any rig I can tell easily that they've had the programmer. The rig I posted above was a pile of crap. In fact I looked at 5 of them and every one of them was a pile. Didn't seem like anyone is really taking care of these rigs like I try to take care of mine.

I'd like to find that one owner rig out there. Problem is I need to either sell or trade my Expedition in first. Would love to find an 05 Excursion diesel. Have heard decent things about them.
Old     (mortbike)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-05-2009, 11:06 PM Reply   
this may be an 06 but it may have an 05 motor, my 06 has an 05 motor, been through 2 turbos, high pressure fuel pump,egr, check the engine build date on pass. side valve cover. i have 98,000 miles waiting to see the 2010 dodge ram 2500 cummins. if i keep the truck i will replace head bolts with arp head bolts and do the egr delete. my truck has no mods other than afe intake and afe exhaust. good luck
Old     (chasenm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-06-2009, 7:03 AM Reply   
If I were you I would go with the 7.3 powerstroke. I have an 02' and ask anyone, that is the best motor Ford put out. It is indestructible.
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-07-2009, 7:50 AM Reply   
My son posted the pix of our boat and truck above. It is a 2006 Ford F-350. I have 85,000 miles on it and it runs awesome, no problems. I drove a friends 2008 6.4 it has less power and worse gas mileage. I get 17 on the freeway and towing I usually get 14.5. I have also driven the 7.3 motor and yes it is the best of the Ford motors. I drove a 2006 Dodge before buying the Ford. It felt like it topped out at 70 no more power after that point. As for the Chevy I sat in one when I was truck shopping in 2006. I am 6'5" and my kids are tall. My daughter and I sat in the front and we definitely could not get a third in the front seat. So I bought the ford lots of room and comfort it pulls our 6,00 pound boat like it is not there. Find a good used 7.3 if not go with the 6.0. Good luck and let us know what you got.
Don
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       09-07-2009, 2:18 PM Reply   
2006 f-350 its went throu a trans and and head gasket, but its worth it, now has 65,000 miles. i would buy a 6.0 just get 500$ head studs and your set, great truck but the 7.3 i had better luck with thats for sure. 145,000 and i only went through a starter, but im really rough on my trucks :-)
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-08-2009, 8:23 AM Reply   
When was the last year they made the 7.3? I'm assuming it was 2003?
Old     (kmcginty)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-08-2009, 10:25 AM Reply   
SOME OF THE 03'S HAD THE 7.3, ALOT HAVE THE 6.0.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-08-2009, 2:13 PM Reply   
If I recall correctly, some of the 03's with the 7.3 also got the improved tranny as well. That would be a good ride to have.
Old     (bcoutsfly)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-08-2009, 2:21 PM Reply   
Nope, all of the 99-03 7.3's have the 4R100 transmission. It's a great transmission but as soon as you add big tires and a chip or programmer, it'll say peace out.
Old     (dan_lee)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-10-2009, 11:41 AM Reply   
Shawn- I've owned about 12 Ford diesels, my one word of advice is to always have it under warranty. They offer a killer aftermarket warranty that waives the $100 deduct and is good from 100,000-200,000 miles for only $1900.

Also, if you're interested I'm putting mine up for sale for pretty much what you were looking at that one at buyuzed.org for (mine is a lariat, lifted, has intake, exhaust, alpine screen/dvd/ipod control, component speakers and sub)72k miles. email me from my profile if interested.

Upload
Old     (tigerider20v)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-10-2009, 9:37 PM Reply   
I have an 06 f250 bought new. I had a 6 inch lift with 35's put on before it hit the driveway. Hypertech (mild economy setting only) programmer at 15k. The programmer did nothing to the gas economy but got rid of turbo lag and added a little power. I love my truck, it has more cab room then the chevy and the dodge in my opinion has crappy interior and is very uncomfortable. Btw it is a lariet 4wd. Ford sent me a letter about a year ago saying that you need to keep the tires at proper air levels because they have had complaints about front end shake. I have had this and air pressure doesn't fix this, they did say to take it to a dealer and it will be taken care of.

