Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       01-08-2009, 11:43 AM Reply   
http://www.axiswake.com/
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       01-08-2009, 12:46 PM Reply   
all we need is pictures of the wake.
Old     (turbonine)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-08-2009, 12:59 PM Reply   
Someone needs to get this boat in the water.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-08-2009, 2:13 PM Reply   
Gotta love Randall... but that YouTube video was... painful.

I saw the boat at the Portland boat show and was impressed. But I'm very curious why a boat would be launched that is supposed to be all about the wake... yet doesn't show one...? And video of Randall "driving" the boat while being towed through a parking lot...while the boat is... still on the trailer???
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-08-2009, 2:14 PM Reply   
The link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv-OYr6bBf0&feature=channel_page
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-08-2009, 2:21 PM Reply   
The boat doesn't come standard with that trailer does it? I would rather save a couple grand and skip the SS fenders and 20's.
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-08-2009, 3:36 PM Reply   
That video is hilarious. It makes me wonder if the boat even floats!! I'm not bashing; just think its funny.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-08-2009, 3:41 PM Reply   
Randall is not really Mr. Salesman
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-08-2009, 4:06 PM Reply   
there was some great lines in that vid.
off the top was, "2 finger action, unhhh" lol nice pimpin!
"cruising with the fan or a significant other"
"check out my 20's"

vandel's the man, that was great!!!!

i could gt use to the new hull design but im over all this flip around seat stuff. led funky lights with cut out tribal looking designs in the seat bases. just not a classy looking boat like a vlx, its simple but gaudy looking imo.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-08-2009, 5:33 PM Reply   
"They aint 20's but I keeps em clean" Which Friday was that?
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-08-2009, 6:03 PM Reply   
I bet my ass that hull is the same as the 08' V-ride that was a Wakesetter before. So for use it throws a great wake.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       01-08-2009, 11:12 PM Reply   
I like Vandalls riding for sure and he is one of my favorite wakeboards to watch, but that youtube footage was hard to watch. I couldn't even finish it.

I'm sorry that boat is ugly and cheap looking. He might as well ride for Reinell Boats. Wrong turn at that cross road.
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-09-2009, 6:28 AM Reply   
Snapout carpet, LEDs everywhere, fancy new seating configs, nice stereo, 20s on the trailer.

I think they are doing too much with this boat. If it's supposed to be a "core" boat why does it have all this extra it? Just have ballast, wedge, and tower. I think they are setting themselves up to canibalize Malibu sales with a boat like this in the high $30k's range.

starting a new company only helps if overall revenue and net income go UP for Malibu, right?

What is the business strategy they are seeing?
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-09-2009, 6:46 AM Reply   
I agree that the video was hard to watch. Not sure the prep time Randall had before he did that video. But, IMO the prep time wasn't enough but he did make a few good points about the boat.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-09-2009, 7:04 AM Reply   
I'll bet he hadn't even ridden behind the boat when it was filmed. Jeez was that bad.
Old     (mctc)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-09-2009, 8:28 AM Reply   
what an idiot....

For an entry level boat there sure are quite a few non-essential features. Especially 20's on the trailer, and LED cockpit lights.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-09-2009, 8:37 AM Reply   
The best part of that boat is the trailer JACK. Sorry but when Randy show's off the boat he comes off like the White verson of Will Castro from Unique Whip's
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-09-2009, 10:22 AM Reply   
I usually don't get into the boat war or put down other boats....but c'mon...Stadium seating, basement/playpen bow, plug and play ballast, pricepoint boat...

They should be paying Skier's Choice royalties.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-09-2009, 7:25 PM Reply   
Agree with NAW. I've seen it, funky if you like. Buy it if you really want to be different. Appealing to younger generation?

Axis felt cheap to me. At that price I'll take a Moomba Outback V all day everyday. IMO Moomba is more Malibu, Axis is more Bayliner.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-09-2009, 7:47 PM Reply   
Someone needs to show me an invoice on an axis loaded like the one in the video. Just like the X2 of yesteryear, they will find you can't do all that and make enough to support the company. I think MC found that out a few years ago. People just won't buy it if it is too stripped down.

They have them at the boatshows, right? Is there someone who took a pic of the advertised price on any one specific boat?
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-09-2009, 7:54 PM Reply   
Tall-I didn't take a pic, but the one I saw at the boat show was advertised for $45k or $46k IIRC.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-09-2009, 8:40 PM Reply   
even though it is from 06' this is price point
vdrive boat = 30k
add "moomba" tower and ballast 32k
do it yourself a little less... you have a full on NEW wakeboard boat for 32k

http://www.nisswamarine.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?veh=36965&
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-09-2009, 9:01 PM Reply   
Houston boat show price.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (deltadave)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-09-2009, 9:08 PM Reply   
Ok. This is now 2009. That Moomba was an 06 on a single axle with basically no options. How much does an 09 price out for with tandem, ballasts, wake plate, Perfect Pass and Tower?
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-10-2009, 7:01 AM Reply   
2009 Moomba Outback V (smallest)$34,995 with 325 EFI

2009 Moomba XLV (biggest) $45,995 The XLV is one of the biggest wakes and interiors on the market.

No brainer as to which brand is closer to "price point"
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-10-2009, 7:28 AM Reply   
Just Just got off the phone with a local moomba dealer, he said
2009 Outback V - Tower - Ballast - PP -- Trailer
Boat show price of low 30's pending options
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-10-2009, 7:57 AM Reply   
Aaron,

Thanks for the pics, and a confirmation of price. If that is advertised, it will be interesting to see if you can even get a little less than that, or if this is a 'no dickering' price.

