Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (gator808)      Join Date: Jun 2014       02-14-2016, 4:03 PM Reply   
I posted this on planet nautique but figured I may be able to hear some insight from other boat owners in regards to adding additional sacs and installation.

So I am about to order bags and the plumbing to install on my boat. I am trying to save some coin here and this was my idea and was curious if anybody else has installed theres like this. I want to put in a "Y" valve off of the existing pumps for the rear bags. I was thinking I could just fill the aftermarket bags first and once they were full I could switch the valve to the stock bags. I figured I would have to do it this way so the system doesn't know if the stock bags are full or not which would in turn automatically cut off the pumps. Then when I fill up the stock bags the system will work as normal. I know this will take longer to fill my boat up with ballast but I don't feel like drilling holes in my boat or throwing pumps over the side as well. Up front I am going to use lead. What do you guys think?
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-14-2016, 4:06 PM Reply   
I think it depends on how the G calculates its fill times.

More than likely the timing is programmed (IE. the computer will run pump for 12min to fill and 12min to drain), so you would likely have to increase the times to fill and drain to accommodate both.
Old     (gator808)      Join Date: Jun 2014       02-14-2016, 4:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
I think it depends on how the G calculates its fill times.

More than likely the timing is programmed (IE. the computer will run pump for 12min to fill and 12min to drain), so you would likely have to increase the times to fill and drain to accommodate both.
Do you know if that would be a easy setting change or a reprogramming change I would have to take to the dealership?
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-15-2016, 4:47 AM Reply   
Nautique uses fill times to control ballast pumps and yes you can change them, but it's not that big of deal to just hit the full button again once the pumps shut off. Install a Y valve or just overflowing into the sacs it really doesn't matter, you will lose control over your pump timer when using the extra sac. I would just go the standard overflow install route and be done with it. Cheapest and most proven PNP install on Nautiques.
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-15-2016, 9:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator808 View Post
I posted this on planet nautique but figured I may be able to hear some insight from other boat owners in regards to adding additional sacs and installation.

So I am about to order bags and the plumbing to install on my boat. I am trying to save some coin here and this was my idea and was curious if anybody else has installed theres like this. I want to put in a "Y" valve off of the existing pumps for the rear bags. I was thinking I could just fill the aftermarket bags first and once they were full I could switch the valve to the stock bags. I figured I would have to do it this way so the system doesn't know if the stock bags are full or not which would in turn automatically cut off the pumps. Then when I fill up the stock bags the system will work as normal. I know this will take longer to fill my boat up with ballast but I don't feel like drilling holes in my boat or throwing pumps over the side as well. Up front I am going to use lead. What do you guys think?
Good thinking. The G boats use a pressure monitoring system to calculate the level. By filling the auxiliary bags first you should be good. It will trick the computer system into allowing extra pump operation. You will need to drain the aux bag before the factory bag as that is when you would run into trouble. Have fun and always bring a spare portable pump just in case.
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-15-2016, 11:45 AM Reply   
I'm not sure I agree with this. Nautiques all have a sensor in the hard tanks to monitor level, but they only take readings at start up. This means coding out to ground zero, entering code and starting. All fill and drain settings are based on time. The pumps will shut off before drain time expires if they run dry for a set amount of time, but they will fill and pump water through overflow outlets until full time is complete. Point being if you fill aux bags first, LINC will think you are filling your hard tank and will indicate that on your ballast screen until you do a code shut down and restart.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-15-2016, 5:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarcreek216V View Post
I'm not sure I agree with this. Nautiques all have a sensor in the hard tanks to monitor level, but they only take readings at start up. This means coding out to ground zero, entering code and starting. All fill and drain settings are based on time. The pumps will shut off before drain time expires if they run dry for a set amount of time, but they will fill and pump water through overflow outlets until full time is complete. Point being if you fill aux bags first, LINC will think you are filling your hard tank and will indicate that on your ballast screen until you do a code shut down and restart.
The '14 G doesn't have hard tanks.
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-15-2016, 5:42 PM Reply   
There you have it, did not know that.

There are a ton of ballast threads on Planetnautique, sure you can find a couple of setups that will get you what you are looking for.
Old     (RideGull)      Join Date: Apr 2012       02-20-2016, 5:31 AM Reply   
The G's use both timers and ballast senders to monitor level. Adding an overflow system will still correctly show stock ballast levels but will require you to run the pumps multiple times depending on the size of the extra bags.