Other then that it has been a real work horse! You can't beat a ford, sorry dodge guys
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-11-2009, 5:54 AM Reply   
that 06 is a good looking truck, cant deny that. but people chiming in with i got 65k trouble free miles, there are yugo owners that said that.
Old     (dan_lee)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-11-2009, 7:14 AM Reply   
thats why I mentioned always keep it under warranty. between 20-40K I had it in the shop on 3 seperate ocassions for over a month each time. It has been trouble free for the last year and a half though now that the bugs are worked out.

Chris- did you fix the shake? Steering stabilizer(s) is a band-aid that cures the problem
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-11-2009, 7:45 AM Reply   
Upload i liked the way the 06 looked better so i did this.
Old     (deminimis)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-11-2009, 9:27 AM Reply   
Don't forget about the diesel vans. A 7.3 1ton+ 4x4 Sportsmobile is a good puller (no innercooler in van's with a 7.3, but the van makes up for it with storage, microwave, sleeping for four, fridge, etc.). At least it might be something worth considering (not selling mine though).
Upload
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-11-2009, 10:31 AM Reply   
That's the ultimate set-up right there. I'd love to have one of those for dirtbike trips.

My truck has the front end shake problem, as did my bosses. He put a steering stabilizer on his and cured the problem. I've been a bit lazy, but will be doing the stabilizer when I get tires before winter. I'm pretty sure it's really only an issue on the trucks with 20" wheels, as they're really heavy.

Otherwise... such a great truck. I love the size. The extra width in the bed is great when you're putting 3 dirtbikes in the back, and it comfortably seats 6 adults. People are regularly amazed with how much leg room there is in the back.

Basically, these trucks are monsters. Solid front axles. Huge interior. Big bed. I've taken mine to some nasty places in some nasty weather and it gobbles it all up. It's the truck that I plan to keep for a looooong time.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-11-2009, 4:49 PM Reply   
Soooooooooooooo jealous of the diesel sportsmobiles.

That's a sick one right there De minimis. Extended 4x4 with the pop top and the 7.3.....Drool.
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-14-2009, 10:57 AM Reply   
Looked at an 03. Real clean truck, but it had the 6.0. Wish it had the 7.3. Still looking.
Old     (pronuke)      Join Date: Apr 2009       09-14-2009, 12:44 PM Reply   
My father in law has a 6.0 in his 06 ford crew cab 350 and hasn't been in the dealership with it yet, single owner brand new off the lot, added a chip, upgraded exhaust, air intake, leveling kit and 35's. He owns a construction company and consistently tows about 7000 lbs with it and the worse thing about the damm truck is the gas mileage. Wouldn't mine owning it myself if he ever sold it but would probably replace the exhaust the thing sounds like a jet engine and is annoying.
Old     (deminimis)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-14-2009, 12:48 PM Reply   
Thanks Flux!

Evan, the steering stabilizer might just mask your problem. Might try getting the front end up and get under there to see where the slop is. Wasn't paying attention to what you're running (IFS with coils or a solid front axle), but ball joints, knuckles, etc. are a good place to start. The death shake is not unheard of with IFS rigs. Even had the death shake on a solid axle once (loose ball joints). Even a worn rod end can give you fits. Good luck with that and sorry for the hijack Shawn.
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-15-2009, 12:53 PM Reply   
Well. This is the next candidate. Emailed them, but haven't heard back yet. May just call em.

http://tinyurl.com/qt9vlr
Old     (mnwake476)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-15-2009, 1:56 PM Reply   
check on the drivers said exhaust manifold for an egt probe if there is one there than the truck has more than likely been chipped. I never found out that my truck had a chip in it until a year later when i found the probe.
Old     (pronuke)      Join Date: Apr 2009       10-21-2009, 11:16 AM Reply   
Hey Shawn if you havent found a rig yet and since you are in the same area as me. Take a look at this truck, not sure as far as functionality wise how good of a decision it is but I would consider it if I was looking for a truck right now.

http://kpr.craigslist.org/cto/1422168873.htmlUpload
Upload
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       11-08-2009, 8:48 PM Reply   
the van is killer!!!
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-09-2009, 8:36 AM Reply   
The listing was flagged for removal. :-) What was the price? I would have needed a bed. It's going to be a soccer mom type of truck.

