Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-24-2017, 7:55 AM Reply   
I'm currently thinking about getting a new wakeboard. I'm a big guy 6' 300lbs. I currently have a Slingshot Nomad 160 wakeboard. I bought it because it was the biggest I could find thinking it would make it the easiest option (I'm a very entry level rider). I notice the Slingshot seems squirly and harder to control than a regular board and it sometimes even feels big. I'm considering trying to get a small pop off the wake this summer and think the slingshot might be too big although the bigger board may make landing easier. Am I crazy for thinking the Slingshot is much harder to control? If I bought something else what would I look for? It would still need to be a relatively bigger board. I used to have a 148 Hyperlite years ago that I liked
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-24-2017, 11:44 AM Reply   
I'm sure the Nomad will feel loose as it doesn't have any contour to the bottom of the board like some wake style boards. The Nomad is more of a cable style board in that it's really flat throughout on the bottom. That being said it means you have to learn to use the edges of the board to cut and not rely on the shape and fins.....which will ultimately make you a better rider.
Old     (MMPres)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-24-2017, 12:49 PM Reply   
Slingshots in general are more park specific as they are wood and can stand up to the punishment. The nomad is wake specific designed for bigger riders. I.E. more surface area intended for a bigger sweet-spot for pop and softer landings as the downward force is spread out more. (easier on the knees) The squirley sensation is just due to it being a featureless board (no channels or grooves) to direct the water underneath the board other than the fins or the rail. So it'll give you more of a locked in feeling when on edge, but not standing upright. It's a common sensation with Slingshot boards. Like Dave said, learning to rely more on the rail when carving around will ultimately make you more board savvy as your fundamentals will ultimately be stronger as you rely on the appropriate parts of the board to generate your edge. A board with more channels can trick you into thinking you are generating more edge as it will react to the water more aggressively than a featureless board would. Meaning you have to actually put the board (Slingshot) more on edge to gain speed than you may others; which builds better fundamentals if you ever wanted to progress your riding.

With all that being said. I ride a 145 Hyperlite Marek (5'8" 250), which has a few channels running through the center, and would, theoretically, give you a more locked in feeling when standing upright. If you can look at the boards in person beforehand, anything with channels, spines or features that run through the center will give you a relatively more locked in feel.

Honestly, since you shelled out all that dough for the nomad, I would give it another season and see if you can get used to it. The more time on the water the better. I would study all the videos that address edging and wake jumping. If it still feels loose, you need to work on your edging technique outside and between the wakes to ensure you can generate the appropriate speed to take it into the wake without eating ****. The man makes the equipment, not the other way around.
Old     (80AM)      Join Date: Apr 2016       01-26-2017, 6:43 AM Reply   
Honest question, have you wasted all winter and not lost any weight? You've still got 2-3 months to go man, start eating better and start running and that will do so much more for your riding than worrying about what board will work best. You get down to 250 and that Nomad will be so much better.

I say this as someone who was 290 and worked hard to get down to 200. It will change everything about your riding much more than a board will.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-26-2017, 6:54 AM Reply   
Hey RM - Do a quick search I have wrote about all the big boards several times. I am 300+ and do inverts and spins and have rode every board over 142 pretty much.
Old     (MMPres)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-26-2017, 10:00 AM Reply   
@Buffalow- After reading up on all the 150 Murray talk, I feel like I'm missing out. You had mentioned the Kruz and Trip as previous boards you had tried, have you given the most recent shape of the Marek a shot? Mine's a '15, but I don't think there's been any alterations from what I gather in the '16 or '17 models. Is there any sort of comparison you could provide? I was astonished by how many guys had attested to improvement in their riding as well as it being less strain on the body. Being a bigger guy like yourself, both things are highly desirable at this point. Granted, I'm making a concerted effort to be more in shape for this upcoming season, but if there's a competitive advantage I could achieve otherwise I would welcome it.
Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       01-27-2017, 12:35 PM Reply   
I'm 6'4 240lbs and ride a 2016 Nomad 160. It's the second board I've owned. Learned to ride on a 146 LF trip. The Trip had a center fin and deep grooves so it kept me locked on to the water no matter what I did, but once I switched to the Nomad I realized the center fin and traction was just a crutch when riding. Learning to edge hard with the Nomad was much more fulfilling and now there is no way I would even strap in to my old board even though I still have it. I don't even notice the huge size of the Nomad to be honest. I do love the soft landings I get when i hit the wake to wake correctly. I also now enjoy how easily I can break it loose for sessions that I don't feel like riding hard wake to wake non stop. Just ride out hard to the flats and slide that bad boy around.