That looks pretty sweet with the 2 Malibus up above, BTW. Almost scary, but cool nonetheless.

(Message edited by talltigeguy on January 10, 2009)
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-10-2009, 1:34 PM Reply   
I like the design and layout of the boat, but those colors are terrible. They should have done a solid color or something without white, theres way too much going on with the colors.
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-10-2009, 1:50 PM Reply   
I climbed around this boat at the Houston Boat Show. It felt really solid to me and I have to say that I am excited to see wake pics. I have to agree that at $45K I would much rather have an XLV. I have ridden behind the XLV several times and the wake is big for sure and the boat can handle a ton of weight.

I think the Axis is going to have an outstanding wake also though. Especially with the wedge and plug and play additional ballast.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-10-2009, 2:32 PM Reply   
Way to much going on with the colors? There's like 3 colors there...
Old     (deltadave)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-10-2009, 2:39 PM Reply   
Hey Mike. Someone said the windshield was glued on at that Show. Any truth in that? Maybe they should have continued the lower side bar of the tower into the windshield to make it look better. Just a thought.
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-10-2009, 2:49 PM Reply   
Dave,

I didn't notice that it was glued. I didn't tug or push on it though. I have a habit of pushing on boat parts to see how well they are put together. I did push on the tower to see if it would shake, it didn't. It seemed really solid and I was surprised at how well it seemed to be put together. I pushed and pulled on the cleats, handrails, etc. and they were solid. The one thing that stood out to me the most was that there is only one tracking fin. I wonder how well they will hold when fully loaded with extra ballast and a bunch of folks. The gelcoat had some minor flaws. It looked like cellulite in areas. The seat cushions and interior materials looked and felt to be made of high quality materials. They seemed better than the Moombas that I have been in. (this is not a bash Moomba owners). I didn't care much for the seat bases, although I admit I did not lift the seats up to see how they were constructed. Overall, it felt pretty well put together.

I think all new wakeboats should have plug and play ballast. I bet it wins innovation of the year. Great system.
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       01-10-2009, 5:26 PM Reply   
If it's going to be dang near $50K...which the above post indiates...there are a ton of other boats out there. I mean seriously an X-1 is a proven boat that is right there, there are even supras as moombas there and cheaper. I can't believe this makes any sense for the parent company. I do not believe that it will add sales for the company.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-11-2009, 7:53 AM Reply   
Upload
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-11-2009, 9:00 AM Reply   
I'm just going to throw this out there. I would almost guarantee that the Moomba Outback V won't throw a wake even close to the Axis.

I'd take the Axis before the Outback any day. Maybe a better comparison would be the Mobius LSV.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-11-2009, 9:22 AM Reply   
The out back is not a fair comparison. The lsv or xlv would be fair. The fit and finish on the axis is not as good as the moomba either.
Old     (hehateme)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-11-2009, 9:26 AM Reply   
That price they told me at the boat show was for that boat, and that boat was loaded with all the options.
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-11-2009, 9:43 AM Reply   
At $46K a better comparison may be the XLV. I would bet that it throws a wake as good as the Axis, and can carry all your friends.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-11-2009, 1:14 PM Reply   
Love the XLV and LSV. They seem more refined than the Axis.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-11-2009, 1:54 PM Reply   
By Dave (deltadave) Maybe they should have continued the lower side bar of the tower into the windshield to make it look better. Just a thought.

Any flex in the tower would most likely crack the glass if they were connected in a solid mount. I suspect they would need to use some sort of thick rubber mount between the tower & windshield to keep stresses going from the tower into the windshield frame.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-11-2009, 5:20 PM Reply   
I suspect reality will give a swift backhand to the face of Axis and we will see this entry price drop over the next couple years. I mean, $45k is not an entry level boat by any means. You can buy an X1 (full disclosure:I own one) for $45k!!!!
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-11-2009, 8:41 PM Reply   
This is just silly calling this a inexpensive boat. Moomba and Sangers are the same price and aren't calling their pricing cheap. Gotta do better than that for a low price especially if your stuff is cheap and missing half your windshield. I agree that boat prices are going to drop here this year and in the next few and how is Axis gonna fit in then? I wish them good luck this is some bad timing for a product launch.
Old     (longhornfan)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-12-2009, 3:29 PM Reply   
46,500 and it's loaded. I don't see the problem with the price on that at all. Just curious, why does it seem like the Skier's Choice crowd is piling on the most here? Is it just a preemptive strike before there are Axis owners on here claiming their boat to be superior or what?
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-12-2009, 4:06 PM Reply   
Kenneth,