Hey Dan, did you ever sell your truck?
Old     (dan_lee)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-09-2009, 10:43 AM Reply   
nope, suprisingly had a few guys email me from on here. I thought somebody wanted it pretty bad a few weeks ago and he never got back to me. I haven't listed it for sale because I'll be wanting to make sure I have it for the next 3-4 months (towing season lol). Unfortunately I found and nice lifted '08 I would have bought if mine would have sold.

I just haven't had a car payment in like 4 years and if I upgraded at the moment I'd be taking on a payment.
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-09-2009, 3:58 PM Reply   
Dan,

That's a great looking truck! Not that it make a difference but I would have been interested but I just bought an 09 F250. I'm in the process of figuring out if I want to lift it and change rims and tires. What size lift do you have? What would you recommend? I thinking about doing all that then starting on the engine.....feedback would be appreciated!
Chris
Old     (dan_lee)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-10-2009, 7:51 AM Reply   
Thanks Chris. It's all about what you want to spend. Some guys spend $100 on a leveling kit and manage to squeeze 35s on there, others drop $6000 on the coilover conversion (by fabtech).

My setup is a 8" superlift (totally middle of the road, nothing special) with airbags in the rear to adjust height and stiffness for towing. I run 37x13.50 tires on 22" wheels.

You can run 37s on a 6" lift pretty easy & my '04 ran 38x15.5s with 8" of lift as well. I'd run that size tire again but it's not available for a 22.

Here is a good link that shows pretty much everything out there. I've owned about 10 lifted superduty & Excursions and I've been the most impressed with the Icon lift, never had the pleasure to run the Fabtech coilover or Rize kit but I know a lot about suspension and I'd be willing to bet they are worth every penny.
http://www.topguncustomz.com/Store/products.php?S_ID=3811

I ran chase at an offroad race and my truck is extremely rough compared to how my prerunner explorer can handle rough terrain so if you're going to be doing any off roading at all buy the best and cry once.
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-10-2009, 11:20 AM Reply   
Shawn....what was the 06 going for? Mine has 72k and no major problems...
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-10-2009, 4:29 PM Reply   
Thecause of all the headgaskets problems is not chiping. I know of 4 different people that have been through the blown head gasket problem of all different years. None chiped. Lots of info at www.powerstrokehelp.com all the info you need is in his videos.
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-10-2009, 5:42 PM Reply   
Dan,

I was looking at running a 6 inch lift with 20 inch rims with 33's or 35's. So obviously the superlift's look more reasonable price wise, my question now is, what kind of shocks to get? I assume airbags are more to add on? What's the advantage to doing that? Also, I just watched one of the videos on the powerstrokehelp.com about bigger tire size eating up the transmission! Is this a common problem? Thanks again

Chris
Old     (dan_lee)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-10-2009, 7:54 PM Reply   
I have replacement rear leaf springs as well. They ride better but sag when towing so I added air-lift bags. Bags were another $500 or so.

I had the superlift remote res shocks which were built by bilstein but went with the Icon shocks when one of mine blew out. I can honestly say for $100 a shock it improved the ride of my truck.

I have no preference in shocks but ICON used to be Donahoe racing (before they found a bunch of kiddie porn on the owner's computer) and sadly had a nice product. As much as I don't want to support a company like that, the employees pooled together and started ICON. The ICON is also built by bilstein but I believe they worked a lot together on the valving. I can't say enough good things about trucks I have driven with ICON suspension. They (as does fabtech) have a history in desert racing which means they do more than just make trucks tall.