I used to weight 285 and got down to 235 in 3 months so it is very doable! Now I'm right at 240.
Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       01-27-2017, 12:39 PM Reply   
Also just to add you will pick up the finding the correct way to use the edge on the Nomad faster than you think. When I first hopped on it I thought I was never going to get the edge as hard as my old board... One month later and I was ripping that thing so hard out everyone in the boat would make comments on how I'd pull the boat to that side(24.5 Supra SE)
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-31-2017, 6:54 AM Reply   
Adam - I find all the mareks nice and aggressive.The issues I found with them is that if I was on my game that day, I was happy as can be, if I was a little bit off, it was like starting all over. The Trip was ALWAYS a consistent board for me and my go to when starting the season or coming back form injury. It never had the kick of the other boards, but I could do my full trick list every time. The nomad is super fun, but as I explained in another thread, I believe it was too soft for my weight. It was awesome sliding around and such and I could force my inverts, but never got the snap right on the wake. I find the Murray the sweet spot on all of the bigger boards. It still has great pop and soft landings but I find it incredibly consistent. After 20+ years of riding and lots of moving parts in my life, I find I have off days too common and so the marek just left me frustrated many days. It is not the boards fault, but for my style I just had days where I did not want to trade any longer. I got on the Murray and my sets are linger, the crashes less, and I always want to ride more. I have been trying tricks I have not done in years due to my confidence.

Not sure if you are in the area, but once it warms up you can come out and ride all 4 of the boards on my boat if you want to try them all.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       01-31-2017, 9:22 AM Reply   
I learned on a hyperlite, 144 with the wood care, cant remember the name it was a buddies. I then bought my own which was a 146 liquid force trip, which I loved. I updated to a 144 liquid force witness and I love the board, I too do 180s, go wake to wake, working on going inverted, its great board for it, I just wuss out once I land. HA I am now 293, but at my most was 316, ex football player in college so size doesn't mean you cant have fun. I will tell you the biggest thing is get a true wake board rope, that matters a lot as well!
Old     (MMPres)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-31-2017, 9:50 AM Reply   
Unfortunately, Jason, I live in AL. So a trip over there to try out some boards would not be feasible for my current situation. However, your input is valuable. My stoke for this next season is bigger than it's been in a while. Yours and other's input makes me really want to scoop up that new Murray. I would definitely go with the 150 as my size would justify it. And even if I do loose a significant amount of weight, what's the harm in having a bigger board? If I ever make a trip that direction though, I'll look you up and see what we can make happen. Same goes for you. You're welcome anytime.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-31-2017, 4:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMPres View Post
Unfortunately, Jason, I live in AL. So a trip over there to try out some boards would not be feasible for my current situation. However, your input is valuable. My stoke for this next season is bigger than it's been in a while. Yours and other's input makes me really want to scoop up that new Murray. I would definitely go with the 150 as my size would justify it. And even if I do loose a significant amount of weight, what's the harm in having a bigger board? If I ever make a trip that direction though, I'll look you up and see what we can make happen. Same goes for you. You're welcome anytime.
I am am 5'9 and 230lbs. I currently ride the Ronix Parks 145. I highly recommend getting the Murray 150. I rode a 142 Lyman for a while but it tired me out. The 145 doesn't have that affect. I feel like the Murray 150 would be perfect. Slingshot Nomad 160 is also a good choice. I feel like the stiff board floats better so what you loose in surface area, you gain in boyance.
Old     (MMPres)      Join Date: Dec 2013       02-03-2017, 7:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Yours and other's input makes me really want to scoop up that new Murray. I would definitely go with the 150 as my size would justify it. And even if I do loose a significant amount of weight, what's the harm in having a bigger board?
Speaking of which, I'm most likely going to offload my Marek and go all in on the Murray. If anyone is interested in a '15 145 (neonish red version), let me know. Still in pristine condition. Only been ridden for one season and only behind the boat. I had a '14 that I rode through part of 2015 and 2016, broke it and Hyperlite gave me a '15 as a replacement. Great board (fast, aggressive, good pop) and have been very happy with it, just looking for a change. I'll be posting the add for it soon, but was looking to see if anyone was interested before I did so.
Old     (MMPres)      Join Date: Dec 2013       02-14-2017, 11:30 PM Reply   
Bump to the top. Posted the ad in classifieds. Lightly used, in great condition, and looking for a new home.
Old     (Connolly_Crew)      Join Date: Mar 2016       02-15-2017, 2:53 PM Reply   
Quote:

Where in Ala are you?
Hoover here, we boat mostly at Smith Lake.
Old     (MMPres)      Join Date: Dec 2013       02-15-2017, 10:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connolly_Crew View Post
Where in Ala are you?
Hoover here, we boat mostly at Smith Lake.
We live in Calera and boat primarily on Mitchell. Although we have some friends up on Smith and might be making a few trips up there this summer.
Old     (Connolly_Crew)      Join Date: Mar 2016       02-18-2017, 11:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
We live in Calera and boat primarily on Mitchell. Although we have some friends up on Smith and might be making a few trips up there this summer.

