Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (GoBeavs85)      Join Date: Jul 2015       08-24-2018, 1:44 PM Reply   
We finally bought a surf boat this summer and my daughter immediately set the goal of surfing on her own. It took her all summer and a lot of falls but she is getting there! We made this little video to remember her hard work this summer and to share with friends that have their own future surfers. We aren’t pro videographers obviously, but this is a fun way to record the memory! Hopefully the link works so you can see the vid. https://youtu.be/s4r3H6VUmMg
Old     (Padge)      Join Date: Feb 2017       08-25-2018, 3:42 AM Reply   
Awesome! Always fun teaching kids. One way that I think helps most is have them put the arches of their feet on the swim platform and give them the rope. You pull them by hand simulating the boat taking off. That way they can fell what it feels like and stand up at the same time. I have never taken a child out that they didn’t get up the first day. This method usually kicks on a lightbulb in their head. I also see them try to stay bent over, cause the rope to pull them off the board. Standing up straighter and knees slightly bent helps with that. Glad you got to experience that with your daughter now go and get her riding ropeless!
Old     (GoBeavs85)      Join Date: Jul 2015       08-25-2018, 8:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padge View Post
Awesome! Always fun teaching kids. One way that I think helps most is have them put the arches of their feet on the swim platform and give them the rope. You pull them by hand simulating the boat taking off. That way they can fell what it feels like and stand up at the same time. I have never taken a child out that they didn’t get up the first day. This method usually kicks on a lightbulb in their head. I also see them try to stay bent over, cause the rope to pull them off the board. Standing up straighter and knees slightly bent helps with that. Glad you got to experience that with your daughter now go and get her riding ropeless!

You are so right! We practiced on the platform just like you said the night that she finally got up her first time. I usually do that with all the adults we teach. I don’t know why it took me so long to try it with her!
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       08-27-2018, 6:59 AM Reply   
Nice video. It's great to see kids work hard and reach their goals. I had the same experience with my daughter this summer. She frequently fell after getting up because she would be "trapped" behind the wake or fall as she tried to get into the wake. My daughter also surfs regular so I would always start the boat with the wheel turned left. Making a quick 90 degree turn as I'm hitting the throttle to pull her up would start her in the wake so she would not have to go over it or get stuck behind it.
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       08-28-2018, 1:33 PM Reply   
That is so great!!! Best tip we have for beginners is arms straight, arms straight, arms straight!!! You can even see in your video as she starts to get it the moment she pulls her arms in she goes down. Happens every time with people as we teach them. It is a very natural thing so everyone does it. My daughter and her friend have gotten so they can predict when people are going to fall as they learn because of pulling their arms in.

Love the determination and what a great video!!