Go 35s for sure, 33's are too small, and the older powerstrokes were notorious for transmission failure but the torqshift has been pretty tough to beat. I'd find your way over to like powerstroke.org or the above mentioned sites and see what you like.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-11-2009, 4:56 AM Reply   
tires that big need a gear swap. something in the low 5:s imo
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       11-11-2009, 5:02 AM Reply   
Add a programmer intake and pipe to a 7.3 and you will understand why they drop transmissions.My truck is scary fast and feels like it could do some serious damage so we keep it turned down.However most failures are self inflicted four low power launches.
We also change our fluid every few oil changes.
Old     (dan_lee)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-11-2009, 7:12 AM Reply   
882001- Low 5s would be way lower gearing than stock. Totally not necessary.

I've owned a 7.3 Excursion on 37s with 4.56s and my current truck has 37s with stock 3.73 gears. Although the 4.56s were nice and mileage was a little better I did the math and would need to put something like 65,000 miles to justify the cost.

I totally understand the need for gears in trucks with the gas engine as the transmission will still keep searching and jumping around for gears but I've never had a problem. I tow my offroad truck fully loaded at 70-80 mph with the cruise on and never have a problem, including mountains.

This information is coming from a guy who has towed trucks, boats and toyhaulers. Probably close to 40,000 miles towing over the past 5 years.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-11-2009, 10:39 AM Reply   
Chris, definitely go at least 35's with a 6". Maybe even 37's. Stock tire size on my F250 with 20" wheels worked out to 34". When I changed my wheels I stayed with the 34's. They fit perfect on a stock height truck. My boss went to 33's on his stock truck and IMO they're too short.

Regearing isn't necessary until you get into the 37" territory and even still I probably wouldn't do it until you start towing heavy loads with your lifted truck.

I've hear very few trans problems on the later trucks. As far as I know, those tranny's are as stout as anything out there. I just did my first fluid change at 45k and the fluid that came out was perfectly clean. I'm pretty easy on my truck as far as towing heavy loads, but I definitely drive it (it's got a light tune and I like to exploit it on occasion).

As for the 6.0 engine problems... They seem to be pretty well documented. So far my '06 has been rock solid. When it doesn have issues I've already been told by my dealer to preorder the head studs so they can install them for me.

Here's a pic of mine with 34's.
Upload
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-11-2009, 1:52 PM Reply   
All depends what you pull I guess. I pull an 11,000 lb travel trailer. 4:56 would work. High 5s would be 36-38s.
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-11-2009, 6:53 PM Reply   
So sounds like 35's with 20 inch rims and a 6 inch lift seems best! Would love to go with maybe 37's but I hate to start to screw with trans. Evan, that truck is pretty damn sharp looking. Does it have a lift? I guess the most towing that I do is to the lakehouse during the summer and its close to 3.5 hours away. Love my diesel and now I know that I will never go back to gas....thanks for all the input, you guys rock. Hell, it always nice to have friends that agree with you for wanting to spend a few thousand of dollars
Old     (adam4x4)      Join Date: Jan 2009       11-11-2009, 7:10 PM Reply   
i run 37's on all my trucks, had an 05 with 6" and 06 with 8" and my 03 with 9". the 6" rub in the front bad. i do not know if the 09 is differnt or not. all trucks have 4.10 gears and pulled my 40' toy hauler fine. there a pic of my o3 in this post
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-11-2009, 7:16 PM Reply   
Chris it's all stock right down to the tire size. The only thing I changed were the wheels (which I went from a 8" wide to a 9" wide)

Another thing to be on the lookout for is the wheel offset. That can make the biggest difference in terms of clearance in the front when the wheels are turned. Like I said earlier, my boss went to 33's on his truck, but with wider tires (305's) and a 10" rim. It's got a lot more offset and even though the wheels are actually shorter they rub when turned.

A 4" should clear most 35's (no matter the offset). A 6" should clear no matter what.

Make sure to post the pics when you get it done. I love my diesel. Big, comfortable and is great in the mountains or towing.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-12-2009, 4:46 AM Reply   
40 ft 5th wheel? w/ a srw? way over pin weight! and over the weight rating of any e rated tire.
i wish my truck had a 4:11 insted of the 3:73. with my (31")285s, but gonna move to (33")305s, my truck has no problem pulling the load but do worry about the tranny when 1000k miles from home. either way im not trying to argue, i wanna put the 20s off a new truck{33"} on my truck but dont want wheel spacers. gonna have the torque converter swaped out to a 5 star and go with that
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-12-2009, 8:53 AM Reply   
The 06 I was looking at was going for $25900. It had 72K miles on it too.