I don't see the Skiers choice peeps are out in high numbers. I posted a Moomba response and I don't even own one. To a lot of people 46K is a lot of money. I think people are just saying that if you can get a XLV with a pro level capable wake for the same price, and it seats 16, that the Axis suddenly looks a little overpriced for a entry level budget build boat.
Old     (longhornfan)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-12-2009, 4:29 PM Reply   
I'm also curious if that price included the additional plug and play ballast. If so, you're looking at a boat that comes with almost 2200 pounds of ballast that's already plumbed in and wired plus a power wedge. It's loaded as far as stereo options tower speakers and board racks. I guess I'm just not seeing any other boats out there that are completely loaded on tandem axle trailers with a Malibu VLX type wake, at least from what other posters have said, for about 45000. Do any of the Moombas have hard tanks mounted under the floor?

I'd have loved to see an entry level v-drive boat for 30-35k with hard ballast, tandem axle trailer, tower and cruise control. I'd have loved it about a year ago that is before I bought my boat. Now that I've got mine that Axis priced at 30-35 would just drive down the value of my boat right along with every one else who bought their boats between 2005-2008 weather it was a Master Craft, Malibu or a Moomba.

For those looking for a new price point boat with a tower and loaded with options. That boat's been there for years. It's called an I/O.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-12-2009, 5:34 PM Reply   
For the money they are asking. I was not impressed with the fit and finish. That boat should be priced at 35k loaded. If you have a chance to really look one over do it. Then post up a response. The ballast and wedge is the best part of that boat.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-12-2009, 6:47 PM Reply   
I own a MC.

Kenneth, I believe it has the floating wedge, not the power wedge.
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-12-2009, 7:05 PM Reply   
price point imo <40k
Axis imo = fugly
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-12-2009, 8:01 PM Reply   
i talked with a afriend who was in the boat when randall had his test boat last week and according to my friends randall said that he couldnt tell the difference between the axis wake and the vlx wake
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-12-2009, 8:11 PM Reply   
I feel a little dumber after watching that video.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-12-2009, 8:33 PM Reply   
You don't honestly think that Randal would talk negative about his sponsor do you. That is part of his job. It may create a sweet wake but that does not make up for every thing else it lacks.
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-12-2009, 9:56 PM Reply   
that boat looks so cheap. i will never own one.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-16-2009, 6:37 AM Reply   
Saw it at the boat show... and that's all I have to say about that.
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       01-16-2009, 6:43 AM Reply   
I got the price here in Alberta Canada. They are selling for 53K-57K Canadian dollars. It is the same price as a V-Ride.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-16-2009, 8:03 AM Reply   
It is clearly winter time. Let's bash a new player in our industry!! So many people coming out of the woodwork and rushing to dis the Axis. It's a boat people, it can't be all things for all people.

It seems that everyone is pissed about it's "price-point" status. Either it's not good enough or it's not cheap enough. Can't we all agree that Axis doesn't claim to be the best or first anything? They offer a boat priced along with the Moomba's, X-1 & V-Ride. They also offer some options from the top of the line boats.

Since the hull is based off the '05-'08 VLX, I see no reason that Randall would be speaking false when discussing the wakes similarities. Look at all the accolades for DWilliams boat on the recent VLX thread, the Axis has 3k of the 5k that made that wake. Maybe it's me but what the hell do you people want from a boat? Damn I'm glad it's not snowing here.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       01-16-2009, 8:36 AM Reply   
That boat looks sweet to me! I'd rock it. Everyone said the X-Star was ugly too when it first came out. Now everyone loves them. Sure it's not exactly "price point" but hey if it's loaded at 46k, then it's comparable to an XLV. Also a hell of a lot cheaper then a VLX.
Old     (rwb_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-16-2009, 9:56 AM Reply   
Not sure about the boat, but like the wheels on the trailer, was just hoping they are not on a lot of other trailers as it's good to be unique:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/658597.html?1232119137
Old     (atlmobiuslsv)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-18-2009, 8:02 PM Reply   
cool boat with some cool ideas and features. i had a chance to sit in it at the ATL show. very well thought out boat. fit and finish seems to be lacking a bit, seems chaep in some areas but really nice in others. As for the overall look of the boat it was to choppy for my taste.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-19-2009, 1:27 PM Reply   
I walked up to one this weekend...pushed on the side of the hull, saw more flex than I've ever seen in a wakeboat..

..then I walked away.
Old     (ifinallygota21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-20-2009, 4:57 AM Reply   
I was excited to see it at the show and after looking at it I was not impressed. you can get a moomba for the same price. I agree with NAW as well, pushed on the side and got flashbacks from the movie One Crazy Summer, when one of the actors put his hand on the boat to rest and went through the side. bottom line is that it is a great idea on paper but the execution leaves something to be had.