Btw, you can ride my Murray 150 and see if you like it!
Old     (cmurr)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-18-2017, 12:53 PM Reply   
I appreciate all the information you guys are providing in this thread. I'm 6'7" 300lbs and have been wanting to upgrade from my 142 Watson. I'm was trying to decide between the LF Trip 146 and Nomad 160, but now I am thinking about the Murray 150 after the positive reviews. Anybody have and suggestions based on my size which one would be best?

Aside from the board, I am also struggling finding bindings that fit since I wear a size 15 shoe. I've been able to find LF Transits come in 12-15 so I may give them a shot, but does anybody else have any suggestions?
Old     (perfski)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-19-2017, 7:13 AM Reply   
Hey RM If you need a deal on last years transits we still have the 12-15. $169.99 http://www.perfski.com/liquid-force-...nsit-binding54 . Also might consider investing in the new Ronix Network boots as they offer REALLY REALLY Good support..which important. Checked on closeouts Nomads and larger Murrays, but those are gone...do have new ones. Also do have ALOT of Demo Wakeboards from our demo fleet online now! http://www.perfski.com/wake/wakeboards/demo-wakeboards http://www.perfski.com/wake/wakeboards/demo-wakeboards
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-19-2017, 7:55 AM Reply   
Hey Chris - I also have size 15 - I switch between open toe Hyperlite and Ronix bindings. For sure the 150 is the way to go for you. There are not many of us this big that actually ride, so there has not been equipment made fro use until recently.
Old     (cmurr)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-19-2017, 9:07 AM Reply   
Thank you for the info. I am definitely pumped that they started making big guy wakeboard stuff. I've had my 142 Watson since '07 since it was one of the bigger boards back then. I still love it, but need to ride 25-26 to avoid the drag. I am looking forward to trying a bigger board to see if it helps.
Old     (cmurr)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-19-2017, 9:26 AM Reply   
How does the Murray 150 compare to the Slingshot 160 for reducing the drag? Does 1 need a faster boat speed than the other?

Has anybody ridden the 2017 nomad? I heard they made it stiffer, but wanted to hear if anybody has any ride time with it. I am definitely intrigued by both boards, just don't know anybody that has ridden them. Most of the guys I ride with are much smaller and are all riding 138's...
Old     (Onebadssv)      Join Date: Feb 2016       02-19-2017, 2:47 PM Reply   
Chris I ride a 155 nomad and LOVE it. I'm 6"0 230. I also ride a 144 hyperlite keys for comparison. As far as rideability the nomad rides like it is much smaller. It is a little looser on the water due to the extra size but good lord it is stable and forgiving. Using the same lines and same style riding I actually jump farther on the nomad and higher on the kruz. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to recommend it to anyone.
Old     (MMPres)      Join Date: Dec 2013       02-20-2017, 5:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connolly_Crew View Post
Btw, you can ride my Murray 150 and see if you like it!
I appreciate the offer. I may take you up on that. Depending on whether or not I can move my own. I think I'm sold without even riding it yet, and have it in mind to strap it to my feet for my first set this year. So if all goes well, we may both be riding it if we ever cross paths.
Old     (MMPres)      Join Date: Dec 2013       03-03-2017, 1:01 PM Reply   
Bump. Great setup looking for a new home. Look in the classifieds. Make me an offer. $425 OBO
Old     (MMPres)      Join Date: Dec 2013       03-06-2017, 8:44 AM Reply   
So need a little help here guys. I literally have this board posted everywhere I can think of. Haven't really had any bites and was curious as to why considering it's a pretty nice setup. Is it just cause it's not the next greatest thing on the market? Price is too high? To early to expect a response with summer still a few months away for most? Any help would be appreciated.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-09-2017, 6:57 AM Reply   
Yes adaM, too early in the season. Even in California, we are not riding yet, especially with Delta being blocked currently. Need to give it 30-60 days.