Still looking. Haven't found that perfect truck yet. Kinda nice not being in a hurry though. Makes it so emotion isn't involved in buying.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-12-2009, 9:00 AM Reply   
This looks nice.. I am sure it is a scam or they left a number off of the front.

http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/1462722365.html
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-12-2009, 9:41 AM Reply   
Alan,

HA! Nice profile pic. :-) I'd assume someone was smokin' crack on that price and description. Why even bother putting it up on CL?
Old     (adam4x4)      Join Date: Jan 2009       11-13-2009, 12:48 PM Reply   
the load rating on my toyo's are 4300 lbs per tire on my 37/13.5r17 it handles better than my brothers dully on 35's when pulling my 40' 5th wheel
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-14-2009, 6:07 PM Reply   
Ok, finally have the woman talked into a 6 inch lift, 20's, and still debating on tire size....thinking 35's! Only sad part is...I have to wait until after the wedding which isn't until next June........going to be a long winter! Thanks for all the suggestions and help
Chris
Old     (dan_lee)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-16-2009, 7:25 AM Reply   
Getting married next June myself so I know how that goes. Sounds like you need to experience a self induced blowout and a need to replace those unsafe tire
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-16-2009, 10:34 AM Reply   
Ha, ha, ha... That's how I got the new wheels run through the approval dept. I needed new tires before the snow season. Might as well order them all mounted up on new wheels, right?

Good luck with your wait Chris. Post pics when it's done.
Old     (brianmiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-16-2009, 12:26 PM Reply   
Here is my new ride. It's an 05 w/ a 6" lift and 37's. I had been looking for a long time and in a weeks period had one slip through my hands then found this. I test drove the first one within 30 minutes of the guy posting on craigslist, told him I would call him the next day, but he sold it that night. Found this one later in the week and jumped on it. A nice added bonus was the stereo system. He listed it as having a $8,000 stereo and I never even turned it on when I test drove it. Turns out he probably wasn't kidding. Upload
Old     (pronuke)      Join Date: Apr 2009       02-10-2010, 10:27 AM Reply   
Not sure if your still looking and this might not even be what your looking for, but I have an 2008 F350 Superduty Lariat up for sale right now on Craigslist. Looking to sell locally in the Oregon/Washington area.

http://kpr.craigslist.org/cto/1591500923.html

Easiest way to reach me is via the craigslist ad since I can get those emails at work.
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-10-2010, 10:56 AM Reply   
Still looking but not very hard at all. The Expedition is doing good enough, so the diesel is more of a want than a need.

Nice truck but it's more than I need or can afford. Good luck on the sale. Could I ask why you're selling it?
Old     (pronuke)      Join Date: Apr 2009       02-10-2010, 12:12 PM Reply   
It actually was purchased by my father in law for his company. The company isnt doing very well right now so he is trying to sell it quickly. Thats why its got the fuel tank, rack and truckbox. Also since he always has to have the flashiest stuff his trucks tend to have every single option on them. He also is a little OCD, in fact when I worked for him and we had slow days I washed his truck, usually about 3-4 times a week plus waxing.

Its also more than I need (you can never have too much) or can afford or I would have bought it myself.
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-10-2010, 1:05 PM Reply   
Hey, now I remember you. I invited you out a few times last year but you were busy with the refueling. You should come out this year. I'm going to need a few new riders. Some took off to school and such. :-)
Old     (pronuke)      Join Date: Apr 2009       02-10-2010, 1:50 PM Reply   
I will have to hit you up for some pulls. I picked up a new 146 Hyperlite last year(yes Im a big guy at 6'6") but only used it once with my work schedule. This summer should be interesting since my family just went from 2 to 4 with the birth of my twin boys on Christmas Morning.